Author Topic: Lazy blocking  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: Lazy blocking
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 07:16:26 pm »
Having game mechanics without proper feedback is always lousy. Block stun, hold bonus, and speed bonus are the most significant examples I can think of. Everybody grows accustomed to them eventually, but it takes far longer than it would with proper cues.

If there were cues, it could cause people abusing it.  Strength builds would hold attacks, look for the cue.  Then hold an attack again to create no window for the defender to retaliate except through a really risky move or running.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 07:19:47 pm »
If there were cues, it could cause people abusing it.  Strength builds would hold attacks, look for the cue.  Then hold an attack again to create no window for the defender to retaliate except through a really risky move or running.
Several people already make heavy use of block stun. It just took us longer to get to that point due to opaque mechanics. If a mechanic is weak, then it should be brought into the open and abused heavily until fixed.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 07:21:02 pm »
Several people already make heavy use of block stun. It just took us longer to get to that point due to opaque mechanics.

I understand your point and I do agree.  Although, the Opaqueness helps in the long run because it keeps them guessing.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 07:29:03 pm »
Several people already make heavy use of block stun. It just took us longer to get to that point due to opaque mechanics. If a mechanic is weak, then it should be brought into the open and abused heavily until fixed.

I'm amazed the Heavy Great Sword/Nodachi/War cleaver aren't more popular. With a strength build, you can reliably block stun Longsword/1h/spear users with these swords, and a lot of people don't properly recognize block stun. People see a maul/bar mace/etc and expect to get block stunned on held attacks, but it's probably more surprising with a sword. When I was 33/9 with a Long Bardiche, block stun was probably responsible for half my kills.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 07:58:51 pm »
I agree with Saul about the animation cues.

That was my biggest complaint about WotR was that there was no real feedback or difference in animation between swinging and missing, swinging and being blocked, and swinging and hitting someone. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy