Author Topic: Humble opinion of BlueKnight  (Read 2002 times)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
Re: Humble opinion of BlueKnight
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 07:29:26 pm »
+1
Realism arguements in balance discussion...tastes like pointless. This being a video game and all, one which requires BALANCE, not realism. Of course, I think that realism and historical accuracy aren't without worth. They help the game be immersive and give my history major self a boner.

There is no reason why a weapon should function in any specific way, except for realism. Balance can be achieved in an infinite number of ways, all arbitrary, except for the realistic way.

Also, there are ways to make some contexts of the game realistic, and others fair/balanced to ensure entertainment. The actual combat physics should be as realistic as possible, all "imbalance" compensated for by gold costs and such. Reality is already balanced; every build has its weaknesses/costs.

Realism worsens some games and enhances others. Mount and Blade was created with realistic (moreso than other games) medieval combat in mind; in general the game will benefit from a trajectory of increasing realism. Crpg has not deviated far from the core experience of m&b and has even increased realism in many areas.

Forcing all playstyles or weapon forms to be "balanced" is like going into CoD and demanding that there be an unarmed class that can take super-monk skills and power fists to compensate for the imbalance. You have to distort reality to forcefit D20 conceptions of medieval combat, which will itself create new imbalances across the game that you now have compensate for too. The problem with these new imbalances (created by your force fitting) is that we have no historical/concrete experience of them (no experience of how tin foil plate armor should work, no experience of rocket powered throwing weapons should work, etc.), so fixing these imbalances will be ham handed. Reality provides a consistent standard to shape the game by.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:31:34 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »
I don't agree... Bows used in the films had some similar features to the medieval bows probably. Arrows were always shitty. I mean that the armour wasn't a magnificent one and it wasn't black armour man... Even if it was, my 68 body armour should save me. In the second film you have super breastplate against super Longbow ( 115 lbs ) in deadly range ( 20m ). That's why I think the dmg should be lowered dramatically with the increase of the armour.

You need to watch Warriors - Knight Fight (i found it to download here - http://www.filestube.com/f07261416dcd4dc903ea,g/Warriors-S01E05-Knight-Fight-HDTV-XviD-FQM.html)

Some of its a bit crap but...

1)  There's a guy on it (23mins in) shooting a 130lb long bow.  The heaviest longbows were 180lbs according to that show so 115lbs is nowhere near being a Super Bow

2)  On 31mins they shoot at a Breast Plate and with the 130lb bow the arrows penetrate.  Imagine what a 180 lb bow would do.

3)  On 26mins they compare an 850lb crossbow with a 110lb bow for speed.  They managed 7 shots with the bow for every 1 shot with the crossbow!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/bigbowbrum#p/u/5/HagCuGXJgUs compares a 130lb crossbow with the same longbow.  This crossbow manages 1 shot to every 1.5 bow shots and is therefore much quicker, however it only has a range of 90 yards compared to the longbows 250 yards.  They therefore estimate that the 110 lb longbow is the equivalent of a 350lb crossbow which could not be pulled by hand.  Going backwards from this info, the 850lb crossbow is the equivalent of a 280lb bow and is therefore 50% more powerful than the heaviest longbows (180lb as previously mentioned).  I'd say that 1 shotting with the heaviest crossbows should definitely be possible even against tincans.  But you're looking at 30 seconds to reload - more than enough time for a 2nd tincan to run 50 yards and finish you off.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 05:34:47 pm »
Lol, thanks man for your info about bows and crossbows, but if the best bow in game was similar to that 180lbs longbow, archers would need like 9 or 10 PD. right now they need 6 and they still deal huge dmg. 2 shots and 90% of my HP is down. 68 body armour should lower that dmg somehow.

Thanks for info once more,
BlueKnight
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI