21 (15.7%)
Strat sucks
31 (23.1%)
Strat sucks but I will enjoy the battles
35 (26.1%)
I like Strat and Chaos are still somehow the nerds here
47 (35.1%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: CHOPAS - Wat the Heck? (NA Faction)  (Read 629970 times)

Offline Rhalzo

• Duke
  • Renown: 599
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
Re: CHAOS - War is Hell (NA Faction)
« Reply #9255 on: April 12, 2014, 08:40:23 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rhalzo's already in Chaos' cooler older brother clan, he's fine riding his motorcycle around in a leather jacket smoking cigarettes with GIRLS, our little treehouse isn't his speed anymore.

Offline Rhalzo

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: April 14, 2014, 06:45:40 am »

Rhalzo's already in Chaos' cooler older brother clan, he's fine riding his motorcycle around in a leather jacket smoking cigarettes with GIRLS, our little treehouse isn't his speed anymore.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #9258 on: April 15, 2014, 01:16:55 am »
+2
Surprise, surprise. The $8 accessory pack came before the free part replacement.

we have
POST!
and UEFI BIOS!
and it recognized all the hardware!

Now to download windows.

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the qt crew
  • Game nicks: Kreczor_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Kreczor
« Reply #9259 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:42 am »
+1
Surprise, surprise. The $8 accessory pack came before the free part replacement.

we have
POST!
and UEFI BIOS!
and it recognized all the hardware!

Now to download windows.

Ow.

Good luck, I just replaced my case and stock fan for my CPU for a nice liquid cooling system from corsair. Only when the liquid cooling arrived, did I realise my last case was too small so a simple $80 upgrade turned into ~$250. Also finally got around to installing my SSD.

Yep. (My new case is fucking huge though, no wires anywhere and my cpu temp has decreased by over 40 degrees C)

Offline Canary

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:43 am »
+4
This all started because I was looking into upgrading my old GPU. I remembered that the biggest bottleneck on my old machine was the slow hard drive (5400 RPM WD green, hueahuhuheauheuheuhe) and that the core 2 quad and DDR2 RAM weren't so great either. By the time I looked into how shitty my motherboard was I realized I could just keep the old box the way it is (for when friend comes over? Yeah!) and build a whole PC from parts, which I'd not actually done before. Looking everything up was a lot of fun for me.

Status update: Prime95 stress testing reveals that I installed the HSF and in particular spread the thermal paste the right way, hurray! 54c peak temperature on one core is pretty cool. I have yet to do anything GPU intensive, will play video games soon. I'll install Warband onto SSD for maximum agi build computing. 

Windows 8 (or 8.1, I guess) not as bad as I was fully prepared for. I am still getting things set up the way I want, but it's going smoothly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:28:05 pm by Canary »

Offline Rhalzo

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: April 15, 2014, 06:17:52 pm »

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:27 am »
This all started because I was looking into upgrading my old GPU. I remembered that the biggest bottleneck on my old machine was the slow hard drive (5400 RPM WD green, hueahuhuheauheuheuhe) and that the core 2 quad and DDR2 RAM weren't so great either. By the time I looked into how shitty my motherboard was I realized I could just keep the old box the way it is (for when friend comes over? Yeah!) and build a whole PC from parts, which I'd not actually done before. Looking everything up was a lot of fun for me.

Status update: Prime95 stress testing reveals that I installed the HSF and in particular spread the thermal paste the right way, hurray! 54c peak temperature on one core is pretty cool. I have yet to do anything GPU intensive, will play video games soon. I'll install Warband onto SSD for maximum agi build computing. 

Windows 8 (or 8.1, I guess) not as bad as I was fully prepared for. I am still getting things set up the way I want, but it's going smoothly.

Building your first PC is always a great experience. Until you start to doubt your creation, or until you realize the PSU you bought can't keep a toaster alive for more than a year (rip diabolotek). Yea, windows 8 isn't that much of a BIG change, you'll only start to realize the annoying parts of it if you start dealing with the administration tasks etc. that you probably won't touch.

That's pretty awesome that you were able to keep the whole old box up and running though. I'm about to sell off my old parts to a buddy of mine whose never owned a desktop so I figured I'd grab $50 for a shitty case and some old 4GB ram chips. I'd build another box completely, but it seems there's a hole in my pocket cause there's never enough money! haha. Now that you've got some good specs, does that mean you'll finally ditch this game? :D

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #9263 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:09 am »
Now that you've got some good specs, does that mean you'll finally ditch this game? :D

Heresy

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #9264 on: April 16, 2014, 07:13:23 am »
Grats Canary! Somehow, these things work out even if not done perfectly. How much space do you have on your SSD? I pretty much put my OS and all the files I actively use on mine (240GB), and use my HDD as storage for things I don't really use much. If you need another, I definitely recommend waiting until Black Friday since I always see great SSD deals at that time.

It'll be another few years before I upgrade since I have no need for playing games on ultra high settings.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: April 16, 2014, 12:59:51 pm »
+1
Here is the full build with roughly the prices I paid, including shipping, combo discounts and rebates that I haven't received yet: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rXYD
*The case is depicted there as white with a window, but it is black and without one

edit: oh yeah, plus windows which was $120

Building your first PC is always a great experience. Until you start to doubt your creation, or until you realize the PSU you bought can't keep a toaster alive for more than a year (rip diabolotek). Yea, windows 8 isn't that much of a BIG change, you'll only start to realize the annoying parts of it if you start dealing with the administration tasks etc. that you probably won't touch.

That's pretty awesome that you were able to keep the whole old box up and running though. I'm about to sell off my old parts to a buddy of mine whose never owned a desktop so I figured I'd grab $50 for a shitty case and some old 4GB ram chips. I'd build another box completely, but it seems there's a hole in my pocket cause there's never enough money! haha. Now that you've got some good specs, does that mean you'll finally ditch this game? :D

Having a spare "fully" functional PC is something I really enjoyed last time I got a new computer, in like 2008/9. I had to install a new power supply twice before (valuable lesson for learning what everything is inside) and I'd made upgrades to the old one right when I got it, so this time I wasn't going in completely blind. It's a pity how 90% of what I learned about parts from before is entirely irrelevant now, though.

Status update: Played cRPG. cRPG, I will never quit you. Turned settings up to 11 and my GPU gave no fucks and didn't break a sweat. Only with maximum anti-aliasing did it get around 40% load. Will play more fancier games tomorrow/today?

I had to remake my character's face from memory. Retirement finally started to dilute that genepool a little I guess!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:24:03 pm by Canary »

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: April 16, 2014, 03:42:01 pm »
Here is the full build with roughly the prices I paid, including shipping, combo discounts and rebates that I haven't received yet: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rXYD
*The case is depicted there as white with a window, but it is black and without one

edit: oh yeah, plus windows which was $120

Having a spare "fully" functional PC is something I really enjoyed last time I got a new computer, in like 2008/9. I had to install a new power supply twice before (valuable lesson for learning what everything is inside) and I'd made upgrades to the old one right when I got it, so this time I wasn't going in completely blind. It's a pity how 90% of what I learned about parts from before is entirely irrelevant now, though.

Status update: Played cRPG. cRPG, I will never quit you. Turned settings up to 11 and my GPU gave no fucks and didn't break a sweat. Only with maximum anti-aliasing did it get around 40% load. Will play more fancier games tomorrow/today?

I had to remake my character's face from memory. Retirement finally started to dilute that genepool a little I guess!

Those are some pretty nice specs you have there. The only suggestions I'd make would be to throw out the ThermalTake and go straight for a Corsair HX series for PSU simply because I trust no one else. Also the CPU cooler, can get some pretty nice cheap liquid coolings for only $80.

If you still have your old HDD, you should be able to recover the characters, though I'm sure you know this already.

Grats Canary! Somehow, these things work out even if not done perfectly. How much space do you have on your SSD? I pretty much put my OS and all the files I actively use on mine (240GB), and use my HDD as storage for things I don't really use much. If you need another, I definitely recommend waiting until Black Friday since I always see great SSD deals at that time.

It'll be another few years before I upgrade since I have no need for playing games on ultra high settings.

Agreed on the second paragraph here. I'm still thinking of upgrading my Graphics and CPU by the end of the year from my tax rebate, but I doubt I have a need to anymore. I can run most games at High without issues, and now heat isn't even a problem anymore. Unless I plan to play the full experience of thief:http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=831&game=Thief%202014 I highly doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

It's nice to see more people getting involved in their tech and spending the time to ensure they get good parts though. I'd take some pictures of my new beast "TITANIUM", but he's not really a good looker.
Though, if you're curious, here's how he looks without parts: http://www.corsair.com/en/obsidian-series-750d-full-tower-atx-case

Offline ildist

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • hehexd
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS, THE MATES
  • Game nicks: Ildist_of_Chaos
« Reply #9267 on: April 16, 2014, 05:37:33 pm »