Author Topic: New DTV Is Shit  (Read 7981 times)

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
New DTV Is Shit
« on: November 19, 2013, 04:50:20 am »
+8
"When it ain't broke, don't fix it"

It was excellent the way you had it, but you've ruined Defend the Viscount, despite all odds. well done gents. I don't know if you think you are revitalizing the community by repeatedly bringing down your mod, but sadly it isn't working. People are unhappy with this new format and are leaving one by one.

Defend the Viscount beforehand was thoroughly balanced, had magnificent and pliable maps, encouraged teamwork and was just a nice little corner where us friends could sit down and relax.

But this new DTV has many problems. Namely its odd, clunky, ugly new/old-reintroduced maps. This isn't funny. Also you yourselves have turned from the "No fantasy maps" rule that you officials created and imposed with the addition of Helms Deep. And I, and everyone else, am fine with new maps, thankful for them even, but not when they are terrible and go hand in hand with bringing down the DTV experience of the broad masses.

Also found on the new, hastily employed map(s) can be found invisible barriers. What the hell!? DTV NEVER needed this before. What little freedom to fight for ourselves is being constricted! The only positive motive I can conjure that explains these barriers is that they stop Nomad Horse archers from drawing out the one round. It sounds good in writing, but by god, it isn't worth the rich, full experience that free DTV offers.

Lastly, I will mention the overpowered new wave(s). Directly after Weaboos, one is met with agonizingly, uniformly powerful resistance. Not only are we average players beset by all cavalry on the final wave of the French Lady round, but they are wearing coat-of-plates and actual plate! This is unheard of, plate is normally only witnessed on the final round of DTV, now it's on wave 5. It takes as many hits from my flamberge to take down one of these banshees as it does to take down a tin can. Just who thought this was a good idea?

I haven't had the pleasure, of fighting the other wave from hell you guys have spawned. But I know what I see and as a man who has played almost exclusively on Defend the Viscount/Virgin/Village for several years I say you guys have royally fucked up. I know a lot of heart and effort has been put into cRPG, I realize this and that you are often given crap by people whose interests lie only with their own selves. But your efforts on this mod musn't go to waste on such a fallacy, a flaw! So Whether or not this was intended, we don't know nor care, but you have made us and the mod suffer without due cause, now fix your mod and get rid of this idiocy for both our sakes and yours.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:03:41 am by TheDashingRogue »

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
Re: New DTV Is Shit
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:13:02 am »
+6

I have to agree with Rogue that you guys messed up dtv by adding invisible barriers and implementing a plate wave at wave 5

If the purpose of the invisible barriers was to prevent horse archers from kiting and delaying then why not just remove Nomad Horse Archers and replace them with foot archers or 1h cavalry instead of restricting player movement Please allow us to move and go where we want....

If anything we could keep the new maps for the change of pace but keep the old maps in rotation so we can have both new and old for those that like the new/old maps.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:44:22 am »
Defend the Viscount beforehand was thoroughly balanced, had magnificent and pliable maps, encouraged teamwork and was just a nice little corner where us friends could run the server like a bunch of communist tyrants because screw freedom of speech. #red4lyfe

Fixed.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • Renown: 316
  • Infamy: 135
  • cRPG Player
  • «This is where we fight, this is where they die!!»
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Other
  • Game nicks: Afina
  • IRC nick: Afina
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:03:35 am »
+6
invisible barriers is full of shit, I'm sick of this :shock:
Madness…? This is Sparta!

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:51:49 am »
+4
overall ideas are good, new waves are awesome (how long have we asked for this? thanks for giving us 2 extra waves :D)
but i agree with all the invisible barriers, they limit the map a bit too much
too often i have been killed by killing bots while backpaddling and suddenly stopping cause of a barrier

i think first: expand the maps a little bit again, not a lot, just around the viscount so in higher waves when leading a bot-train you actually have some space

and secondly: please put fences EVERYWHERE you put an invisible wall, or debris or whatever, as long as you make those invisible walls visible

apart from that removing all the big exploits (aka isti hut etc) is good, teamwork is a must now rather than leeching while 5 people get 700 kills each
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:59:44 am »
THIS IS VERY GOOD IDEA (and secondly: please put fences EVERYWHERE you put an invisible wall, or debris or whatever, as long as you make those invisible walls visible)  :D

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »
It's not i like i want to to invisible wall everything. But Shik and myself decided that dtv should no longer have any kind of roof, fence, barn or hut exploiting and the mentality of the majority of the dtv players is still "If i can exploit it, i will exploit it", thus the invisible walls. Every tiny little spot where you can lure the bots without taking any damage will be used and if you think removing exploits from a gamemode is a bad thing, then i'm sorry for you. Those walls are not there to prevent the bots from going anywhere unwanted, because i've noticed that they follow the AI meshes quite nicely, but to prevent the players from finding exploits. Heck, people even nudged and tried it for ever just to find an exploit on a roof.

Sure i can put fences everwhere; and i will put stuff to make the invisible walls visible where i see fit, but that makes the outlay of some maps look like shit and i figured people will get used to the placement of the invisible walls. Sooner or later there will be some more open maps, but for now the bots need more optimization and the small maps on the server make it easier than if you have to face Cav on a wide open field.

The one version of Helms Deep will be edited so you can go down the ladders, for now i wanted to prevent str crutchers to nudge people way beyond the invisible walls and thus getting the fence exploit (only with inv wall) and frankly, i wanted to see how bots react if they have to face ladders only. And they all dismounted, which is good, although then their cav blocks their way further up the ladders, which is bad. But i have some fixes for both problems.

Also, lovely patch day QQ.

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:40 pm »
+2
invisible wall is shit. because when a player goes to attack his subconscious thinks that there is no side or rear of the wall is not visible, but when he is attacked by a bunch of bots he tries to move to the side or back, and there is a wall, and he finds himself in a big assthis asshole is not visible wall
therefore it is necessary to make these visible walls that help to better orentir

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 12:34:08 pm »
invisible wall is shit. because when a player goes to attack his subconscious thinks that there is no side or rear of the wall is not visible, but when he is attacked by a bunch of bots he tries to move to the side or back, and there is a wall, and he finds himself in a big assthis asshole is not visible wall

Yes, that is the case if you play the map for the first time. If you go there another time you will think of that. Also, how about you at least try to express yourself in a more reasonable form instead of "ass this" and "ass that"?

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 12:37:02 pm »
out all these invisible walls that are tailor-made to the players fall into these traps and were surrounded by bots to the wolves
cool idea  :D

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 12:43:11 pm »
+5
Yes, that is the case if you play the map for the first time. If you go there another time you will think of that. Also, how about you at least try to express yourself in a more reasonable form instead of "ass this" and "ass that"?

I for one was confused by the mere fact that they attempted to do anything to DTV. But why on Earth would you change the ability to exploit? Pretty much any archer role is fucked because most maps that I've played on are completely narrow corridors. Yes, twas very considerate of you to put the wooden ramps to stand on, but when bots can get underneath them and then hit you?  Also, at least on the NA end most of the people who play are people who want a break from battle/siege, or mainly peasants.

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 12:52:30 pm »
I for one was confused by the mere fact that they attempted to do anything to DTV. But why on Earth would you change the ability to exploit? Pretty much any archer role is fucked because most maps that I've played on are completely narrow corridors. Yes, twas very considerate of you to put the wooden ramps to stand on, but when bots can get underneath them and then hit you?  Also, at least on the NA end most of the people who play are people who want a break from battle/siege, or mainly peasants.

We tried those maps for quite some time on HRE DTV and believe it or not, on most maps ranged have plenty of places to shoot from, IF the melee players try to help them. Shieldwall close to those stands and/or generally at places where ranged can support the melee makes this so much easier for ranged. There are some maps where it gets very hard even with a good team and that is why the bots will get further optimization, but on most you can get to tincans with a good team.

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 01:00:11 pm »
I agree with FIPS with a good team you can win all the time though

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:21:20 pm »
+1
Why can't I exploit anymore and what is this "teamplay" bullshit people babble about? DTV bots were the only adversaries players like us could outwit and now you take that away from us?