Author Topic: Stuff I Learned  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
Stuff I Learned
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »
+25
I figured I'd post a couple tidbits that I found out in my experience playing cRPG. If anyone is willing to share their little lessons, you're more than welcome :D

Always better to be lucky than good
Personally, I make a horrid duelist. I'm a level 34; 24/15 mounted infantry build. I do well in battle not because I'm good at killing, but because I'm an opportunist. Shinock and I have a little score keeping game we play where we try to personally kill the other. Truthfully, Shinock would beat my face down any day of the week, in a 1v1. The only reason I can keep up with him is because I'm an opportunistic fighter. I sit around and take some swings, but most of all, I wait for the other person to be tied up, distracted, arrow stunned or just plain unaware. Engaging people who are fully aware of my presence, or can devote 100% of their focus on me doesn't sit well with me, tactically. "Why would I fight a guy head on risking the chance to lose, when I can simply engage him when he's busy, thereby increasing my odds of success?"

I admit that if I wanted to go head to head with the guy, I would. But as far as teamwork goes, dropping to a duel isn't going to help the team as a whole.

Synergy; it's a thing
Something I've been hooting from my mountaintop hermit house for years now. I reference the word "synergy" so frequently with people that it's become a running joke we throw around. But when it comes down to it, teamwork is always key. Even when I'm playing without TeamSpeak/Vent/Mumble/whatever, I tend to play more defensively with my team as best as I can. And when engaging opponents, I hold a side swing, so someone else can take an overhead. It's not about the score, it's about working together!

Combat Flow and Moving with the Current
There's a time to engage and there's a time to wait. The way this game works is generally "the bulk force moves forward, and everyone smashes each others' faces in." But there are nuances with regards to that. I always see very reputable "hero" characters carrying the spearhead of the team, and I'm happy for their board and scimitar builds, going out there and doing work. But in the event they overextend, there's no coming back.

As a second line "shock" trooper, I find that combat flow is a pretty good concept to be aware of; where you are relative to the team, where your team is relative to the other team, what troop composition (based on weapon type) is engaging where, and what angle the enemy composition is engaging our forces. There's a time to fight and a time to flee. When you have the upper hand; continue the momentum, but know when to stop. A reckless push usually ends up with the other team consuming the splinter "spearhead" force, since not everyone on the team has a shield, or is as willing to plow into a phalanx.

Combat awareness kind of comes into play here, since everyone is working towards the unified goal of "bashing in skulls and bathing in the blood of their enemies," paying attention to where your teammates are in conjunction with knowing when to strike and when to withdraw will definitely allow the team to function as a single entity.
~~

Just some things I noticed. If anyone has input (agree/disagree), I'd like to hear your thoughts!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
Re: Stuff I Learned
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:00:50 pm »
+10
Always assume that xbower that you are "sneaking" up on knows you are there.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:33:53 pm »
+3
Nicely written, but I find it's only for infantry fights. A cav/ranged won't be learning much from this.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:34:25 am »
Nicely written, but I find it's only for infantry fights. A cav/ranged won't be learning much from this.

I'll definitely think about stuff for riders, but since I don't spend enough time as an archer or ranged, I won't claim to have any useful lessons for it.

I'm sure the ranged can definitely take something from Combat flow, though!

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:40:56 am »
+2

Stuff I learned about ranged

Point at enemies. Click.

Stuff I learned about cav

Ride up behind people that aren't paying attention/already fighting. Then when you get close either push the X key or left click.

The End

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:18:00 am »
+2
All cavalry are assmen.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:24:44 am »
+9
Always assume the three teammates directly to your sides will run away the moment those two enemies get closer, because fuck pikemen.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:51:52 am »
+9
Always assume the three teammates directly to your sides will run away the moment those two enemies get closer, because fuck pikemen.

Just assume pub people are clueless idiots. You'll live longer.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:11:42 am »
+12
Iron flesh is not to help you survive from enemy attacks but from your own team

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:32:10 am »
+2
Stuff I learned about ranged

Point at enemies. Click.

So prepare your anus, that will be penetrated by a lance. And let other infantry catch you. Because you will be only pointing at enemies and click. Good advice.

Stuff I learned about cav

Ride up behind people that aren't paying attention/already fighting. Then when you get close either push the X key or left click.

So don't calculate what your enemies and your allies will be moving, and bump everyone on your way. Also don't even think about enemy spearmen and get raped in seconds. Good advice.

The End

I can say the same thing for infantry: Get close at enemies, look at them and click. Sounds simple? It surely is, but there are nuances for being good in melee; as well as mounted and ranged.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
+1
I sit around and take some swings, but most of all, I wait for the other person to be tied up, distracted, arrow stunned or just plain unaware. Engaging people who are fully aware of my presence, or can devote 100% of their focus on me doesn't sit well with me, tactically. "Why would I fight a guy head on risking the chance to lose, when I can simply engage him when he's busy, thereby increasing my odds of success?"
So true. Do not think you have to finish anyone you're fighting with at the moment. A good player should switch his targets often, striking those who are not aware of him. If it is 2 vs 2, don't duel like 1 vs 1 and another 1 vs 1. Help your teammate to finish the first guy quickly, then you'd easily deal with the second guy. Basically fighting with some good player 1 vs 1 in battle is a waste of time, except some situations when you can kill him really fast (like shielder that caught an archer or 2h vs pikeman).

Offline warhamer

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 03:47:28 pm »
+3
Not sure if this works for other people real well but I do this and it works. Basically if you have decent armor you can jump in between the enemy line with a long reaching 2h or poleaxe and swing while doing circles. It sounds idiotic and yes you can die from it but at times it has helped my team either in distracting the enemy or just killing people who weren't looking. I do this with 0 IF so basically I die by the time I finish or am almost dead but it helps my team in the long run. If it can help your team greatly sometimes it's worth it to sacrifice yourself. Do note that I am no master killer and don't get way high on the leader board less I'm lucky.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »
Not sure if this works for other people real well but I do this and it works. Basically if you have decent armor you can jump in between the enemy line with a long reaching 2h or poleaxe and swing while doing circles. It sounds idiotic and yes you can die from it but at times it has helped my team either in distracting the enemy or just killing people who weren't looking. I do this with 0 IF so basically I die by the time I finish or am almost dead but it helps my team in the long run. If it can help your team greatly sometimes it's worth it to sacrifice yourself. Do note that I am no master killer and don't get way high on the leader board less I'm lucky.
(click to show/hide)

The day will come when you will be able to plow into the other team like that and still come out alive, brave warrior!

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:53:06 pm »
+1
great post Dexxtaa.

If your clan ever collapses you'd fit well into ours, we fight with the same sort of doctrine.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:54:57 pm »
(click to show/hide)

This can work well against bad/sloppy players but decent ones will spot your pattern quickly and box you in or wait for your to circle into their kill field and bring you down.