Author Topic: FALLOUT 4 IS A LIE  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
Re: FALLOUT 4 IS COMING!!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 02:23:45 am »
Identify the main plot. Never touch it again. Enjoy the game.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 08:58:59 am »
Identify the main plot. Never touch it again. Enjoy the game.

This. Had more fun doing whatever the fuck I wanted in Fallout 3 than doing the NV main quest. So I got bored of NV quickly because it was really nothing new, map and story aside. Mods allowed me to add whatever I wanted so I already burned myself out on fallout 3. If NV had been considerably improved or different I might have been more inclined to play it.

As it stands neither FO3 or NV are what I'd call 'good', perhaps fun and different but theyre bland in the long run and only mods saved them.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »
This. Had more fun doing whatever the fuck I wanted in Fallout 3 than doing the NV main quest. So I got bored of NV quickly because it was really nothing new, map and story aside. Mods allowed me to add whatever I wanted so I already burned myself out on fallout 3. If NV had been considerably improved or different I might have been more inclined to play it.

As it stands neither FO3 or NV are what I'd call 'good', perhaps fun and different but theyre bland in the long run and only mods saved them.

Nah...mods sucked with the exception of Animated Prostitution and UI mods (make em like F1nF2)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »
Nah...mods sucked with the exception of Animated Prostitution and UI mods (make em like F1nF2)

The overhaul mods are the only reason to play either of those games, you cant turn a turd into gold but you can decorate it and spray some aftershave on it.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 01:46:51 pm »
+2
I only started truly to have fun with Fallout 3 after applying higher damage mod.

Headshotting someone 5 times only to reduce their health to 1/2 was not much of fun.

EDIT: And they should get better engine, because gamebryo is just plain shit.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:53 pm »
Played them both on PC and Xbox and I must say I had a better time on the console they were both buggy as hell on PC. Enjoyed NV more, I like new things new settings, expanding Fallout to wesr coast is a nice way to see first hand the situation on differnet sides of the coast and to experience the different impacts on the people and culture in different places. Somebody said Fallout in Europe would be awfull but done right I'd love to see what happened on that side of the world.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:58 pm »
I only started truly to have fun with Fallout 3 after applying higher damage mod.

Headshotting someone 5 times only to reduce their health to 1/2 was not much of fun.

EDIT: And they should get better engine, because gamebryo is just plain shit.

They can't get a new engine. They ARE Gamebryo. I doubt they could make anything of value at all if you took it away from them.

Somebody said Fallout in Europe would be awfull but done right I'd love to see what happened on that side of the world.

Not somebody. Berenger. He doesn't miss an opportunity to project his American superiority, ever.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 04:11:54 pm »
They can't get a new engine. They ARE Gamebryo. I doubt they could make anything of value at all if you took it away from them.

Oh crap...

Well, at least it is still mostly shooter, so the engine limitations will not be as apparent as they were in oblivion.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »
Somebody said Fallout in Europe would be awfull but done right I'd love to see what happened on that side of the world.

Radiation Rain every day ingame. More grey and apocalyptic than F1,F2,F3 and NV. And also Super Mutant Nationalistic Skinheads lol

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 05:35:47 pm »
+4
FNV contra F3, rlysrsly?

FNV has much, much better storyline, even if not looking at personal taste but standard evaluation of what makes a good story,
real adult themes (not only the token curseword as in F3),
really interesting characters, show me just one from F3 (just you don't say three dog..) and I'll give you a list of FNV favourites,
many, many times the amount of dialogue which also branches now and isn't written by an eighth grader,
is a real westcoast Fallout universe game following the timeline of the earlier games in the series (except tactics), keenly aware of its predecessors,
has a pretty great companion system with companion questlines,
has this whole morally ambiguous faction story arc with faction loyalty mechanics,
like F1 and F2 fun and engaging quests, deep and thoughtful, intelligent and creative (thinking of the briliant DLC main quests here mainly which can really form your character or even like a great book be food for thought for yourself),
real super mutants,
ironsights,
fps-like ballistic system with real ranged shootouts (not the facehug spray it was in F3),
balanced perks (more or less but overwhelmingly so compared to F3 otherwise play Sawyer's final patch),
functional melee,
weapon mods,
creative factions which have evolved along the Fallout universe timeline following historical principles (Sawyer is a trained historian),
the most player choice driven story line with the greatest amount of variables possible influencing each other in the most mind-boggling complexity I've seen since F2 and even surpassing it, how the quest choices play together in as incredibly many different variations, how a small choice there might have enormous consequences at another time if for this alone FNV should be famous (if you don't want to play the game but are interested i rpgs in general read just how many ways there are just to deal with Benny and how this influences the rest of the game, comparable only to Dragon Age 1 on the whole regency issue), I've had 12 different characters in FNV, five all moral variants of the same guy...,
has a real, thriving world full of hundreds and hundreds of NPC's, both named and generic, unlike the barren world of F3 which had next to no end game and where you could hardly kill off any npc's as it would just leave it even more empty,
hardcore mode,
the original fallout series musical score,
real deathclaws,
humour, I actually laugh a lot when playing FNV, can't for the life of me remember one funny moment in F3 and I played it for years, if you have memory of one such please remind me,
numerous skill and perk affected dialogue options as has always been a Fallout mainstay,
a lot more quests and even more sidequests a lot of which have neither quest marker nor appear in your notebook,
etc.

(click to show/hide)

To really experience FNV you have to dig deep into it, the real grittiness, humour, references and culture critique is hidden under sheets and under the bed, in notes and diaries, in sidequests .. And you should definitely try the expansions.

But again, if F3 was your first Fallout game you probably had the unfamiliarity with FNV that old Fallout gamers had with F3, but looking at pure mechanics... I get it if you preferred the urban environment of F3, but really what most people argue as strengths pro F3 are rehashed quests from F1 and 2, usually with a real poor execution. Plus sci-fi/post-apocalyptic Western universes are pretty damn neat, if you decide giving it a try again try to wear that cowboy hat.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:45:55 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »
creative factions which have evolved along the Fallout universe timeline following historical principles (Sawyer is a trained historian),
The generic Roman faction which looked exactly like the generic Roman faction from Skyrim really radiates creativity.

That said I completely agree with you that NV was a much better game in pretty much any aspect. One thing that really made an impression on me with Fallout 3 which I didn't have as much with NV is that moment you get out of that vault. The wasteland had such atmosphere I just felt like exploring. NV's world wasn't as wastelandish as the East Coast shit hole and it felt a little less adventurous and more civilized. That is a matter of taste though, as soon as you actually did a good bit of exploring the world was pretty boring and unconvincing and the atmosphere slowly melted away.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »
I'll be first to admit that though I really like the idea - following the trend of the wasteland becoming more civilized and centralized and the decline of the Khans, Jackals and Vipers - of a raider faction based on the Romans, a veritable army of raiders with the old world ghosts always so important in the series, and with Caesar being an old Follower with knowledge of the Roman Legions, the execution of the faction is still the weakest in the game. As I said, a caricature. I try to imagine it as a 70s pulp, post-apocalyptic cartoon, like many of the other stylistic choices, the game being launched with the 'All Roads' comic and all. The roman gear made from old football stuff and such I don't know.. Mad Max references abound but I'd prefer it if Caesar had had them construct mailles instead..

Generic Roman faction in Skyrim is the Third Empire of Tamriel, they're supposed to look like that  :P

But yeah, two games with Roman-esque arguably antagonist faction with the same publisher, though it is not produced by the same studio and the idea for the faction has existed as canonical lore (if you deem the Fallout Bible somewhat canonical) since the Van Buren days.

I'll also say I prefer the old barren wasteland you refer to the most, F2 where everything was just scorched desert, visually F3 had nice environments, a shame it was a bad RPG.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 06:59:20 pm »
I think I played a different FNV than you did Agantyr because to me it was the same old shit as FO3 ( or worst considering I only played FO3 with decent mods ) except it was on a shitter map. Neither games are great games and neither are great RPGs, but NV didn't bring enough change to the table to make me feel like I wanted to keep playing it after a run through.

Fingers crossed Fallout 4 is a far better game than either of those 2 or I doubt I'll get much playtime out of it either.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 07:00:35 pm »
+2
Can we at least agree that F2 is the best in the series?  :wink:

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 07:03:13 pm »
There is no argument in that, it's a fact lol.