Author Topic: [Blizzard] Overwatch  (Read 50356 times)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
Re: [Blizzard] Overwatch
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 02:40:23 pm »
+1
TF2 meets Dota.

The way I see it:

Blizzard have big money, that is their only development and marketing tool. Dont get me wrong I like Warcraft back in the day. But WoW, although I will be lambasted for this, was pretty generic and boring, but had big money behind it, huge advertising, and it brought in many players.

They made Hearthstone: its not original or even very fun or balanced, but again it has good production values and huge advertising, so it brought it many players.

I see this being the same: Looks really good, adverts look really good, will bring in millions of players, for a pretty standard/subpar game.

And is it just me or do the melee characters look way more fun? Who doesn't want to hammer archer my old friendguts, pin sniper my old friendguts to walls and generally be a badass?

Seems very DOTA though, and yeah balance will be a huge issue in a FPS game with flying, cooldown based abilities, 1 hit abilities that don't require aiming, etc.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 02:47:00 pm »
How is this Dota? It's TF2 with a larger amount of playable characters.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 02:51:59 pm »
Looks like a cool new disney movie

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »
How is this Dota? It's TF2 with a larger amount of playable characters.

I put TF2 meets Dota: In TF2, you can get melee kills, for sure, but its not like they are a reliable way to get by, you cannot charge down on a group of enemies who are shooting at you and kill them all with melee abilities, well, unless the guys shooting are completely useless, but that isnt a game mechanic.

This game looks like DotA in that some guys are shooting, but you can use melee champs with abilites to close that distance and rape them, shooting isn't the endall of the game.
I don't know enough

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 03:25:03 pm »
I put TF2 meets Dota: In TF2, you can get melee kills, for sure, but its not like they are a reliable way to get by, you cannot charge down on a group of enemies who are shooting at you and kill them all with melee abilities, well, unless the guys shooting are completely useless, but that isnt a game mechanic.

This game looks like DotA in that some guys are shooting, but you can use melee champs with abilites to close that distance and rape them, shooting isn't the endall of the game.
Thats a very wierd and debatable way to put it. Its like saying Deus Ex is CS meets Thief, or GTA is Carmageddon meets Postal 2. Mybe....but...

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 03:32:24 pm »
+1
Well, there's the cooldown timers on abilities and the "Ultimate" ability system aswell, being very similar to DotA and clones.

Also the way the overwatch "gameplay" video started reminded me SO much of TF classic. Those seconds you are waiting for the gate to open, all guns trained :D

Of course everything can be related or argued Tibe.

I don't know enough

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2961
  • Infamy: 528
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 04:12:53 pm »
The characters seem to have a little bit more going on too.

They sure do. If you're into Ben 10, Pokemon and silly Shounen Anime, Overwatch chars are superb.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »
Pixar fortress!

The beta is only in 2015 right?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 04:22:34 pm »
They sure do. If you're into Ben 10, Pokemon and silly Shounen Anime, Overwatch chars are superb.

I don't really care for the design. It's very Pixar-esque, which doesn't repel me either. What I meant is that the abilities seem more fleshed out than in TF2. In TF2 every character is very simple. The overall design of TF2 is very effective though, and it's difficult to reach that balance.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1433
  • Infamy: 2584
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 04:26:38 pm »
+1
TF2 is a shooter above all, this is mixed genre game where characters have special abilities like in most MOBAs.

Unlike you, I do care about design. It is the main reason I'm avoiding Blizzard games ever since they hired Samwise and put him in charge of visual design of their games.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 04:35:09 pm »
+1
Also I can only imagine how annoying many of those characters will be ingame. Since all footage at the moments is heavily scripted showcasing, we cannot yet see how fucking broken the average gamer can make these mechanics, like flashing around, grappling hooking, flying, wallrunning etc.

Although it may just die the death, like titles from one of the very best (IMHO, since they make games with high skill cap, unique mechanics and beautiful visuals) devs out there, Splash Damage. They made the Enemy Territory series (Wolfenstein, Quake Wars) and Brink, all games that were very fun, fast, skillbased, and they all died the death. At the time of release, Quake Wars was infinitly better than anything from Battlefield. FPS players, it seems, dont really want cool mechanics, teamwork requirements, high mobility gameplay. Instead they prefer hitscan weaponry and camping mixed in with easy 1hit-kill buttons and grinding. The success of such shitboxes as COD and BF4 say it all: advertise enough and kids will get their mums to buy these games, and casual gamers will get them also since they are fairly easy to pick up and play.

BTW Splash are working on Dirty Bomb, think Beta is soon, sign up for it. They have ditched the user designed faces of Brink (One of the most unique character creation mechanics ever) but kept that facial engine, so trollfaces still prevail :D

TF2 is a shooter above all, this is mixed genre game where characters have special abilities like in most MOBAs.

Unlike you, I do care about design. It is the main reason I'm avoiding Blizzard games ever since they hired Samwise and put him in charge of visual design of their games.

But.. but... aside from being a fat slob, Samwise draws pretty pictures for kiddies. And games are for kiddies, right?
I don't know enough

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 09:40:13 am »
This game is now in NA Beta (invite only). EU Beta begins tomorrow. If you signed up for the beta and got invited, you should get an email from Blizzard.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 11:46:17 pm »
+4

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 02:37:42 am »
This game looks awesome, I was honestly not excited for it at all but after watching some streams I got a bit hyped. Isn't open beta next weekend that will be available to everyone or was I misinformed?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 08:47:34 am »
This game looks awesome, I was honestly not excited for it at all but after watching some streams I got a bit hyped. Isn't open beta next weekend that will be available to everyone or was I misinformed?

I was kind of interested before, with being wary to not get too hyped. Now after watching some streams I'm just hyped. I hopped on the train, couldn't resist. Now I'm crying like everyone else because no beta access.  I'm hoping this game will fill my quake-desire that CS:GO just cannot fill, because it's too different of a game. + all the different characters you can play will make sure this game doesn't get boring as fast