Author Topic: Stuff I Learned  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
Re: Stuff I Learned
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:58:47 pm »
+5
When fighting as an infantry of any type where there are 2+ enemies:

Always target switch when possible. A decent blocker will usually be able to block your attacks, but no matter how good that second person is at blocking, they can't actually block your attack if they don't realize or see that you're changing your choice of target to him/her. And as Macropus pointed out, 2 1v1s should actually be approached as a 2v1+1.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 07:06:14 pm »
+2
When I saw Rhaelys post, I thought it was going to be "NBOH"

great post Dexxtaa.

If your clan ever collapses again you'd fit well into ours, we fight with the same sort of doctrine.
#gottem

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 10:49:37 pm »
footwork is key imo: i had internet problems today, my downloadlimit has run out and im on very bad connection. I had either delayed animations (when people attacked/blocked/got hit/etc...) but i could play quite average because i used alot of footwork. I was kind of playing blind and just guessing where they should strike. I do this all the time, but now my focus was really on it.
eg: if you run past a guy, block to that side, because he will either do a sideswing and hit your block or do an overhead and miss you. Thats actually the very basic and it will become an instinct. running through mobs will just become the same as blocking a guy that keeps hitting from the single direction.
You can even hold a right/left block and run through a mob while spinning in circles, catching every single incoming attack.

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 11:40:15 pm »
+1
You can hide parts of your body and head into the wall by holding left or right with a two handed sword while aiming at the ground.

I've learned how to play this game in an odd way of using its graphical limitations to stealth in corners or haystacks, letting enemies pass so I can either flank them or go after their ranged. You'd be surprised how many people don't pay attention to their surroundings, I get the feeling most players rely on movement to detect people rather than actively searching them out by textures.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 01:25:59 am »
+1
Stuff I learned just now:

Never ask (even as a joke) for people to vote 1 on a banpoll directed at YOU:lol:
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 10:32:21 am »
You can hide parts of your body and head into the wall by holding left or right with a two handed sword while aiming at the ground.

I've learned how to play this game in an odd way of using its graphical limitations to stealth in corners or haystacks, letting enemies pass so I can either flank them or go after their ranged. You'd be surprised how many people don't pay attention to their surroundings, I get the feeling most players rely on movement to detect people rather than actively searching them out by textures.

I navigate by scent alone.  Unfortunately, everyone smells like shit.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 01:24:03 pm »
When fighting as an infantry of any type where there are 2+ enemies:

Always target switch when possible. A decent blocker will usually be able to block your attacks, but no matter how good that second person is at blocking, they can't actually block your attack if they don't realize or see that you're changing your choice of target to him/her. And as Macropus pointed out, 2 1v1s should actually be approached as a 2v1+1.

This is key to fighting 1 vs. 2+ imo.
It can also be turned around as an advice for fighting 2 vs. 1 though: in my experience, you should focus om blocking more than attacking in those situations. Of course you have to be aggressive, but the reason switching targets work so well in 1 v 2 is that most people simply hold a left/right swing trying to get in range and release. This allows for the enemy to get a quick swing in, instead you should be blocking whichever direction the enemy is attack and get in a quick hit when he will be unable to block it due to blocking your friend's attack or holding an attack himself.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 02:10:48 pm »
Stuff I learned just now:

Never ask (even as a joke) for people to vote 1 on a banpoll directed at YOU:lol:
You're talking about me? :)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Carthage

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: HG_Hamlicar, HG_Rommel, HG_PunicCarthage
  • IRC nick: Carthage
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 02:21:34 am »
+1
When being a shielder and no one is around DON'T DROP THE SHIELD always assume a crossbow/bow is aimed at you. Also always let the 2hander feint away you just keep strafing left to right, to avoid a possible kick and to slowly push him/her into a wall or piss him/her off to the point you can get a safe swing in

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 05:13:42 am »
+2
Always be aware. Always gank when possible. Enjoy your constant high multi.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 07:57:29 am »

Always better to be lucky than good
Personally, I make a horrid duelist. I'm a level 34; 24/15 mounted infantry build. I do well in battle not because I'm good at killing, but because I'm an opportunist.

I am the same way, many times I out K:D better players not become I am better but because I take advantages when I can. 
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Equal

• Earl
  • Renown: 344
  • Infamy: 24
  • Secretly not gay
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Equal
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »
+4
Some cavalry tips:

Always assume the spearmen are watching you
If you see someone walking in a straight line, chances are they're '~ing' you and will end up rearing your horse. You never want to risk rearing your horse, like Dex said you should be an opportunist, there will be a better chance later in the round (not to mention people will have low health later in the round!) to risk your horse for.

Horse Archers will kill your unarmored horse
If you're riding a courser or other lightly armored horse, you can get taken down with 3 arrows easily. I never recommend attacking a horse archer by yourself. If you're being pursued ride back to your team if possible or to the closest ranged ally, 9/10 times they will leave you alone. If your horse is armored then you can take more risks in taking them out.

Bumps r OP
In my opinion, bumping the enemy is the best way cavalry can help their team, setting their teammates up to kill them on the ground. Also when dealing with ranged, if you miss them with your lance/sword you can generally still run them over to prevent them from shooting for a few more seconds, and many lightly armored foes can even die in about 3-4 bumps later in the round. Your teammates won't be happy if you bump them either however.

And finally, always take the shot.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:15 pm »
+1
Always assume that xbower that you are "sneaking" up on knows you are there.

A thousand times this. Any good xbowmen knows whats going on around them, especially at the end of the round. Rarely 1 time in 10 does someone actually get the jump on me.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Fanlaen

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »
Couple of questions:

1) How do you deal with people who have shields as a 2H? Seems like they can just block your first hit and then your range advantage is lost right away. Then they just spam their faster attacks and either you block forever or you go for a hit and die.

2)How the hell do you kill cavalry? If I stand directly in front of them and try to thrust, I get run over. If I stand to the side and side swing, I hit their horse, but they usually kill me with the one swing.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:35 pm »
+1
Very nice info!

BTW I felt the lack of Patrick in any of your post in this thread was......disturbing.