Author Topic: Get a shield nub! ok but wich one ?  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 282
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murcs
Re: Get a shield nub! ok but wich one ?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 07:54:36 am »
i will straight trade you for a round steel buckler +3
hmm sound interesting i could save my heirloom exchange!
give me time to test huscarl this evening (it's morning for me atm) and i will tell you later. ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 08:26:06 am »
hmm sound interesting i could save my heirloom exchange!
give me time to test huscarl this evening (it's morning for me atm) and i will tell you later. ;)

nvm Tristan i'm not a big fan of huscarl it's clearly too slow...

about all my test atm :
- i rly enjoy rondache but a bit slow and scary to see it nerf in futur
- Knightly Kite Shield is nice but dont cover enough vs ranged
- Knightly Heater Shield is like kite shield but a bit better about cover but still not enough to my taste
- Elite Cavalry Shield is ok
- i still have to try Heavy Round Shield

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:42 pm »
+2
I'm sorry to have missed a shield discussion -- it's my favorite topic.

Don't forget that shields are to be used in melee as well as to block arrows...so you have to balance the coverage with the durability and speed of the shield.

Having extra shield skill increases the "forcefield" of your shield.  So with 4 or 5 shield skill, even the narrower shields will provide plenty of blockage against arrows.  Because of this, there is no need for most round shields.  Why?  Round shields are wider, but because of that they sacrifice durability and/or speed to keep them balanced.

Elite cav shield is made of paper.  If you want your shield to break in three hits then maybe you should use it.  The "knighly" shields that many prefer are slightly better, but still weak. Heavy round shield is only mediocre -- lacking in speed and durability for what it is.

The worthwhile best-balanced shields are:
Kite shield (for low shield skill)
Heavy Kite Shield
Heavy Heater Shield

They are all tough shields, with plenty of speed.  Best all-arounders that will save your leathery, scaly hide.

Next up, consider the toughest shields. I know you've tried some slower shields -- but keep in mind you have to adjust your playstyle a little when using them.  You must practice patience and not fall for feints -- slow and steady, young terrapin.

Heavy Board Shield
Plate covered Round Shield
Steel shield
+other weird new ones

The metal shields have very high armor.  Unless your opponent has an axe, you can safely let them beat on your shield for as long as it takes to find an opening to attack.  Frustrating the enemy with a nigh-invincible shield usually makes them over-extend themselves and mess up.  The Heavy Board shield (and those with similar stats like Pavise and Triangle shield) have very high hitpoints and fare better against axes.

BONUS: Shield weight slows you down a bit, but helps resist crush-through weapons.  Being able to potentially block mauls (the bane of all turtles) is very nice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:03:33 pm by Penitent »

Offline Kirman

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tormatun
  • Game nicks: Kirman/Namrik/Anmirk/Riknam
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 01:06:57 pm »
+1
I'm using elite cavalry shield with my shielder and i'm happy with it but i would like to try triangle shield at some point. Comments on that shield?

Offline Finse

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Finse, Hated
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:44 pm »
+1
I'm using elite cavalry shield with my shielder and i'm happy with it but i would like to try triangle shield at some point. Comments on that shield?
One of the better once, its got high speed, high hp and good armor

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 08:03:29 pm »
+1

Yeah, triangle shield is legit.  Only problem is it's got those garish stripes.  If you want your enemies to go cross-eyed before your split their skulls, it's perfect.  :P

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 10:07:00 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

ty for all advice
I finaly went for rondache +3 and i rly enjoy it.
specialy for the high body armor stat, cover is ok, the weight is a bit high but not too much...
but like you said i have to play more carefully because of the speed, feinting is dangerous =p
and i like the skin...

about kite shield when i face a guy with this kind of shield, as ranged im pretty sure than i will manage to place a shot (side step shot is ez against them), so yeah they are awesome for melee but against ranged not so much