Author Topic: Remove Ranged/Shield on Rageball  (Read 788 times)

Offline Kirman

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tormatun
  • Game nicks: Kirman/Namrik/Anmirk/Riknam
Remove Ranged/Shield on Rageball
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:49:42 pm »
+11
Ranged makes it unplayable especially ''Nomad Bow'' People were saying ''get a shield''. Remove the shield aswell. You can't catch the ball while holding a shield anyway.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:53:05 pm by Xside »

Offline Tonyukuk

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MikariN
  • IRC nick: MikariN
Re: Remove Ranged/Shield on Rageball
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:55:03 pm »
+2
as an archer  rageball=training area   

but i agreed with kirman.
Unreal:
Essay ban, 800 words on: "Accepting defeat and learning from it"

GEEKÄ°LLER:only 2 words: "Fuck You!"

Offline Thorondor

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Turks
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Beleg
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:39:36 pm »
+8
and make makelele and bumbo admins in eu6. it's the only way to get rid of the whole deathmatching thing

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »
No!  All classes allowed.  Stop limiting, naysayers.

Add cav instead.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:11:42 pm »
+2
Ranged makes it unplayable especially ''Nomad Bow'' People

Those are quite annoying indeed. I will see if I can talk to Paul about that.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:34 pm »
Those are quite annoying indeed. I will see if I can talk to Paul about that.

So you want to remove a class...because they are annoying...

Super fast 10 athletics chars are also annoying, especially in rage ball.   Should be remove?

Tin cans also annoying in rage ball, they hardly move and can't contribute.  Should remove?

I wish I could make the world comfortable for everyone.  I wish I could remove free will from society and make it safe for all of you.  I wish for the soles of your shoes to be coated in blubber, and the bus seats extra padding to keep the roughness of life at bay.  I wish I could remove ranged from rageball and then from all of crpg to make you sleep more soundly at night.  I wish no one had to experience death and pain from losing a loved one.

But this is life, and to play god -- to remove all the hardships and annoyances of life -- will not improve it.  In fact, it will make it dull.  Meaningless.  Embrace your pain, brothers.  Relish in the challenges and hardships of life.  Struggle to survive, and then, thrive because of the strength that struggle has wrought!

We're all gonna make it, bro.  No more tears.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »
+1
So you want to remove a class...because they are annoying...

Super fast 10 athletics chars are also annoying, especially in rage ball.   Should be remove?

Tin cans also annoying in rage ball, they hardly move and can't contribute.  Should remove?

I wish I could make the world comfortable for everyone.  I wish I could remove free will from society and make it safe for all of you.  I wish for the soles of your shoes to be coated in blubber, and the bus seats extra padding to keep the roughness of life at bay.  I wish I could remove ranged from rageball and then from all of crpg to make you sleep more soundly at night.  I wish no one had to experience death and pain from losing a loved one.

But this is life, and to play god -- to remove all the hardships and annoyances of life -- will not improve it.  In fact, it will make it dull.  Meaningless.  Embrace your pain, brothers.  Relish in the challenges and hardships of life.  Struggle to survive, and then, thrive because of the strength that struggle has wrought!

We're all gonna make it, bro.  No more tears.

That's a heap of bullshit. Ranged in rageball is exclusively fun for the people playing ranged. Well, that's true in any gamemode, but really gamebreaking in rageball.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:16:35 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

I was not talking about removing anything ;)

OP has a point though, it is quite easy to tdm everyone as an archer in rageball. Even more so since the average armour rating is quite low in rageball, which makes even the low dmg nomad bow a killing machine. The only counter to that would be taking a shield and spawn kill the archer over and over again so he cannot shoot anyone, which effectively denies 2 people to play the game, which is bullshit needless to say.

I dont see any problem with archery in rageball as long the arrows are meant to hit the enemy ballcarrier or any enemy who is about to get into possession of the ball, as it should go for every class when attacking enemies. Unfortunately not everybody is willing to play by these rules so implementing a system/mechanic/something in order to distinguish between a random tdm engagement and a justified ball related engagement would be neat. That is what I had in mind.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:19:25 pm »
+1
Ranged in rageball is exclusively fun for the people playing ranged.

I am living proof this is incorrect.  Gaze upon me, world, and behold your miraculous anomaly!!!

Or...maybe I'm not so unique after all.  :)

I do have the unique disposition of genuinely enjoying both a challenge and diversity.  That, I will admit, IS a rare thing in the crpg community!

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:22:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I was not talking about removing anything ;)

OP has a point though, it is quite easy to tdm everyone as an archer in rageball. Even more so since the average armour rating is quite low in rageball, which makes even the low dmg nomad bow a killing machine. The only counter to that would be taking a shield and spawn kill the archer over and over again so he cannot shoot anyone, which effectively denies 2 people to play the game, which is bullshit needless to say.

I dont see any problem with archery in rageball as long the arrows are meant to hit the enemy ballcarrier or any enemy who is about to get into possession of the ball, as it should go for every class when attacking enemies. Unfortunately not everybody is willing to play by these rules so implementing a system/mechanic/something in order to distinguish between a random tdm engagement and a justified ball related engagement would be neat. That is what I had in mind.

Makes sense.  But it is also good to harass players in the open who are in good position to receive a pass.  Ir attack players who are coming to assist the ball carrier OR opponents who are harassing your teammates for whatever reason.  A good tactic is to kill players not near the ball to open up a break-through lane. 

It would be hard to take these valid tactics into account and implement a mechanic that doesn't make rageball 2 dimensional.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:32:35 pm »
I am living proof this is incorrect.  Gaze upon me, world, and behold your miraculous anomaly!!!

Or...maybe I'm not so unique after all.  :)

I do have the unique disposition of genuinely enjoying both a challenge and diversity.  That, I will admit, IS a rare thing in the crpg community!

I'm sure you appreciate a challenge, and many people playing cRPG and Warband appreciate a challenge too. I'm a specimen as I enjoy playing cRPG naked with only a 1h weapon to defend myself.
The problem in your reasoning is when you try to link challenge and getting shot. There is no challenge in dodging, just RNG and the shooter's skill. You can dodge perfectly and still get shot. Ranged is synonymous with the absence of challenge because the ranged players suffer no risk whatsoever and those getting shot are completely passive.

Moreover, the only proper response to ranged dickbags in rageball is either become a ranged dickbag oneself, or try to spawnkill them. I don't think I need to explain to you why this isn't fun. I probably do.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 11:41:06 pm »
I'm sure you appreciate a challenge, and many people playing cRPG and Warband appreciate a challenge too. I'm a specimen as I enjoy playing cRPG naked with only a 1h weapon to defend myself.
The problem in your reasoning is when you try to link challenge and getting shot. There is no challenge in dodging, just RNG and the shooter's skill. You can dodge perfectly and still get shot. Ranged is synonymous with the absence of challenge because the ranged players suffer no risk whatsoever and those getting shot are completely passive.

Moreover, the only proper response to ranged dickbags in rageball is either become a ranged dickbag oneself, or try to spawnkill them. I don't think I need to explain to you why this isn't fun. I probably do.

It's a skill, and there is much you can do to take power back!

Here is a guide I wrote in 2012, just as relevant today !

http://forum.melee.org/guides/(guide)-how-to-defend-against-archers-xbows-and-not-become-a-statistic/

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:17:26 am »
+1
It's a skill, and there is much you can do to take power back!

Here is a guide I wrote in 2012, just as relevant today !

http://forum.melee.org/guides/(guide)-how-to-defend-against-archers-xbows-and-not-become-a-statistic/

lol, dude it's 2014 that excuse doesn't work anymore.

Offline Porthos

• Marshall
  • Renown: 779
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • The February Patch Survivor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hello Kitty Clan (aka 'Clan For Fun')
  • Game nicks: Porthos_Woodstock, InvasionOfGiganticLANDCRABS, Random_Nobody, cRPG_Addict and many more
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:06 am »
Maybe we should have a rule about tdm like if you killing the person who is not near the ball - you get a multiplicator penalty. And if you do it often - kick from server automatically. Or something like that.
p.s. And shields should not be removed, what a bullshit. But ranged guys are really annoying.
<=== thanks to Tiny_Glancer <3 (never click on that image)
I'm not sure if ships are ingame
You Can't Kill Me