Author Topic: Katana Analyzed in Relation to the Bastard Sword  (Read 14498 times)

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mattress, Mattressi, Mattressii, Matturtle, Matthrow, Mattbalist, Superion_The_Tainted, Mattrun
Re: Katana Analyzed in Relation to the Bastard Sword
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 08:35:03 am »
Oh, and as far as the shape of the tip is concerned for thrusting, the difference is slight, and the advantage of weight and length would go to the katana. Conversely in the game, the bastard sword is the better thrust weapon. A dagger is a better thrust weapon in cRPG though it is one handed. Absurd.

You're arguing that the katana should be faster than the bastard sword because it has less weight AND it should have more thrust damage because it has less weight?? More weight = greater momentum = greater penetration.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jago
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 08:39:21 am »
Yes but the weight of the tip adds more momentum ot the blade than the weight near the hilt. A shorter blade has a more efficeint weight to speed ratio that is included in my calculations. Length of arm is irrelevant because it is assumed to be weilded by the same person.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 08:42:31 am »
You're arguing that the katana should be faster than the bastard sword because it has less weight AND it should have more thrust damage because it has less weight?? More weight = greater momentum = greater penetration.

No, it is after the modifications. Don't take my studies out of context. Please reivaluate my original post.

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mattress, Mattressi, Mattressii, Matturtle, Matthrow, Mattbalist, Superion_The_Tainted, Mattrun
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 08:44:22 am »
Yes but the weight of the tip adds more momentum ot the blade than the weight near the hilt. A shorter blade has a more efficeint weight to speed ratio that is included in my calculations. Length of arm is irrelevant because it is assumed to be weilded by the same person.

Again, address my calculations regarding the inclusion of the weight of the arms (their weight must be included, as they are part of the moving weight when a sword is swung). Otherwise, take your troll physics elsewhere.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 08:47:52 am »
The weight of the arms is irrelevant because they are the means inwhich the impulse is implied to the vehicle (the sword).

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 08:55:03 am »
The weight of the arms is irrelevant because they are the means inwhich the impulse is implied the the vehicle.

The weight of the arms is irrelevant if they are not being moved. As they're swinging with the sword, their weight must be considered. The shoulder muscles (as well as any muscles that may be used in the body if it is twisted) are the primary energy suppliers for the motion of the sword (and arms). To a lesser extent, the muscles in the arm will be used to move the forearm, meaning that a small amount of the weight can be ignored (because these muscles would not be moving that weight). However, if you want to argue over this negligible detail, you'll also have to come back and talk about the moment of inertia of each weapon and consider the energy output of each muscle.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 09:02:53 am »
The calculation of adding arm weight to weapon weight has already been done and is static. Adding arm weight to weapon weight and then recalculating the speeds would actually be adding the weight of the arm in twice.

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 09:08:47 am »
The calculation of adding arm weight to weapon weight has already been done and is static.

Where? By whom? Currently the weapon weights shown in the menu are only of the weapons themselves. If you're implying that your calculations somehow include the weight of the arms, you are wrong. The weight of the arms certainly does not change, as you have already stated. However, to compare the ratio of moving weights of the two weapons, the weight of the arms must be included (again, [19 + 1.8]/[19 + 1.25]), as I have already said.

Adding arm weight to weapon weight and then recalculating the speeds would actually be adding the weight of the arm in twice.

So, you're saying that the weapon weights already include the arm weight (meaning that you think that a human's arms weigh less than 1 pound, given that some weapon in game weigh this little or less)?

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 09:10:15 am »
It is automatically factored in by the game engine. Every character in the game is swinging swords with the same arms.

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:12 am »
It is automatically factored in by the game engine. Every character in the game is swinging swords with the same arms.

The base speed is the speed rating, then the character's WPF and agi are taken into account. So, to be 'automatically factored in', it means that the speed rating you're posting about has already taken into account the weight of the arms (which is exactly what my post showed). I'm glad we agree. Please troll elsewhere.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 09:19:51 am »
More condescension and bullshit from you.

Offline ITHROWSHIT

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 09:20:56 am »
By this logic I suggest we change the katana to 500 blunt damage but reduce the speed rating to 1.

actually weapon damage values cannot exceed 255, so 500 wraps around to 0 and back up to 245
so 245 blunt damage and speed rating 1

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 09:52:12 am »
okay, so the item team has come up with new katana stats:
["strange_sword"],   "Katana"   [("katana",0),("katana_scabbard",ixmesh_carry)],   itp_type_two_handed_wpn| itp_primary   itc_bastardsword|itcf_carry_katana|itcf_show_holster_when_drawn,weight(1.25)|difficulty(9)|spd_rtng(142) | weapon_length(95)|swing_damage(45, piercing) | thrust_damage(35 , pierce)   
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 09:59:45 am »
+1
Wow, 35 pierce damage and 142 speed. I can understand now why the mod is so poorly balanced.  The developers are incompetent, or maybe they are being sarcastic and childish to a member who is trying to help them balance the game.

Either way, it doesn't look good.

Try rereading my original post Fasadar, let me know what parts you don't understand and I will help you.

Let us have an actual discussion, this childish bullshit is becoming old.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:03:16 am by Jago »

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:31 am »
I cannot be arsed, Jego.
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos