Author Topic: 1h shield is too difficult at the moment  (Read 17337 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: 1h shield is too difficult at the moment
« Reply #240 on: September 15, 2011, 11:50:47 pm »
The thing about shield+spear, it is VERY powerful when sheathable. You can go anywhere on the map that you want with a spear + shield. May not be so great for offense, but it definitely aids your defense capabilities and helps you vs standard 1h+shield counters.

Archers? Shield
Cav? Range Bonus on spear stops cav, then change weapon for the kill
Horse archer/xbower? - both shield + spear
2v1 against opponent? Spear+shield with your buddy
Everything else? 1h weapon.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #241 on: September 15, 2011, 11:55:40 pm »
Groups of spear/shield can be deadly, since they can stab at your side, and once they hit you, they can spam that till your death. On Eu1, just today, you can see 4 Board Shield/awlpikes going together, led by Sultan Eren. And they're doing fine, imo.

Oh, and Zapper, about the "you bounce often with a spear/shield", l2p. All longpsear and pikeman know now how to aim at the side before going on the target, for speed bonus and such. Why shouldn't the shielder do that too ? Because they're used of just facehugging, block, slash, block, slash ? Not our fault.
And yes, i DO want at least one easy kill, that's the rock/paper/scisors thing, imaright. I get owned by archers, cav, got duels with 2h/Polearms and shield/1h, and can deal with more ease with longspear/pike and shield/spear. That's the way it is.
Yeah, I know that. But you forget that pikes/longspears are FASTER than a spear&shield. AND the enemy is gonna facehug you (unless complete retard), so there really isn't that much you can do alone. Yeah, with friends it works. Still. Nobody has given a proper reason as to why they shouldn't get one more attack direction. Nobody has still given a reason as to how that would be op.

And the glancing. Yeah, looking to the side then turn in works. I do it myself all the time. But there's also the glancing from speed bonus movement. You really need to both go towards each other to do decent damage, and if any of you are moving away then the likelyhood of bounces are almost certain.

EDIT:
The thing about shield+spear, it is VERY powerful when sheathable. You can go anywhere on the map that you want with a spear + shield. May not be so great for offense, but it definitely aids your defense capabilities and helps you vs standard 1h+shield counters.

Archers? Shield
Cav? Range Bonus on spear stops cav, then change weapon for the kill
Horse archer/xbower? - both shield + spear
2v1 against opponent? Spear+shield with your buddy
Everything else? 1h weapon.
Everything else 1h? Well that's not what we are talking about here. We are talking about having only shield&spear. A spear, 1h and Shield is VERY different from spear and Shield.

And while I agree with what you say about the rest. Spear&shield really HAVE a lot of defensive power. It's just that there is almost none offensive ones except for ganks (which it is good with). And I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again. Spear&shield isn't supposed to be the best thing when you are alone. But giving them ONE more attack direction wouldn't make them OP/super/OMFG UNFAIR or anything. It would just give them the POSSIBILITY to fight a duel without having to take the spear away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:59:11 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2011, 12:07:44 am »
Yeah, true. I was trying to understand the reasoning over making it weak in the first place. It's pretty versatile defense-wise.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:23 am »
not to mention that in the food chain of a mauler, the spearman is the EASIEST kill.

besides that, even a group of spearmen can't deal against a mauler paired with any other melee build.

and true too that a speaman with zero speed bonus, will glance with almost all non lashed thrusts.

so just with downblocking and footwork, you can survive for a long time versus several spearmen. while against other builds you get spammed and killed in seconds.

i support the spearman 2 attack directions idea. will add more depth to a less played build, but will still be a spearman... as we all know.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2011, 07:13:29 am »
Groups of spear/shield can be deadly, since they can stab at your side, and once they hit you, they can spam that till your death. On Eu1, just today, you can see 4 Board Shield/awlpikes going together, led by Sultan Eren. And they're doing fine, imo.

Oh, and Zapper, about the "you bounce often with a spear/shield", l2p. All longpsear and pikeman know now how to aim at the side before going on the target, for speed bonus and such. Why shouldn't the shielder do that too ? Because they're used of just facehugging, block, slash, block, slash ? Not our fault.
And yes, i DO want at least one easy kill, that's the rock/paper/scisors thing, imaright. I get owned by archers, cav, got duels with 2h/Polearms and shield/1h, and can deal with more ease with longspear/pike and shield/spear. That's the way it is.
You do realize that you are talking to Jarlek and that l2p is a pretty creepy argument, dont you?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2011, 07:25:03 am »
+4
And yes, i DO want at least one easy kill, that's the rock/paper/scisors thing, imaright.

Sad.
Also:  R/P/S "balance" is the lamest, laziest and crappiest "balance" a game can have.  Just look at WoW PvP.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:24 am »
+1
R/P/S "balance" is the lamest, laziest and crappiest "balance" a game can have.

Tru dat.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »
Thats the beauty of Warband, any class can kill any class there is no R/P/S however some might have it easier killing some but it's still quite equal. And when they start to balance after RPS thats the day I will uinstall :(

With that said, 1h could use a buff.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2011, 12:59:25 am »
Thats the beauty of Warband, any class can kill any class there is no R/P/S however some might have it easier killing some but it's still quite equal. And when they start to balance after RPS thats the day I will uinstall :(

Right after it's spear&shield brother, ofc.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2011, 01:07:28 am »
I think that  just faster speed for spears <150 when used with shield would help it a lot (just removing speed penalty, i know, impossible - and slightly increasing damage, right now awlpike deal more damage as 1h than warspear which is wrong).

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2011, 01:45:15 am »

fact you retired as a 1h/shield is just a coincidense...  :rolleyes:

... just removing speed penalty, i know, impossible ...

not with WSE..  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:47:09 am by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2011, 04:28:55 pm »
fact you retired as a 1h/shield is just a coincidense...  :rolleyes: