Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 157041 times)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #2625 on: June 20, 2016, 10:59:24 pm »
I'm wondering more why Ramsay didn't just gather his remaining men and armed them all with bows/crossbows and position them in front of the gate to rain down fire on every fucker who came through there.

Because every character on GoT has plot armor until it's their time to die, at which point they break character and do stupid things.

Yup another of my gripes that giant could have bloody well just run through them all and there's bugger all they could have done. That pike/shield wall was so think it would have been simple.

But no Wun Wun is the gentle giant.

Wun Wun would have been  hella OP if he only remembered to BRING A FUCKING WEAPON. How hard would it be for him to grab a nearby tree and use it as a club? He did just fine at Hardholme. Shit, if for some reason he couldn't get a tree at least grab a horse's corpse and flail it around... it was pitiful how dumb they made him seem when he tried to grab at the pikemen, who obviously had pikes to perfectly counter him.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #2626 on: June 20, 2016, 11:16:57 pm »
+1

They're too proud of things that we cringe

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 20, 2016, 11:55:42 pm »
+5
The entire battle just was not written in a way that makes sense. Its like the writers can only come up with one move or stratagem at a time, while not being able to simultaneously think of a way for the other side to react in a sensible or logical way, or keep track of what other types of troops could be doing that are not part of the stratagem. Now its archers firing, now the cavalry charges, now its surround with infantry time, now Jon's army does nothing. Its just a string of gimmicks that leaves dozens of gaps in which you can wonder "why X did not use Y" or "what happened to troop type Z" during pretty much any battle shot. And then they brag about how their gimmicks were inspired by historical battles, lol. Also, the lack of reserves, a chain of command and scouts makes everything seem even more silly.

Perhaps I am just too much of a military history nerd and nobody else is bothered by this, but I recall that battles in the books did not come across as if the military tradition of Westeros was left at 3.000 BC. Ah well, at least most of the episode looked really good. It seems like a lot of budget went into two big battles and they felt reasonably large. The horse charge scene with Jon fighting among it looked was deliciously brutal. The Vale horse charge was pretty cool too.

Can anyone remind me why Littlefinger decided to take the Vale north to wreck the Boltons again, I can't recall anything that makes sense? I am not sure how the North situation will be resolved now, since Littlefinger is a greedy bitch and he is the only one left with an army up there. Also, Dany went from being a hobo lost somewhere in the boonies to being all geared up for a Westeros invasion in like three episodes, pretty stupid.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #2628 on: June 21, 2016, 12:25:04 am »

A more in depth look at the design behind the battle.

They really took the bodies making a barrier thing a little too literally. Sure a wall of bodies a couple high would be quite possible. But those were proper neatly stacked hills of bodies. Piled up like they had time to clear up and make a stack. Not to mention that they took that from the civil war era. Medieval battles, bar a few in particular that I can think of had relatively low numbers of serious casualties. Most of the battles that had significant numbers were in routs where an army was given no quarter when they fled or straight up slaughters.

Can anyone remind me why Littlefinger decided to take the Vale north to wreck the Boltons again, I can't recall anything that makes sense? I am not sure how the North situation will be resolved now, since Littlefinger is a greedy bitch and he is the only one left with an army up there. Also, Dany went from being a hobo lost somewhere in the boonies to being all geared up for a Westeros invasion in like three episodes, pretty stupid.

Littlefinger is actually one of the few things that does make sense. He's saved Jon Snow, who isn't a Stark so ultimately isn't a threat. The only Stark left that anyone knows of is Sansa, who is now a widow. Littlefinger is hungry for land and power, he will literally do anything to get it. Whether it be betrayal, changing sides ect ect. He's arguably the best at the political game in the show. If he can pretty much force Sansa into marriage through obligation he'll be one of the most powerful men in Westeros to back it up. Seeing as the name is the one thing Littlefinger lacks besides wealth, and now an army, by marrying a Stark he gets as close as he can get to a noble lineage.

I think there's even a bit in the show a few seasons back where he talks about the fact no one takes him seriously because he's not from a 'great' family and he's spiteful because of it. Increasing his wealth and power so he can challenge the status quo is pretty much what he's all about, with a little bit of pure greed thrown in.

That would take his tally of control up to the North, Harrenhall (forgotten if he still technically controls that in the show) and the Vale. Which is pretty nuts.

Not to mention the entire sequence of events that leads Ned Stark into Kings Landing was started by Littlefinger. He's pretty much the reason everything got so fucked up in the first place. He sows chaos because he's smart enough to manoeuvre himself to come out on top in it all.

I'm kind of wondering how they will deal with him. He's the snake in the grass and most of the characters, especially the Stark's, have been too naive to see it until it was too late. At some point they are going to have to drag him down.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:51:00 am by Overdriven »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #2629 on: June 21, 2016, 01:25:27 am »
+6
Clearly Rikkon has never played Warband.....or doesn't have a working brain.

Maybe put a little zig or a zag in that straight line dash down the field.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: June 21, 2016, 01:31:00 am »
+2
When I saw him running this was the only thing in my mind. Y u no zig zag?!

Also this is basically CRPG 2-3 years ago when Great Khans were everywhere and u as 2h'er were left alone against incoming cav. Jon Snow was about to lolstab them all

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #2631 on: June 21, 2016, 01:32:42 am »
Also, HOW FUCKING OLD HAS HE GOTTEN? Isn't he supposed to be like five/six and Bran something like nine?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #2632 on: June 21, 2016, 01:54:57 am »

Also this is basically CRPG 2-3 years ago when Great Khans were everywhere and u as 2h'er were left alone against incoming cav. Jon Snow was about to lolstab them all
(click to show/hide)

Ha back when we used to have 20 of us on at a time using a server for training purposes. Ah banner balance.

Rickon in the books was only like 3 when it all started. But we gave up on ages from season 1 considering Danerys was 14 and Arya 8. I think Rob, Jon and Theon were only about 18.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #2633 on: June 21, 2016, 02:07:59 am »
+2
Can they atleast fucking try

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Look at this ugly cunt, I wanna kick him in the groin

(click to show/hide)

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 21, 2016, 03:35:53 am »
+1
Clearly Rikkon has never played Warband.....or doesn't have a working brain.

Maybe put a little zig or a zag in that straight line dash down the field.

oh wait wrong show sry

so while we are at it
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:03:11 am by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #2635 on: June 21, 2016, 08:01:00 am »
+2
im still hoping for the cringy womenpower to end:
after all we had a short tinder of insanity in daenarys when she wanted to burn all the cities to the ground.
and the dude that gave sansa to a sadistic rapist just saved the north.
maybe some interesting shit is yet to come.

all in all loved the battle too tho,  aaaah cav.  QQ where'd my crpg go
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 21, 2016, 10:53:48 am »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 21, 2016, 11:33:22 am »
+1
Yeah what is it with these cute kids growing up to have the most punchable faces, this guy too:

(click to show/hide)

Offline vipere

• Marshall
  • Renown: 793
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Lunasa
« Reply #2638 on: June 21, 2016, 12:21:55 pm »
+3
What a shitty door for the king of the North fortress.

no portcullis, no moat, even the blackfish little castle had all of this

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 21, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »
+2
You really had to turn your brain off when it came to a lot of things that episode (battle tactics, corpse piles, Jon surviving, Daenerys dragons, etc), but as pure entertainment it was good.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.