Author Topic: The scale of Melee Battlegrounds  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
Re: The scale of Melee Battlegrounds
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 06:23:10 pm »
Well yeah .. bunnies are nice ..
But i would also like a nice fox hunt .. perhaps as a special game mode  ;D
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 06:27:43 pm »
Well yeah .. bunnies are nice ..
But i would also like a nice fox hunt .. perhaps as a special game mode  ;D

FOX HUNT???? WTF Micah... that ain't cool mate, feel free to hunt deer sure but not foxes.
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 07:14:19 pm »
+1
Saw plenty of weeds, some mountains, but no dew.
0/420

FOX HUNT???? WTF Micah... that ain't cool mate, feel free to hunt deer sure but not foxes.

Calm thoughts fleet, calm thoughts.

How about a compromise, everyone loves pandas right?

(click to show/hide)

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:43 pm »
Saw plenty of weeds, some mountains, but no dew.
0/420

Calm thoughts fleet, calm thoughts.

How about a compromise, everyone loves pandas right?

(click to show/hide)

lol that was a calm thought, only the aristocracy and their hunting pals like Fox hunting, there is a reason it was banned due to animal rights.
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Micah

• Duke
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 09:16:12 pm »
lol that was a calm thought, only the aristocracy and their hunting pals like Fox hunting, there is a reason it was banned due to animal rights.
So foxes have a right to complaint and pledge for animal rights ... but whats about those hundreds and thauseands cute little bunnies and chicken you eat all day? Did you ask them for permission ?   :twisted:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:21:38 pm by Micah »

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 12:15:45 am »
So foxes have a right to complaint and pledge for animal rights ... but whats about those hundreds and thauseands cute little bunnies and chicken you eat all day? Did you ask them for permission ?   :twisted:

Yeah man, cos foxes are purely killed for sport now and they are wild (in UK)... chickens are grown to be eaten and rabbits aren't treated well either as you say, but at least they make good eating so their life is not wasted.
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 03:24:49 am »
+6
i'm curious - was there any reason why to rush the kickstarter so early?

you keep adding quite a good stuff in quite short time (combat video, big map video, playable game is coming soon as you say), common sense says wasn't it better to actually wait? also why didn't you release some content before the kickstarter, at least i haven't seen anything anywhere about the game until it popped up in kickstarter outta nowhere. some publicity before the kickstarter would do no harm at all. for example i've seen videos of deliverance months on youtube before they went openly public with the game and launched ks campaign. i knew the game was coming, i was watching it and looking for it ahead...
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 10:04:37 am »

Foxes are a feral species in Australia Calradia Meleeia. It's irresponsible and selfish not to hunt them until only their bloodied tears remain. :)

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 11:57:50 am »

you keep adding quite a good stuff in quite short time (combat video, big map video, playable game is coming soon as you say), common sense says wasn't it better to actually wait? also why didn't you release some content before the kickstarter, at least i haven't seen anything anywhere about the game until it popped up in kickstarter outta nowhere. some publicity before the kickstarter would do no harm at all. for example i've seen videos of deliverance months on youtube before they went openly public with the game and launched ks campaign. i knew the game was coming, i was watching it and looking for it ahead...

I don't know if that would have helped... But at the very least KS did draw some attention. They could try it again in some months.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 12:17:39 pm »
+4
Damn that is a big map, but seems to large for Stronghold and too large to reasonably populate even with a few hundred players. Is this the world map that eventually will be used for the Epic, with instanced servers and seamless server transitions and all that jazz? In any case, I get that ArmA fuzzy feel of adventuring on a big open map. I can totally picture picking a site for my house there and riding around with my horse. It looks pretty natural, though it could use some more water of course.

Gotta agree with Beauchamp, considering it's 8 months ago that I played some incredibly crappy first combat build, the game has been shaping up very fast with cool stuff being added at a stellar pace. Even within this Kickstarter, though I imagine you have been slaving away at an unsustainable pace, you are showing stuff I really didn't expect yet even after seeing the initial video. Perhaps this time of year being 'ideal' for Kickstarters should have been a less important consideration than the attractiveness of the product you are presenting.

Shoulda woulda coulda's aside, I expect good things to come in the next few months and I am impressed at how far along a lot of stuff already is. If things go the way they are going then a somewhat entertaining alpha release shouldn't be that far from the line and with that a much better product for presentation.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:36 pm »
+5
The world isn't done, far from it. Can't reveal too much though :wink:

Actually it's late, very late. (Too late if you read http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-02-kickstarter-games-in-2014-are-making-less-than-half-what-they-did-last-year).

However take a look at a lot of the current Steam games that's doing great, they all had very rough crowdfunding campaigns with zero attention/PR, despite having tons of videos and stuff out beforehand. Kickstarter/Indiegogo did nothing for them. Steam did everything.

But yeah, indeed, we went in "cold" with zero PR in any regards at all. That's because we have to work with what we have, the time we have, we're all spending as much of it [time] as we can outside jobs etc, that sometimes leaves no way of turning back or pushing arranged schedules/deadlines. We try and do the best we can with what's available to us. The KS is actually running as worst case scenario, we of course wanted to have a playable version ready, to have combat more done, to arrange for long Twitch sessions etc. It's all pretty standard no-brainer. Just, life throws you lemons and all that :mad:

Also the "only" issue I see with the KS is the extremely tiny amount of views. This echoes for the other game devs I talked to (who's also on KS, with both failed and successful campaigns), there's almost no traffic at all gained from KS, you have to work insanely hard to drive traffic to the KS, which is even more requiring nowadays where only few wants to write about Kickstarters, that's unless they're already successful or revolves around someone/something famous. Not to mention the general animosity against KS/crowdfunding due to all the campaigns people feels cheated by.

Anyway, keep calm and don't panic, a promise was made and it'll be kept no matter how the KS turns out. We all want to make an amazing game and only the end of the world can stop us :P
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 01:08:12 pm »
+1
What doesn´t kill ya only makes ya stronger  8-)

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 02:40:49 pm »
i initially thought that the only reason could be you need some money asap so you launched it no matter the odds. well you can "always" fill in remaining 100k and grab those 30k already collected. in the end its the case of many ks games :)
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

pogosan

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 02:45:45 pm »
+1

Offline Micah

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »
+1
I fully disagree with the opinion that Melee was presented to KS in an to early state; infact, i could argue for the complete opposite. I could iterate on the mandatory negative space in the development of an envolving community effort, but its not the major question at hand, since the next step is far more important. In the end it had to be tested and the outcome is not measurable in amount of money that was backed. We recieved attention from major game studios and magazines, we learned what people like and dislike and how they percieve us, we learned what the cRPG community is good for and what its not good for, we are on the scene and alive, thats what counts!

You wouldnt call a child born is into the world in an unready state because it has to learn to move its limbs yet(and learn that it has limbs) and to learn a language, would you ? Its imperative to have as few as possible preconditioned traits which only limit you in what might grow into.

So, lets celebrate and be happy and confident, nothing to cry about silly thngs :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:40:41 pm by Micah »