Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 08:10:04 am »
Bizarre reasons ? Seriously what the main protagonist says sometimes is as believable as "This man died with his hand turned 90 degrees eastward therefore he must be muslim". I grew fond of another, quite similar series called "The Mentalist" but somehow this Sherlock character is insufferably pretentious while the mentalist is just a good guy happy douchebag, even though they have about the same role in the two series.

The mentalist is one of my favorites. Yet to watch the new sherlock series... been meaning to start it sometime (for a year or so, now) just havent had the time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »
I like it. Mybe this is a hipsterthing? Series gets popularity and some people deem it crap while giving bizarre reasons? Honestly I dont see it. Sofar this season seems roughly the same as the last ones. Minus the random casesolving, but the characters and the dialogue are there.
I was refering to those that liked the first seasons and claim the current is bad.

I loved first 2 seasons, but the last one is crap, period. According to me ofc :P And I have a impression that most of fans - or at least those whose opinions I've read - are disappointed by last season. "Hipsterthing"? Bizarre argument.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:08:49 pm »
+2
Another thing about the series is that Moffat keeps bunging in references to the books, but now I see it's more like he's reworking the stories to give them an original retelling. But Mark Gatiss is just being bloody self-indulgent.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 05:12:42 pm »
+1
I enjoy the series for its actors, their dialogues and the way it's filmed.

I think it's very entertaining and that is what I seek in a good show: entertainment.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »
I loved first 2 seasons, but the last one is crap, period. According to me ofc :P And I have a impression that most of fans - or at least those whose opinions I've read - are disappointed by last season. "Hipsterthing"? Bizarre argument.
Why is it worse than the first 2 seasons? I found the quality identical.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 05:45:45 pm »
I saw a trailer for the next generation Sherlock and that dude doesn't look aquiline enough.
And how!

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 07:03:35 pm »
Season 3 is out? Fucking netflix is fucking with me..
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 07:47:08 pm »
+1
Season 3 started on new years and has finished now on British TV :P im sure netflix doesn't get it instantly. And lets be honest a lot of people who believe they are smarter and better than others act like complete superior assholes  (just read some of xants posts) :D  Sherlock is an ass in the books too <3
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:50:54 pm by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 08:11:40 pm »
+1
Why is it worse than the first 2 seasons? I found the quality identical.

Sherlock's character in previous seasons was shown consequently and with a dose of moderating (dunno how to put it correctly :P); his traits as a "higly funcional sociopath" wasn't overdrawn. In season 3 he's jumping from being some whinning idiot, through dimwit, unable to say a word in front of people, to murderous psychopath. And his mind's palace...  :rolleyes:

I do agree that crime riddles were silly in all seasons, but now there's general lack of any sense in all aspects of movie. And this pathetic villain, Moriarty's character has been built step by step through 5 episods while Magnuson jumped in like a rabbit from a hole (is there such a saying? probably not...) and now he's the most evil guy in the whole world? I don't buy it. Even Molly, so quiet and overwhelmed in first 2 seasons, now punches Sherlock in face.

My general impression is that series lost his characteristic climate, now it's a mix of soap opera and.. well, dunno what else.

Sherlock is an ass in the books too <3

Sherlock as an asshole was funny, the problem is now he's pitiful. 

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 08:28:32 pm »
+2
The Magnuson plot was so retarded

As was the solution, because it was so obvious, and something any 5 year old should have seen coming (so should have Magnuson)
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:48 am »
Season 3 started on new years and has finished now on British TV :P im sure netflix doesn't get it instantly. And lets be honest a lot of people who believe they are smarter and better than others act like complete superior assholes  (just read some of xants posts) :D  Sherlock is an ass in the books too <3

Dang it, hope ill get it soon..
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 10:15:58 am »
+4
British TV shows are the worst. I'm sure you can't name even a single decent british TV show, they're all crap.

You really haven't watched Doctor Who or Top Gear (not the 'murrican one) for example? Whoa, boy you don't know what you are missing!
(click to show/hide)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 11:51:22 am »
Mark Gatiss comes from a comedic actor background, in popular comedy show The League of Gentlemen so I don't really expect stellar serious acting (though he does a fine job). He is to add colour to the show I think

Anyway, I was never a huge fan of Sherlock though I made myself watch the first two series and they were pretty decent. I liked the first episode of series 3 but the second two (especially the second) were kind of poor imo. The second felt like it had no real story running through it with all the flashbacks. The third was quite irritating with the storyline between Watson and his wife and the end was OK but they made it kind of clear that Sherlock was going to shoot him. Also it kind of felt like they were making Sherlock have some weired super hero powers with his mind palace

If they don't make more I won't mind but would probably watch them if they did. Not great, not terrible
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:36 pm »
You really haven't watched Doctor Who or Top Gear (not the 'murrican one) for example? Whoa, boy you don't know what you are missing!
(click to show/hide)
I don't care about Doctor Who hipster shit, I don't watch it and never will. The british Top Gear is indeed the best and most funniest show about cars, I gotta agree there.

Also my post wasn't anti-british, they just tend to mess up good TV show ideas because they don't have the means and actors at their disposal like Hollywood/US and just do a bad job in general. They still have a great sense of humor and some of the best musicians.  :D

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 12:36:44 am »
+1
The first episode of the third series opened well then decended into nonsense. Second episode continued in that nonsensical way. Third episode actually managed to wrap things up decently and was more or less interesting and well executed but the ending was so straight forward and dull that it made no sense.

I mean they set up Mr Murdoch as being very security conscious and then when he flies them to his house no one pats them down...

Also making every bad guy and autistic servant is just painful.

Rupert isn't a high functioning autistic servant, his just an Australian with a stick up his arse that controls a huge chunk of the worlds media... That's bad enough ffs.

They could have done something far more interesting. I think they let themselves down by not bringing in a couple of new writers to add to the team, they needed to put more effort into the plotting and come up with something mind bendingly complicated.

(nonsensical)Rant over.

----

There is no point in comparing British television to TV from the USA. To totally different beast and with the expansion of HBO and Netflix that's going completely out the window.

What a lot of the lay people don't get is that the film and television industry is completely incestuous within the Anglosphere. American shows are filmed all over the anglosphere and out side of it as well. You can find British ADs on Australian films, Australia DOPs on fucking everything. And the actors go bloody everywhere!

In Australia you can earn a decent living as an accent couch for American accents, it's super important for everyone to be able to go broad with their accents and luckily for the Australian actors the Australian accent is super adaptable.

Case in point Margot Robbie - a total babe, kick arse actor and very awesome person to boot just had a major role in Wolf of Wall Street.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3053338/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

The notion of each area being a completely different beast isn't really true, but what is interesting is what happens when the money comes from different places.

Look at kick starter funded films vs studio vs indie vs government funded (BBC, Screen Australia) that's where the difference kicks in, in my opinion. By far the worst one is Screen Australia. They pump out utter shit. We used to make such fucking great movies but now we mostly pump out the same tired old shit, it's really sad. I'm actually leaving the country because of it, there's just no point in trying to make films here at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:52:49 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(