Author Topic: Mordhau  (Read 37226 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: Mordhau
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2019, 03:44:31 am »
+1
Theres a lot of customization to unlock, but most of it is not that special. Really you want to get around level 30 and then youve got access to the cool bits and pieces and thats pretty much it. Theres some other stuff that takes even more grinding but to me its really not that fancy.

Its casual fun though, that may help the lasting power. I cant imagine playing this with any sort of ranked modes, i just cant seem to get into the combat well enough to feel a sense of progression in skill in the way warband did. More weapons and more customization at a steady rate could help make it fun over longer times, something to sink gold into.

It does get boring though. When duelling isnt that spicy, and you enter autopilot mode and just run in and kill/die over and over it really feels kind of heavy. Theres just something lacking, like im playing it but im not feeling theres anything particular i want to learn in it, entry level skill is good enough to carry me.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2019, 04:25:40 am »
+1
Yeah I can't see myself devoting nearly the amount of hours I put into Warband.

And the really low skill ceiling for 1vX is off-putting as well. Every time I go into a mode like Skirmish I just get pissed off, 99% of the time one team steamrolls, because numerical advantages matter so much. And the mechanics make it impossible to fight non-retarded enemies even 1v2.

I guess it's some good casual melee fun until Bannerlord, but all it really does is make me wish that Bannerlord comes out.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2019, 03:02:56 am »
+2
i can't see myself putting the hours i did into warband because i must've put at least several thousand hours into warband and i am just not as young, unfettered, and free to sit my ass in my chair playing games 8 hours a day although i try my damndest to sit my ass in my chair as much as i can

i am absolutely loving it- the combat system is "good enough" but what i really love is the visuals besides graphics. like, decapitations and arms getting lopped off, the delightful ragdolls and blood spatter, the combat looks surprisingly fluid when spectating, etc.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2019, 04:58:49 am »
+1
I'd say it's definitely worth the 25 dollars or whatever it costs just for how visceral the combat is, yeah.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2019, 01:28:59 pm »
There doesn't seem to be any post release roadmap or anything, something to look forward to?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2019, 08:22:54 pm »
Dunno, it is a pretty shallow game right now, especially given how hard 1vX is. In Warband, dueling skills translated directly to battle and siege etc., but it works to a much lesser extent in Mordhau. That in part contributes to it feeling like it's lacking depth.

It's a fun game and all, but games like it require at a minimum hundreds of hours to be really, really good in, and I'm not so sure I want to spend that much time playing the game. cRPG was just what Warband needed tbh, that sense of progression is very important to keep things interesting.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2019, 11:21:54 pm »
waiting for better one
Accidentally got onto a Frontline server when I joined Logen's skirmish one, immediately got a better score than any of yours

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/789730270441270597/BE23AD929487613235061D33FE2D3F4D623E511D/

It's still a laggy noobkilling fest where the already sluggish game feels 2x more sluggish
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2019, 06:59:44 pm »
+1
It helps a lot when fighting 1vX to know a couple of things, parries reset when successful so you can keep doing it. You gain hyper armor if you riposte directly after a parry, if youve got bloodlust and decent hp left, just swing at the heads with that armor and pray you kill someone. Still this makes your entire survival completely dependent on a successful parry, and when fighting 1vX and one of them has a short ass weapon and misses, but you still attempt to block it, then you are fucked. It really feels like short weapons were not properly considered in the game, so much whiffing just makes the combat feel absolutely garbage when it otherwise flows kind of well with long ones.

Also cavalry is busted, more so than in crpg/native. You take no added damage on horse back, a clean perfect hit on a horse sometimes even does less than it would a player. And long weapons like the halberd on horse can literally swing on the left side and hit someone on the right for a one hitter quitter. I even tried to block it when it happened to me, but it just oneshot me. Visually i dont think it even gets close to connecting, its just a massive cone of death.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:03:32 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2019, 01:32:01 pm »
So far I have seen them say they plan to keep adding maps and equipment and a longer term goal of theirs is to release a public modding kit.

If they do tap into the community to start generating content it could be very good.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2019, 05:37:24 pm »
Chivalry is moddable too.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2019, 06:15:12 pm »
I found chivalry was really clunky compared to mordhau but then again I only tried chivalry years ago.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2019, 03:30:47 pm »
+2
Ages since I've posted here but since I've seen a lot of cRPG-ers on the battlefield so I'll just say that it keeps getting better with every hotfix, still needs some maps and content but its great fun.

I played at work yesterday and got steamrolled by Shogunate scum so I decided to honor my old "friend" - the self-proclaimed "capitano" Georges. I know he likes to hide behind his plate but I prefer playing without helmets so when creating my Zweihanderer I tried to imagine how it would look if he took his helmet off and this is what my imagination told me:
(click to show/hide)

Archers and crossbowmen are drawn to it like flies to a pile of shit.  :wink:

P.S. tell him I said "hi".  8-)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2019, 06:49:21 pm »
Ages since I've posted here but since I've seen a lot of cRPG-ers on the battlefield so I'll just say that it keeps getting better with every hotfix, still needs some maps and content but its great fun.

I played at work yesterday and got steamrolled by Shogunate scum so I decided to honor my old "friend" - the self-proclaimed "capitano" Georges. I know he likes to hide behind his plate but I prefer playing without helmets so when creating my Zweihanderer I tried to imagine how it would look if he took his helmet off and this is what my imagination told me:
(click to show/hide)

Archers and crossbowmen are drawn to it like flies to a pile of shit.  :wink:

P.S. tell him I said "hi".  8-)

Not too far off. And Georges loves u, but he can only express it through hate.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2019, 08:22:52 pm »
+1
Not too far off. And Georges loves u, but he can only express it through hate.

Now if I could only make him shorter to be 100% realistic:
(click to show/hide)
I'm fairly certain that IRL he's not taller than Zweihander. :-D
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2019, 11:05:53 am »
I hope Bannerlord takes some of Mordhau's mechanics. Being able to slice through people if they don't block would be an awesome 1vX buff.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.