Author Topic: Total War: THREE KINGDOMS  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Panos_Tournament

• Earl
  • Renown: 316
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: THREE KINGDOMS
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:22 am »
+1
I remember in Dynasty Warriors 2, you had to kill 1000 enemies at Hu lao gate to unlock the mighy lu bu, oh the memories.

I also remember picking lu bu, playing at hu lao gate on Dong Zhuos army, and 1 man soloing fucking up the allied forces.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 04:35:32 pm »
Also... I can understand the sentiments of people who are actually genuinely excited about this installment, i really can. Good for you. But to me this way they've taken just screams commercialization. It's like i can imagine a group meeting, a sitdown with the devs and some sega officers where they discuss this. Hey, TW:China is the next best thing since sliced bread! Less effort to put in since it's pretty much within the borders one cultural (or at least racial) group, thus less diversity to work on. There's also less effort required for actual historical homework and research both for previous reasons as well as the reason this seems like it's gonna be a heavily romanticized version of that time period.

And last but not least... monetization. A potential huge client pool called China + a reason to put in as many fucking hero units as DLCS as possible... there we go. Perfection. Nothing can't go wrong since most people will be curious about this new setting anyway, not realizing how much they may have actually lost on with the possible other options for new, untouched historical periods and settings.
Shame.

Tbh every and all interesting era/region falls into the categories you mentionned to a degree: romanticized, national fervor, heroic figures.
If it wouldnt, it would mean that the picked setting is too narrow to be a real Total War.

Not to say it doesnt benefit SEGA/CA that it is so  :wink:  I am well aware that this company turned to shit, I am myself more interested in getting pirated copies of every and all of their next installations. I have felt burned on their last 3 games so its the end for me, I buy only if there is lots of mods and cool guys to play multiplayer campaign.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 04:41:05 pm »
Either it's crappy Warhammer/Fantasy total war games coming out or single nation-focused Total War games coming out it seems.
Wish we'd get an Empire 2 already and then eventually Medieval 3.

Would look amazing with all the new features and new engine.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 06:08:07 pm »
Meanwhile the three kingdoms has such an abudance of them just look how many potential heroes there are:
Guan Yu
Lu Bu
Cao Cao
Cao Pi
Gongsun San
Liu Bei
Lu Bu
Jia Xu
Guan Ping
Dong Zhuo
Dian Wei
Liu Shan
Pang Tong
Sima Lang
Wei Yan
Sima Yi
Xiahou Dun
Xu Huang
Xu Zhu
Yue Ying
Yuan Shu
Zhang Feng
Ma Dai
Mai Dick
Jackie Chan
Fu Manchu
Sun Tzu
Pai Mei
Ip man
Sun Wukong
Mao Zedong
Linda Wong
Ping Pong
Brother Hao
Uzumaki Naruto
Karate Kid
Ying Yang
Miyamoto Musashi
Ranma Saotome
Master Splinter
Xiao mei mei
Ranka Lee
Wu-tang clan
Zhuge Liang
Zhang He
Zhen Ji
Zhang Jiao
Zhang Liao
... and the list goes on.
Wow you left the best one off of your list- Zhao Yun, courtesy name Zilong. And lol @ karate kid, ping pong, Jackie Chan, some random japanese guy and the others that dont belong on that list.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Bugnir

• Count
  • Renown: 212
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Scum of Caladria
  • Game nicks: Bugnir
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 09:02:06 pm »
They're bound to carry over the weird fantasy "I fight 100 men!" mechanics of Total Warhammer heroes. And that's pretty shite for a Total War game set in real-world history. The focus will be on hero-characters and super-moves, not interesting battles.

If a person who has dedicated his entire life to master the arts of combat, clad in heavy armor and equipped with a finely crafted weapon, were to go up against 100 unarmored peasants, then yes I do believe he'd be able to take them out. There is nothing "weird" or "fantasy" about it at all. Chinese martial arts are far more advanced and sophisticated in comparison to its barbaric and primitive european counterpart. To get an appreciation of just how great chinese martial arts are I'd recommend you educate yourself by watching "Shaolin monk vs" videos on youtube or any movie made by Yimou Zhang.

Heskey the world around us is changing and so is Total War, it's not the same monolith of a franchise it once was and you will have to accept this. I mean instead of being stuck in the past how about you think of all the positive changes that can be made by radically changing the game. We already know there is a first person mode in previous titles which limits you to controlling artillery, but imagine if you'd be able to play as your favorite three kingdoms hero in third person cutting down hordes of enemies by twirling and spinning around just like in the Dynsasty Warriors games (a series superior to Total War btw), wouldn't that be great?
Heck if CA were to just announce they are release Dynasty Warriors 10 then we should embrace it with open arms and minds.

Three kingdoms, what a crock of shit, I bet it's going to be a fantasy game based on the romanticized version of Chinese history. No cultural variation and the only way the units cant be copy and paste reskins like Shogun

Yes so copy-pasted compared to a masterful game like Medieval 2 where every european faction has the same roster of peasants and knights with minor differences, like the game can be summed up as "knights in different colors".
Empire total war is no different in how everything is the fuckig same.
"but dude Austria has more faceless men in their line infantry regiments which totally differentiates them from everyones else, so brilliant, and look Sweden has more men in their light dragoon unit this is so unique and well thought out!"

How about Atilla Total War where not only does every faction have the same roster but they are ALL GERMANIC FACTIONS. Speaking of romanticzising total war, do you consider this to be historically accurate and not just bullshit fiction in order to appeal to viking fanboys?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRqWw6_gKag

but the reason why many of the games have Europe as a main point is because we are THE SHIT, deal with it. Chinese still boiling dogs alive, stuck in the Three Kingdoms era.

Half this forum is filled with closet racist and 90% of the posters here are eurocentrist so it does not come as a surpise that you want to play a game set in a time period where Europeans genocided and enslaved people of colour all over the world. By making the setting three kingdoms they are clearly making a stance in the fight to decolonize video gaming and for that I applaud them.
Bravo CA, bravo!

If I had the choice between eating boiled dog (which is delicious btw) or the shit you disgusting barbarians eat in the UK then yes, bring out the chopsticks Chang, meats back on the menu!

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:32 pm »
If a person who has dedicated his entire life to master the arts of combat, clad in heavy armor and equipped with a finely crafted weapon, were to go up against 100 unarmored peasants, then yes I do believe he'd be able to take them out.

Meanwhile I'd bet that just 5 could take him out, easy. Run at him, dogpile him so he can't even move, shank him with knives until he bleeds out. Not to mention the chinese didn't use full plate armor or anything, so an arrow to the chest is still an arrow to the chest, regardless of how many hours you've trained in the martial arts.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 09:09:45 pm »
+1
Meanwhile I'd bet that just 5 could take him out, easy. Run at him, dogpile him so he can't even move, shank him with knives until he bleeds out. Not to mention the chinese didn't use full plate armor or anything, so an arrow to the chest is still an arrow to the chest, regardless of how many hours you've trained in the martial arts.
You musta never seen that movie Hero- chinese can dodge arrows.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:13 pm »
If a person who has dedicated his entire life to master the arts of combat, clad in heavy armor and equipped with a finely crafted weapon, were to go up against 100 unarmored peasants, then yes I do believe he'd be able to take them out.

Both yours and Bugnir theory have massive flaws:
- killing is tiring business, so even if you are totally invincible (from armor and/or skill) you cannot kill many unless you do it on a span of an entire battle or even war, and that number would not go much higher than a couple hundreds in a lifetime even for the luckier son of a bitch out there.
- noone "dogpiles" anyone that is being actively threatened with sharpened tools... now if the target is surrounded, occupied, alone, or a combination of the three, sure... but its never a simple question of maths.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 10:10:53 pm »
100 people and not one of them can grab an arm?

100 dumb peasants and everyone's knocking half-assed against 1 person in their superior armour? Also the armour is magic so none of the weapons that fail to penetrate carry any momentum into the wearer. Also all 100 peasants maintain an optimal distance for their single opponent to be able to swing and hit them, but without getting in the way of his swings prematurely. And none of them at any point, not even the ones behind, ever consider attempting to grab the one person somehow killing dozens of them with a sword.

Maybe they all sit on the ground and expect him to grow into corn. Y'know, cos they're dumb peasants.

... fantasy shit.

Being surrounded by 100 peasants is fantasy shit in itself  :lol: :lol:. But I did add that being surrounded (whatever the number that surrounds, 3 or 1 000 000) can indeed lead to any extraordinary heroes being quickly dispatched: basically we agree on the fact that you cant solo armies of people. But then you gotta mitigate that fact with the factor that virtually noone except fanatics would just "pile" on an enemy, people dont want to be the first die you know? Both anti and pro heroes are using fantasy as facts.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:00 pm »

Half this forum is filled with closet racist and 90% of the posters here are eurocentrist

I am not a closet racist, it is not racist to point out facts like Chinese boiling and skinning dogs alive, the videos are on the internet and they have a festival where they all get together to circle jerk over torturing dogs to death.

P.S, all those games you mentioned still had more variety and cultures in their vanilla release than Three Kingdoms will have on release unless it is a fantasy game. If you start talking about DLC then you auto lose because they all also got a bunch of DLC with more units and cultures. Three Kingdoms will suck.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 11:52:35 pm »
+1
Half this forum is filled with closet racist and 90% of the posters here are eurocentrist so it does not come as a surpise that you want to play a game set in a time period where Europeans genocided and enslaved people of colour all over the world. By making the setting three kingdoms they are clearly making a stance in the fight to decolonize video gaming and for that I applaud them.
Bravo CA, bravo!

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 02:35:45 am »
Being surrounded by 100 peasants or 'normie' soldiers is exactly what the heroes in this game are going to be. So yes, fantasy shit.

But we werent talking about the actual game content, and even if we were there is no game content to be observed so this is just speculation. And again, we agree on most parts (except those where you use fantasy to debunk fantasy) so when I read your posts I'm not even sure who you're talking to, strange feeling  :?