Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  (Read 95753 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #1440 on: June 12, 2016, 12:50:30 pm »
Yeah I'm going to give new game+ a go now as haven't done it before on witcher.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 13, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »
Playing Hearts of Stone, and I prefer it to the main game, actually. Very different quests.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline vipere

• Marshall
  • Renown: 793
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Lunasa
« Reply #1442 on: June 13, 2016, 10:24:29 pm »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 14, 2016, 10:24:10 pm »
The quest gameplay itself in Hearts of Stone is nice, but the plot is a bit forced at times. Like it makes absolutely no sense Geralt would allow Olgierd's brother to possess his body -- especially next to Shani. All he knows about him is that he was a bandit and a rapist.

Not that the DLC's premise as a whole makes much sense - Geralt agrees to fulfill three wishes of a bandit because.... uh.... I got nothing. There's some hesitation on Geralt's part before he agrees to it, he even says he's not agreed to anything, then the next time he speaks he's like "oh sure I'll do whatever you want bruh."
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1444 on: June 14, 2016, 10:29:32 pm »
Yeah the second DLC is a bit cheesy in that it's basically Seven with vampires.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 16, 2016, 10:50:05 pm »
Disabling Bloom is pretty much a must in Blood and Wine. I thought it was pretty much unplayable with bloom enabled.

That said, the DLCs are both really good, and Witcher 3 does what it wants to do almost flawlessly, as a game. Closest to a 100/100 game I've ever played.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:14:45 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #1446 on: June 16, 2016, 11:52:58 pm »
Not that the DLC's premise as a whole makes much sense - Geralt agrees to fulfill three wishes of a bandit because.... uh.... I got nothing. There's some hesitation on Geralt's part before he agrees to it, he even says he's not agreed to anything, then the next time he speaks he's like "oh sure I'll do whatever you want bruh."

It is because he owes O'dimm his life at that point and although his darker identity is unknown during the initial conversation, I think Geralt already has an idea about what he is up against. Besides, there is the strange mark that is burnt on his face. Who knows what it might cause, in case Geralt hesitates to agree with O'dimm's demands? That also explains the possession business and why Geralt deigned to accept it.

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1447 on: June 17, 2016, 10:26:46 am »
That's the ending I got as well. Reached an alternative one by reloading a save. Suffice to say it didn't end pleasantly either. There are no 100% happy endings as usual. No blacks and whites, but grays all around the place. I don't know though. Maybe there are other alternative endings? I didn't want to google it. I have just started a new game+ and would like to try other options to see if I can change things this time.
(click to show/hide)
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 17, 2016, 11:19:50 pm »
+1
It is because he owes O'dimm his life at that point and although his darker identity is unknown during the initial conversation, I think Geralt already has an idea about what he is up against. Besides, there is the strange mark that is burnt on his face. Who knows what it might cause, in case Geralt hesitates to agree with O'dimm's demands? That also explains the possession business and why Geralt deigned to accept it.
O'Dimm hardly carried him out of there on his gentle palm, Geralt had to fight a dozen bad guys while tied up to get free. And in any case, even if Geralt "owed O'Dimm his life", that doesn't mean it makes sense for him to become a complete puppet for the guy, especially when it's clear he's evil. A strange mark on his face that "might potentially maybe" cause something is hardly enough reason to let Shani get raped and murdered. It's just not in-character for Geralt in the slightest, considering everything else he does. He's more of a "fuck it, let's roll the dice" kind of a guy than a timid "o-okay, I really don't wanna be hurt, I'll do whatever you say sir" kind of guy.

That's just a minor complaint overall though, I really liked the DLC and O'Dimm.

Also the Manticore armor is the first and only armor in the game that I'm more or less completely happy with. New Moon was too dress-y and "empty", no belts, no witcher potions, Manticore armor has it all.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 18, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »
@Weren: Didn't really think that was possible. Nice to hear though. Maybe I can make it this time as well.

@Xant: The whole thing about becoming the evil's puppet isn't all so foreign an idea to me, because Geralt does lots of things just to survive and get himself out of messy situations. This was just one of those situations. And I said, I believe Geralt already knows there is more to O'dimm than meets the eye.

The actual stupid event occurred when Geralt didn't act rationally enough, and did a tremendously stupid thing as even letting Shani be nearby a necromancy fest instead. In fact, it was equally stupid to see Shani roaming dark underground tunnels full of corpses done in by such a dangerous creatures as the Toad Prince when you first met her. I guess it would make better sense, if Shani wasn't essentially involved with the possession.

Also, on another note, I can't help but wonder. How is it so easy for a random spirit to possess Geralt anyway? He couldn't even prevent it.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 18, 2016, 10:38:39 pm »
"This was just one of those situations." Name even one similar situation.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 18, 2016, 10:48:08 pm »
Bringing back a goat with a bell in hand. Just so that he can eventually obtain some information on Ciri.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: June 18, 2016, 11:47:32 pm »
You're comparing bringing a goat back to its owner to becoming the puppet of Satan?

... Okay.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: June 19, 2016, 01:02:08 am »
Well, you asked about another example of "that's so not Geralt". There you go. Not about to compare scale of examples (this sounded like Geralt though :D).

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 19, 2016, 01:29:24 am »
Well, you asked about another example of "that's so not Geralt". There you go. Not about to compare scale of examples (this sounded like Geralt though :D).
I have literally no idea what you're talking about.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.