Author Topic: Dark Souls 3  (Read 87613 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: Dark Souls 3
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »
DS 2 has some pretty uninteresting mechanics, best one being setting light to the windmill. Also, the controls can be pretty unresponsive compared to DS, at times.

Windmill is stupid i agree, but the controls are far more responsive  than DS1. I really struggled going back to DS1 even a long time after i lastly played ds2.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2016, 12:32:54 am »
Yeah I'm replaying DS1 now and it's clunky as shit in a lot of ways compared to 2. But ooo everything about it overall is so much nicer.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2016, 02:15:55 pm »
Only thing with the combat I enjoyed more in DS1 was the fact that you could turn your character while you were in the startup animation of your attack, which was mainly good for 2handers, sort of a "nerf" for 2handers in DS2 where you were left open a lot more if you missed compared to dex spammers. Just hope the game will have as much(or more) animation variety on weapons like in DS1. In DS2 almost every weapon of the same type had the same animation, not making you decide between "good" animation but less damage.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2016, 02:42:46 pm »
Only thing with the combat I enjoyed more in DS1 was the fact that you could turn your character while you were in the startup animation of your attack, which was mainly good for 2handers, sort of a "nerf" for 2handers in DS2 where you were left open a lot more if you missed compared to dex spammers. Just hope the game will have as much(or more) animation variety on weapons like in DS1. In DS2 almost every weapon of the same type had the same animation, not making you decide between "good" animation but less damage.

I always felt that DS2 had a greater variety in weaponry, maybe it didnt though. But it did pack a ton more fashion souls, which i loved. I hope ds3 manages to make fashion as viable. But yeah the combat controls were tweaked in all the right spots imho, and i hope ds3 takes this into account. Nearly instant sprint, sprinting sideways while locked on, lots of roll directions.. no instant backstabs etc.

Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2016, 02:49:13 pm »
+1
The variety in armour was better in DS2. In DS1 going str build it was basically Havels or nothing. This time round there were plenty of viable armours.

Weapon wise I would say the thing that pissed me off most in DS2 was the fact that certain weapons weren't available until NG+. And early on getting anything decent wasn't easy. Whereas DS1, because of the world layout, you could rush certain shields and weapons right at the start without needing to kill any enemies/bosses so it valued knowledge of the world layout a lot more. And because of the way everything was so connected you could rush grass crest shield, fire keeper souls, scythe and a number of other really useful items as soon as you hit the firelink shrine. All without needing to kill a single enemy.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2016, 02:55:40 pm »
I always felt that DS2 had a greater variety in weaponry, maybe it didnt though.

DS2 had a lot of variety in weapons, about the same level as DS1 but almost all weapons of the same class shared the same animation, which pretty much just made every weapon of the same class feel the same, you'd just go for the weapon with the most damage in the weapon class, compared to DS1 which had a weapon with good damage but shitty animation. Not all greatswords or ultra greatswords had the same animations, which they pretty much did in DS2.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2016, 03:02:50 pm »
I thought the UGS class had quite varied animations in DS2. I used them on my first play through and remember being very picky because I kept using certain ones and absolutely hating the move sets where they only did overheads and straight pokes (so easy to miss in DS2) rather than swings so stuck with the bog standard greatsword. It was more the damage potentials that made it obvious to use some over others.

Add to that some of them had special effects as well.

The thing I most missed was the lack of an OP shield like the Shield of Artorias. That thing was just so good in DS1 there was nothing similar in DS2.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2016, 07:09:15 pm »
I really liked the movesets of curved greatswords in DSII, almost as good as Kriegsmesser in cRPG. :P
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:01 pm »
Weapon wise I would say the thing that pissed me off most in DS2 was the fact that certain weapons weren't available until NG+. And early on getting anything decent wasn't easy. Whereas DS1, because of the world layout, you could rush certain shields and weapons right at the start without needing to kill any enemies/bosses so it valued knowledge of the world layout a lot more. And because of the way everything was so connected you could rush grass crest shield, fire keeper souls, scythe and a number of other really useful items as soon as you hit the firelink shrine. All without needing to kill a single enemy.

DS1 is better because speedrun strats? What. You actually do this? It's true I didn't do many characters in Dark Souls. Essentially, it's better because the way all the areas are setup makes sense and the whole main world is tightly inter-connected which is super cool.

As for combat, movesets etc. Bloodborne is better than Dark Souls methinks. That's what most people who played both are saying, and I would tend to agree. Of course, there aren't that many weapons in Bloodborne (still quite a few though).

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:10 pm »
I haven't played it, but from videos it seems like the best 'souls' game. Haven't played Demon Souls, either, though. So, I wouldn't know.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2016, 11:07:12 pm »
Wasn't Bloodborne also claimed to be the easiest of the souls games?

Wish they port it to pc tough. A souls game, is still a souls game.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2779
  • Infamy: 1267
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2016, 11:52:47 pm »
Bloodborne was co-developed with internal Sony studio, games like that never end up on PC.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2016, 12:13:45 am »
One can always dream.

I didn't expect Dragon's Dogma to get a port, but there we have it. (Ps. If you've never tried it, DO IT!)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2016, 12:17:47 am »
I have to admit, Bloodborne has been quite easy up until now. Not a lot of moments like the archers of Anor Londo, and I have yet to see a real boss fight with more than one enemy (although those were far too common in DS 2). I also played Demon's Souls and I still think it had the better, most fucked up atmosphere. There are few games that manage to create something like the whole buildup to Maiden Astrea.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2016, 12:18:48 am »
Man.... Fuck those archers in Anor Londo.