Author Topic: Attack control by inverse mouse movement  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Attack control by inverse mouse movement
« on: October 19, 2013, 02:28:32 am »
+1
Attack control by inverse mouse movement - is it worth to try it out after 3 years of playing with "normal" attacks? Especially from 1handers point of view.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
Re: Attack control by inverse mouse movement
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:29:25 am »
+2
Attack control by inverse mouse movement - is it worth to try it out after 3 years of playing with "normal" attacks? Especially from 1handers point of view.

I have no idea but even thinking about it makes my head spin. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 03:10:17 am »
+3
I use it for a year, its better than normal mouse movement on many points (spinning, drawing kick, release feints, turning around opponent's block). It also confuses opponents which are used to regular mouse movement footwork and attack combinations, since there is not many players using inverse mouse movement. It works well with all weapons type.

Also way more "natural" weapon movement : doing an overhead with a real weapon is a downward movement. Think about your mouse like it is a real weapon, and strike.

A veteran can totally relearn the mouse movement in a few weeks without problem, but it will be hard in the beginning. Like if you were playing the game for the first time.

Offline This_Isnt_Gomer

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:57:53 am »
+1
I use it for a year, its better than normal mouse movement on many points (spinning, drawing kick, release feints, turning around opponent's block). It also confuses opponents which are used to regular mouse movement footwork and attack combinations, since there is not many players using inverse mouse movement. It works well with all weapons type.

Also way more "natural" weapon movement : doing an overhead with a real weapon is a downward movement. Think about your mouse like it is a real weapon, and strike.

A veteran can totally relearn the mouse movement in a few weeks without problem, but it will be hard in the beginning. Like if you were playing the game for the first time.
Trying it and ive been trying it for awhile now. HARD TO GET USED TO. But fucks people in the head.
 <--- This is my Rifle there are many like it but this one is MINE.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:03 am »
+1
I regret that I discovered this option too late   :rolleyes:, if I wouldn't play mostly as a shielder (feinting left attack was a bit problematic for me  :lol:) I'd definatly switch like 3 years ago when I was playing Native exclusively. Butan posted pretty much all benefits. But some of my old friends like Pifcio, Libertine used it pretty efficiently while playing as shielders. There is nothing more annoying when you are facing some guy with 1 handed weapon and his right swing suddenly hits your back  :lol:

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 11:11:46 am »
+1
I wanted to learn it at one point, but when I tried playing 1h cav with it I promised myself never to do that again. If you're not gonna play 1h cav I'd recommend trying it out
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 12:11:32 pm »
Thanks for your answers  :wink: I have tried it already for some time and even though I still confuse attack directions it seems worth a try. But I have a question, chambers are harder (a lot  harder?) to make with inverted mouse movement? I have practiced them quite a lot recently and now all thine hard work got wasted  :| It's a bit disheartening  :wink:

feinting left attack was a bit problematic for me  :lol:

I have huge problems with left feints, basically I'm not able to do them at all, even 1 left feint outside of fight :P

OH, 1h stab with this inverted thing seems even faster than with "normal" mouse movement.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »
+1
It took me few weeks to learn to control my attacks properly again, and two months to learn to chambering again :D  (didn't have much time to play back then)
Only thing that the inverse mouse movement is bad at is the 2hander stab-sideswing-stab wiggling. Can't do that anymore, altho i never really play 2 handed anyway.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »
+2
Thanks for your answers  :wink: I have tried it already for some time and even though I still confuse attack directions it seems worth a try. But I have a question, chambers are harder (a lot  harder?) to make with inverted mouse movement? I have practiced them quite a lot recently and now all thine hard work got wasted  :|
Chambering is tricky with inverted, since you have to move your mouse opposite the direction of a block. It's doable though, it just takes a lot of practice.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 06:10:58 pm »
+2
I've been using inverted attacks from the day I installed this game, because it seemed like the most natural way to swing (I move my mouse from left to right - the blade hits from left to right, that's how I see it).

- it does confuse enemies a lot (although originally I thought is was because it's just me being good  :)). The faster your weapon is, the more noticeable it becomes. We've duelled quite a bit with you Cirilla, I'm not sure how it felt for you, but I have quite a problems while blocking other inverted attack directions users.

- Playing 1h cav is harder, ok for singleplayer but bad for multiplayer.

- Chambering is hard, definitely. I dont' rely on chambering and half of my successful chamberblocks are made against held strikes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:14:49 pm by Macropus »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 06:29:12 pm »
+3
Chambering isnt harder/easier with inverse/regular mouse movement, but like everything else you need to completely forget what you learned. And that is harder the more you played without  :wink:

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 12:58:25 am »
And that is harder the more you played without  :wink:

Yeah, thanks for encouragement :P Biggest problem I see with inverted mouse movement is left attack. As a 1h I need this attack, but now it's so hard for me to make it  :| I was feinting a lot left swing, now instead of that I make right feints :P Macropus, or maybe some other 1hander, do you have any problems with using left swing?

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 01:18:22 am »
+1

Yeah, thanks for encouragement :P Biggest problem I see with inverted mouse movement is left attack. As a 1h I need this attack, but now it's so hard for me to make it  :| I was feinting a lot left swing, now instead of that I make right feints :P Macropus, or maybe some other 1hander, do you have any problems with using left swing?
I never really had any problem doing left swings, so it's probably just a matter of adjustment. My favourite 1h feints were left-thrust-left-etc and left-overhead-left-etc, so it's definitely doable.

The only gotcha is if you start your chamber animation while aimed too far to the right of your opponent. In that case, you will have to move your mouse left before the chamber animation finishes. This forces you to quickly transition from a right movement to start the swing, into a left movement to align the swing. I expect people using normal controls would run into a similar situation when starting their chamber animation, while aimed too far to the left of their opponent.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:47:32 am by Vodner »

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 11:13:27 am »
+1
ive played around with it a few times on native duels and eu3 and its fun for a change but it doesn't feel more natural to me :P If you want to spin slash or hiltslash like a pro tho its for you :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Tyr_

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Suum cuique
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tyr; Merc_Nemo; Caesar_Salad
  • IRC nick: Tyr_
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 03:04:48 pm »
+1
I never realised that there is people still using "normal" direction. I used Inverted from the first day, so maybe thats why i think its fairly easy, but especially playing as 2h i think its superior to normal settings. It makes Hiltslashing and circling your enemy much easier while you still can use high speed bonus for your attacks, and especially chambering other attacks is very easy while using inverted attacks.
Right now i play 1h cav and i dont see any difficulty in it, though chambering as 1h seems to be quite hard with inverted, but maybe its just hard for me because i am used to 2h.
But as 2h or 4 directional polearm i definitly recommend inverted attack direction.