Author Topic: [Blizzard] Overwatch  (Read 50388 times)

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
Re: [Blizzard] Overwatch
« Reply #645 on: September 05, 2016, 09:02:02 pm »
I think my friend and I cracked open the meta for ranked play: lock in as junkrat and hanzo before any memers on your team can pick them, wait for them to pick an actually useful character, and then right before the round starts choose a character that works well with your team's comp. We've done this twice now and both times noone else picked those characters and we won since they instead picked useful ones, like a tank or real dps class. I dont care how many hours you've sunk into hanzo, fact is your aim is gonna be shit if I see you among the lower ranks where I'm stuck atm. This game makes it literally impossible to solo queue, or really just queue up with any group less than four people. Placement matches are probably the most important, and also least-balanced of all the matches of the season since they dictate what types of teammates you'll be stuck with for most of your grind.

Ive done this before, kinda works then they might wind up picking a class you are skilled with and being 100% useless anyway because 90% of the Overwatch players are special ed dropouts
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Zergmar

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Terrible at everything.
    • View Profile
    • indie game dev, RIP
  • Faction: Hobo
  • Game nicks: SirScumbag
« Reply #646 on: September 05, 2016, 11:16:12 pm »
4th placement game and I've already got a Draw, so much for Blizzard calling them "Extremely Rare".

Offline Zergmar

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • indie game dev, RIP
« Reply #647 on: September 07, 2016, 12:30:50 am »
Ended up in Platinum with abysmal 5 wins, 3 lose, 2 draws. Gold medals left and right every match, it seems it doesn't matter shit. The biggest letdown was playing Zenyatta, gold in healing, silver in damage -- nothing worse than losing when you know your offensive buddies weren't doing jack shit and you're trying to juggle 3 jobs at once.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #648 on: October 13, 2017, 05:53:26 pm »
Paladins > Overwatch

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 14, 2017, 11:18:28 am »
+3
Anything>Overwatch
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 15, 2017, 09:18:22 pm »
+1
Can confirm, at least as a competitive FPS OW is pure garbage. It's all class meta, team composition and throwing ults at the same time.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 15, 2017, 09:27:08 pm »
+1
Can confirm, at least as a competitive FPS OW is pure garbage. It's all class meta, team composition and throwing ults at the same time.
I played it in the beta and saw all I needed to see. Low skill ceiling, way too many gimmicky abilities and attempts at RPS balance.

They balanced the classes in the gayest way possible -- by limiting every character to artificially create weaknesses in them all. Every character has obvious weaknesses and lacks some basic features/skills. I infinitely prefer balance where every base class has good mobility and all the basic stuff, and you give different classes strengths on top of that. What happens in OW is that no matter how good you are you'll get wrecked by a blob of way worse players because the vast majority of characters don't have the mobility to maneuver away fast enough and the TTK is too high to survive 1vMany fights if the opponents can aim at all.

But that's because it's a consolized casual game and the #1 design priority for those games is ensuring that good players can be killed by baddies. That's the main difference between good PC competitive and console games; in PC games skill ceiling is really, really high and an amazing player will have no trouble wiping the floor with however many bad players.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 15, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
Overwatch is good

Just start playing only torb

win every game, offense or defense

you get better over time

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 15, 2017, 10:02:41 pm »
https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/FARTCOP-1694

Season 3-6

The era of torb

the best hero in the game

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 15, 2017, 11:13:28 pm »
+1
I played it in the beta and saw all I needed to see. Low skill ceiling, way too many gimmicky abilities and attempts at RPS balance.

They balanced the classes in the gayest way possible -- by limiting every character to artificially create weaknesses in them all. Every character has obvious weaknesses and lacks some basic features/skills. I infinitely prefer balance where every base class has good mobility and all the basic stuff, and you give different classes strengths on top of that. What happens in OW is that no matter how good you are you'll get wrecked by a blob of way worse players because the vast majority of characters don't have the mobility to maneuver away fast enough and the TTK is too high to survive 1vMany fights if the opponents can aim at all.

But that's because it's a consolized casual game and the #1 design priority for those games is ensuring that good players can be killed by baddies. That's the main difference between good PC competitive and console games; in PC games skill ceiling is really, really high and an amazing player will have no trouble wiping the floor with however many bad players.

It's true. Classes have way too much weight in this game. I'm sure that's how they intended it, but competitively it does not work out. It leaves very little space for personal skill to really dominate, because it's all class rock/paper/scissors and everything takes forever to die. Not to mention people just respawn anyway, so if it's not a pure team vs team clash with all ults thrown, getting successful flanks and pickoffs hardly matters.

I much prefer if the game has low impact classes, that somewhat change how you play a round, but the core is all about aiming/movement/positioning skills. Rainbow Six Siege does the low-impact classes well, for example. So does Titanfall 2 and Quake Champions.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:17:01 pm by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 15, 2017, 11:41:38 pm »
It's true. Classes have way too much weight in this game. I'm sure that's how they intended it, but competitively it does not work out. It leaves very little space for personal skill to really dominate, because it's all class rock/paper/scissors and everything takes forever to die. Not to mention people just respawn anyway, so if it's not a pure team vs team clash with all ults thrown, getting successful flanks and pickoffs hardly matters.

I much prefer if the game has low impact classes, that somewhat change how you play a round, but the core is all about aiming/movement/positioning skills. Rainbow Six Siege does the low-impact classes well, for example. So does Titanfall 2 and Quake Champions.
Yeah R6S is a good example, didn't play TF2 ot Q:C, but Blacklight: Retribution is another one. Every class in OW for me was "this class would be great if it had class Z and Y's ability as well", and none of them felt satisfactory as a result. Like if Tracer had Genji's mobility/parkour, it'd be a fun and skilled character. Instead it feels intentionally neutered. Like it's got 1/3rd of the abilities you'd expect it to have cut off and given to someone else, etc.

But rock-paper-scissors hard counter shit is the laziest/easiest way to make sure no good player gets ahead too much.

Team Fortress 2 is almost a good example of how to have distinct classes that also mostly feel like they haven't been castrated. Soldier, scout and demo were all combat classes that could practically beat any other class with skilled play and also had mobility skills. Still not ideal but infinitely better than OW. However, TF 2's way of making sure baddies always have a chance was introducing criticals, which was 100% retarded. Nothing like having your 20 kill streak as as Soldier ended because an enemy Soldier got a random critical hit and insta gibs you with something that would've done 30% damage otherwise.

[–]Kodix 52 points 2 years ago
As your skill grows, so does the proportion of your deaths from random crits to deaths from other causes.
The reason random crits are in the game is not to make it fair or balanced - it's to let lower skill players have more of an impact.
It's the same reason any game introduces randomness - if it was purely skill based with no randomness whatsoever, it would quickly lose newbie players who don't find losing fun.
Of course, personally I think that random crits are entirely unnecessary - the game plays just fine even without them, there's already enough randomness inherent in the game mechanics.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 20, 2017, 08:31:38 pm »
I infinitely prefer balance where every base class has good mobility and all the basic stuff, and you give different classes strengths on top of that.

One of Overwatch main point is having tons of very different characters, if they had 25+ well-rounded heroes with only different skins the game would be stale. I guess its just not a game for you.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 20, 2017, 08:53:18 pm »
One of Overwatch main point is having tons of very different characters, if they had 25+ well-rounded heroes with only different skins the game would be stale. I guess its just not a game for you.

Rainbow Six Siege has 36 operators (aka heroes) that are all well rounded, balanced and only have one ability and guns to differentiate them (and minor speed differences) and the game is far from stale. Overwatch is a rock-paper-scissor game with hard counters where team composition is primary and player skill way there in the background somewhere. It is Overwatch that gets super stale when every match at high skill level has the same meta composition.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:13:14 pm by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 20, 2017, 09:36:41 pm »
You're right Overwatch isn't for me, but that's not because it has very different characters, it's because Overwatch is a no-skill casualized garbo game.

I'm not sure where you get "with only different skins" from. Apparently you think it's impossible to make characters that differ from each other unless you castrate their basic combat functionality......

How about, and this is a crazy idea, making the classes different from each other by adding strengths and unique abilities, rather than taking basic shit away and creating artificial weaknesses? Hmmm...
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Zergmar

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • indie game dev, RIP
« Reply #659 on: January 19, 2018, 03:19:03 pm »
The Overwatch paradox: The more hours you clock in the game and improve your play, the more tryhard and fun-punishing your matchmaking becomes.