Poll

Do 2 Handers deserve a nerf of some kind?

Of course, and a significant one.
10 (23.3%)
Maybe if its a mild nerf.
4 (9.3%)
Other weapons should get a buff to compensate, instead of a 2H nerf.
6 (14%)
No, the ratio of power between the melee classes are fine.
19 (44.2%)
Trolls don't vote on such pesky human matters.
2 (4.7%)
Speed up the game speed in order to compensate.
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: May 21, 2012, 10:47:30 am

Author Topic: 2 Handers  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Handers
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2012, 10:35:02 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Finally some wise advice.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2012, 10:35:33 pm »
They brought shields until they developped plate armor that are arrow proof, something the cRPG plate isn't.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 10:41:38 pm »
There are only three problems with 2h, and two of them are problems with every melee weapon type:

1. The 2h "sweet spot" is too big: someone can start a right swing, and turn into the swing so it makes contact while the weapon is still behind their right shoulder, and it hits for full damage. Compare that to 1h right swing, which will glance during the first ~40% of the swing animation. Side swings from every weapon should only hit for full damage if the target is within about +/-45 degrees directly in front of them.

2. All thrust attacks are more effective when you thrust in the wrong direction then spin into your opponent. This is stupid and unrealistic. In the real world, if you wanted to poke someone with a weapon, you poked straight at them. Doing this in cRPG usually causes you to glance, so people have taught themselves to spinthrust, which looks ridiculous, but is highly effective. 2H just happen to be most able to take advantage of this ridiculous mechanic, because of the huge reach on the 2h thrust. However, it's equally silly with an awlpike or espada.

3. Currently, you can overhead someone, miss, then drag your weapon along the ground until you make contact for full damage. Good players deliberately abuse this mechanic to kill people after they thought it was safe to drop their block. 2h has the longest-duration (and reach) overhead animation, so they are most able to abuse this mechanic, although polearm and 1h can also use this tactic to a lesser extent.

Fix the three issues above, then tone down pole stagger, and a lot of the whining about melee mechanics would go away. Then everyone could go back to whining about archers, to which I say just bring a damn shield like everyone else in the history of warfare did.

Exactly that. Make sure weapons have huge chance of bouncing outside of ideal attack angle (fixes point 1), then introduce a character turn rate limit while swinging (fixes both 2 and 3 at the same time). While you're at it, maybe also make the crosshair of ranged go wide when they turn fast while holding a shot.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2012, 10:44:47 pm »
While you're at it, maybe also make the crosshair of ranged go wide when they turn fast while holding a shot.

Already in game.

+1 Phew

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »
There are only three problems with 2h, and two of them are problems with every melee weapon type:

1. The 2h "sweet spot" is too big: someone can start a right swing, and turn into the swing so it makes contact while the weapon is still behind their right shoulder, and it hits for full damage. Compare that to 1h right swing, which will glance during the first ~40% of the swing animation. Side swings from every weapon should only hit for full damage if the target is within about +/-45 degrees directly in front of them.

2. All thrust attacks are more effective when you thrust in the wrong direction then spin into your opponent. This is stupid and unrealistic. In the real world, if you wanted to poke someone with a weapon, you poked straight at them. Doing this in cRPG usually causes you to glance, so people have taught themselves to spinthrust, which looks ridiculous, but is highly effective. 2H just happen to be most able to take advantage of this ridiculous mechanic, because of the huge reach on the 2h thrust. However, it's equally silly with an awlpike or espada.

3. Currently, you can overhead someone, miss, then drag your weapon along the ground until you make contact for full damage. Good players deliberately abuse this mechanic to kill people after they thought it was safe to drop their block. 2h has the longest-duration (and reach) overhead animation, so they are most able to abuse this mechanic, although polearm and 1h can also use this tactic to a lesser extent.

Fix the three issues above, then tone down pole stagger, and a lot of the whining about melee mechanics would go away. Then everyone could go back to whining about archers, to which I say just bring a damn shield like everyone else in the history of warfare did.
You could have saved yourself that stupid "bring shield"-sentence, spoiled your good post.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1115
  • Infamy: 2737
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2012, 01:53:36 am »
I'm totally okay with 1h buff, it is a bit UP. But shields must be nerfed in that case. Actually certain shielder builds. Make shields dependent on STR, nerf bundle of sticks builds like kinngrimm's.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2012, 01:59:52 am »

2h overhead does have a nasty tendency to clip objects that are behind you, even on flat ground.

Tested on the duel server, and even with no players or objects around your overhead will occasionally 'wiff' halfway through the animation.
Turtles

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2012, 04:58:32 am »
+1
2h overhead does have a nasty tendency to clip objects that are behind you, even on flat ground.

Tested on the duel server, and even with no players or objects around your overhead will occasionally 'wiff' halfway through the animation.

Long (100+ length) one handers can do it too, be it allies or a wall behind you. And naturally polearms do it all the time. I don't really like this tbh. Any non-retarded person would not strike from a horizontal backwards angle all the way up and down to the ground. It's completely unnecessary even if you want to get the greatest possible momentum.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2012, 12:41:43 pm »
Long (100+ length) one handers can do it too, be it allies or a wall behind you. And naturally polearms do it all the time. I don't really like this tbh. Any non-retarded person would not strike from a horizontal backwards angle all the way up and down to the ground. It's completely unnecessary even if you want to get the greatest possible momentum.
Yup, I have been saying this ever since we got early active attacks. Don't make swings active until they are atleast no longer behind you. The completely vertical and horizontal striking is something no person would do in IRL, so its not really fair to punish long weapons because they have retarded animations.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »
+1
I think it would be feasible to replace greatswords' stab with polearms', which feels more natural than the current, as long as polestagger is removed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:36:43 am by Patoson »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2012, 07:20:13 pm »
Leave everything as it is. If you guys haven't noticed there is extremely little threads of nerf x melee weapon, except from über bads or eternally biased people. Think the balance really is quite okay right now.

Offline joseph590

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2012, 04:25:35 am »
+1

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:37 am »
I'm totally okay with 1h buff, it is a bit UP. But shields must be nerfed in that case. Actually certain shielder builds. Make shields dependent on STR, nerf bundle of sticks builds like kinngrimm's.

Surprised I missed this. Strength 1h is pretty great with certain weapons imo. Biggest 1h change I would like would be to speed up right swing slightly, make it as fast as overhead.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2012, 09:44:53 pm »
Surprised I missed this. Strength 1h is pretty great with certain weapons imo

Lies and slander :P
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:55 am »
+1
I say buff katana, red wisby gauntlets, light leather boots, Turkish robe and Khergit lady leather hat, but nerf everything else.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.