• cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
Wind
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:15:45 am »
Is there going to be winds that would effect missile flight?
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
Re: Wind
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:21:32 am »
That would stop archers from being so bloody annoying

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 02:10:03 am »
The ultimate archer counter, add this and I will forever be happy

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 02:15:31 am »
+2
That would stop archers from being so bloody annoying enjoyable to play

Let's face it, realism is cool and all, but some factors are absolutely opposite of fun when implemented. I'm sure that since they're building a game from the very basics by themselves, they can think of different ways to make archers more balanced.
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:07:04 am »
Yeah I suppose we don't want Mediaval Archery Simulator. But we also don't want bad arrow damage. Maybe having no sight could help? And just having bad accuracy in general. Maybe not to bad, but just to stop 'Sniping'

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:05:23 am »
I think I would enjoy wind if they upped the fire rate that way, you would have to loose a few arrows to get a feel for the drift, and increasing the fire rate would make that tolerable.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:26:30 am »
Wind is a better alternative to RNG.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Jezbelle

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:58:05 am »
+1
I personally think that hitting someone with an arrow in MBG should be as hard as it is to hit someone with an arrow in real life. Period.

I don't care what mechanics need to be employed to replicate that level of difficulty, wether it's adding wind, or a "sight", or making the arrow travel "straighter" or "slower"... these are all potentially necessary to translate warfare into a video game.

But no matter what combination of mechanics are decided upon, the correct result should correspond to the REAL LIFE difficulty level of hitting someone with an arrow. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:21:33 am by Jezbelle »

Offline Jezbelle

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 10:01:06 am »
+2
PS. It would also be cool to have arrows that "glanced" off or "ricocheted" off of full-plate armor, if the arrow did not strike head-on.

With a "ding" sound effect  :D

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 12:10:01 pm »
+1
I agree. Also hitboxes should be placed with respect to major veins and organs. I just hate it when an arrow hits my hand and suddenly I go down like a rock.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »
+3
Wind isnt that bad of an idea ... imo its a really good one actually.
Iirc, it was already discussed in the restricted forums as an candidate for implementation. Cant say it for sure and im to lazy to look it up though :s

The impact on arrow flight is pretty scalable and thus makes it pretty good for balancing - one shouldnt think of it as just a nerf tool tho, its more of an nice challenge generator to me ... Imagine ranged who shoot with the wind will have faster, straighter arrows path and more damage ;P

Its a mechanics that could deepen ranged combat skill level in the technincal and also the tactical dimension.
It also adds an nice random element to the fighting in combination with other conditions (day/night, fog,rain,season etc.) and forces teams and individuals to act strategically ... like: One team having wind on their side, the other team plays against the wind. A good team would try to position advantagous with the wind or try to mitigate a disadvantagous position in other ways.

Last but not least, if implemented int the right way, with trees and grass moving with the wind, thereby indicating the wind direction, it would add alot to the immersive feel of the game. Nice particle physics would add a nice bonus to this aswell :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:38:37 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Jezbelle

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 01:39:22 pm »
That would be nice, Micah. I like your idea too, Golem.

Now in a counter-response to some people earlier in the thread, I think it's important that the dev's favor realism in ALL aspects of the game when faced with the choice between realism and "balancing".

In my long experience playing video games, meticulous balancing has always dumbed-down games. If every class and every weapon is balanced, there is no longer any incentive for us to create our own unique fighting styles to overcome obstacles. And oftentimes, we actually prefer using a disadvantaged class or weapon because our enemies may not be as familiar with it, and therefore we're able to surprise them with something they weren't expecting.

In the case of archery, I don't see any reason to make archery "balanced" with sword fighting. If anything, I think 90% of players should pick up a sword. That seems only natural to me. This isn't world of warcraft where you get to pick any class you want without any consequences! While archery is harder to master, funny enough, it is not nearly as deadly as a sword. In that vein, it would be more interesting if archery was used only for strategic purposes (ie. raining down arrows before a large-scale siege) OR for specialty purposes, like a bandit raid on horseback.

But I don't think archery should necessarily be "viable" as a dueling class. An archer should not be able to go 1 on 1 close-quarters with a guy wielding a sword (like they do in Warband). Unless that was really the case historically... But it seems implausible.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:44:06 pm by Jezbelle »

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 04:14:18 am »
I reckon you should be able to pull out an arrow, which, if un left would cause the character to be slower and less effective due to being wounded. Also, first aid would be cool if implemented right. Maybe you could take like 2-3 mins to apply gauze. A bleeding mechanic would seem logical as bleeding does happen IRL. Of course, applying first aid would mean moving away from combat.

Offline BeastSVK

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights who say NI
  • Game nicks: NobleBeast_Knight_who_say_NI
  • IRC nick: NobleBeast_Knight_who_say_NI
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 01:13:02 pm »
 :arrow: Give wind, give armor ricochet  :!:

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 01:23:24 pm »
+2
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV