Poll

Is the EXP penalty on Respeccing a Strat Hero reasonable?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Why do I have to lose 20% EXP for my Strat Char on Respec?  (Read 878 times)

Offline Richter

• Knight
  • Renown: 51
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Richter, the pikeman.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Richter
  • IRC nick: Rallix
Why do I have to lose 20% EXP for my Strat Char on Respec?
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:18:32 am »
+1
I'd really like to understand why I need to give up 1/5th of the hours I spent getting my character to level 36 just because he's my Strat Character.

What is gained by having this penalty in place? Locking people to playing in one way with their main permanently?
Why would you want to do that?

All I want to do in the first place is just rearrange my build to make use of my new points. Why does it matter that it's a strat char?  :|
Indeed.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: Why do I have to lose 20% EXP for my Strat Char on Respec?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:58:23 am »
+12
Well, it is still better than paying 50% on ALL characters. But the reason it is in place is so that you can't all willy-nilly change your build depending on the strat situation. Got a field battle coming up? Minds well respec cav, or perhaps shielder. Got a castle defense to attend? Better respec into a ranged build and pew pew. If there were no punishments in place for respeccing your main then anyone could tailor their build to each battle as they see fit. They could even leave the server mid-match and come back with a completely different build based on the in-game situation. Granted, you COULD do that with the current system, but the 20% penalty kind of discourages a lot of people from doing so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Richter

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Richter, the pikeman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 02:50:17 am »
I don't see why there isn't just a longer wait time for respecs. If you got one a week after respeccing like the other characters, yeah that might make sense,(And even then it looks to me like a solution without a problem) but how about just lengthening the wait times for respecs on mains, instead of throwing hard earned EXP out the window?

I would be more than willing to wait months before I could respec my main again. This would pretty much prevent a person from respeccing every other large battle.

Better yet, include both options. Let the person lose 20% EXP and be able to respec in a week, or lose no EXP and Respec in 2-3 months.

Edit: The main problem is that this completely cuts off a person's ability to not retire their character. There is no level 36 strat character build for someone who isn't playing the game every single day. I just don't know how people bear retiring their characters over and over again, losing all that progress for the sake of stronger items.

I wasn't aware that I couldn't respec without a penalty, and now I'm stuck in this limbo that can't make use of the points. It's frustrating, especially since I now have a village to manage.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:01:44 am by Richter »
Indeed.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:10:16 am »
Well there is the training lessons auction, which is a fancy term for a free respec. I'm not sure how much they go for nowadays, but you could argue that paying gold to respec is more or less similar to waiting months, as it may take 2-3 months to get a sufficient amount of gold for the training lessons. :D

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:27:09 am »
+3
Make some leve 1 character your strat hero. Can respec all your characters once a week, and no need to care about strat battles :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 03:58:32 pm »
+4
ya just make your strat hero an alt for a week,  respecc,  then change him back to here.  vär is problöm?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Richter

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Richter, the pikeman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:12:18 pm »
+1
Make some leve 1 character your strat hero. Can respec all your characters once a week, and no need to care about strat battles :wink:
ya just make your strat hero an alt for a week,  respecc,  then change him back to here.  vär is problöm?
Well, what happens to my stuff when I do? I own a fief, does everything just transfer to my new character?
Indeed.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 12:59:20 am »
+1
Well, what happens to my stuff when I do? I own a fief, does everything just transfer to my new character?

Yes

Offline Richter

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Richter, the pikeman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 06:14:04 pm »
+1
Yes
Never thought I'd say it but, Thanks James.  :wink:
Indeed.