Author Topic: Torment: Tides of Numenera - Kickstarter  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Torment: Tides of Numenera - Kickstarter
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:08:27 pm »
+6
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera (The video is pretty funny.)

A thematic sequel to Planescape: Torment on Kickstarter.

The campaign started an hour ago, and they already have 255 000$ out of 900 000$.

I'm thrilled and might donate. Yes, I'm a lousy fanboy.

• A Deep, Thematically Satisfying Story. The philosophical underpinnings of Torment drive the game, both mechanically and narratively. Your words, choices, and actions will be your primary weapons.
  • A World Unlike Any Other. The game has a fantastic, original setting, with awe-inspiring painterly visuals, imaginative locations, truly offbeat items, and massive feats of magic. In Numenera, however, "magic" is actually something surprisingly different.
  • A Rich, Personal Narrative. The story is thoughtful and character-driven—epic in feel but a deeply personal narrative, with nontraditional characters and companions who have their own motivations and desires that drive them throughout the game.
  • Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences. The game emphasizes replayability and reactivity, and your choices will make a real difference. You can play the game with a different approach and discover entirely new pathways. Most important, we won't tell you how to play. The best ending is the one you choose, flowing naturally from your actions throughout the game.
  • Torment is not a sequel to PS:T. It does not continue the stories of PS:T or its characters.
  • Torment is set in Numenera’s Ninth World, a new tabletop RPG setting created by renowned designer Monte Cook (he and Colin wrote much of the material for the Planescape tabletop setting).
  • Torment will use a new rules system that's based on the Numenera system but adapted specifically for a computer RPG.
  • We'll strive to make Torment's combat system and encounters an engaging and entertaining part of the gameplay. We'll connect them narratively to the overall story. And, continuing the Torment tradition, we'll make most if not all combat avoidable.

Story:
You are the Last Castoff, the final link in the chain of the lives of the being they call the Changing God. He once was a man who discovered a way to use the relics of the ancients to cheat death and skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he never knew that his bodies lived on as his consciousness fled, a new consciousness arising in each. Now he has awakened an age-old enemy, the Angel of Entropy, and his days of change are gone as the Angel hunts him and all his works. That includes... you.

With the ever-present threat of oblivion looming over you, you must find your sire before he—and you—are eradicated by the avenging Angel. You will find allies and enemies among the other castoffs. You might inhabit their minds for a time through the devices called “the Meres,” turning their lives to your advantage. You will travel across the face of the Ninth World, and above and below it, with your companions at your side—or alone, if you wish. Your quest will take you to alternate dimensions and distant worlds under strange suns; particular Meres might afford you even more bizarre experiences, such as folding time itself. And you will build your legacy as you find your answer to the question:

What does one life matter?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:21:56 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera - Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:55:32 pm »
Note: They will add a PayPal option once the minimum funding has been reached.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »
Kickstarter? That is so 2012. :rolleyes:

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »
+1
Kickstarter? That is so 2012. :rolleyes:
10 500 people seem to diagree  :wink:

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:03 pm »
Funded in 6 hours. Cool stuff.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:02:55 pm »
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:26:12 pm »
Heh. I'm extremely tempted to pitch in for the 45$ pledge. You get both Wasteland 2 and Torment with that.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:11:27 pm »
Some updates..

Video update nr. 1:

Music preview:

And stretch goals:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Zox_Fury

• Baron
  • Renown: 142
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • La illaha il'Allah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zox_Fury
  • IRC nick: Zox_Fury
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:22:45 pm »
Hey ,

Torment was an awesome game.. i know that some of creators of this game work actually on "Project eternity" that i support cause it seems to be the worthy successor of BG (Obsidian past work is awesome on Fallout 2 and other master pieces) but about the new Torment i readed some messages that explained Obsidian will not be on the project.

I do a mistake if i say that creators of this game are different of the original Torment team?

Btw Kickstart is an awesome and powerful tool for independant games. Old players(and younger) which known games with a deep background could only enjoy it a lot :-)

I found the text :
"If you missed Monday’s announcement by the good folks at InXile, Brian Fargo and crew announced their new Kickstarter project opening tomorrow called Torment: Tides of Numenera. That name may sound oddly familiar, yes! They are making a spiritual successor to the beloved Planescape: Torment. We seriously couldn’t control ourselves here guys, and had to make sure all of you knew about it too as fans of the genre!"

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:29:24 pm by Zox_Fury »
Subhan'LLAH wa bihamdih

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »
+1
I do a mistake if i say that creators of this game are different of the original Torment team?

Zox_Fury. Chris Avellone, who was the lead designer of PS:T is not working on the project. The reason is because he is working on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 (a game made by the same developers of Torment: Tides of Numenera).

Other than that, they basically have everyone from the original Planescape: Torment game in their team. Here is some detail about the team they managed to gather:
(click to show/hide)
Basically, they have the same writers, composer, scripter, artists, editors, and of course Brian Fargo who published it. The Project Director for the game is the lead designer for Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, which has an awesome story and is very Tormentlike. Brian Fargo was the head of Interplay who published Planescape: Torment, and he's nowadays the head of InXile, who is developing this Torment.

The only one missing is Chris Avellone from Obsidian, and if you're wondering what he thinks about this, then here you go:
(click to show/hide)

I wouldn't worry about the team too much :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:53:03 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Zox_Fury

• Baron
  • Renown: 142
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • La illaha il'Allah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zox_Fury
  • IRC nick: Zox_Fury
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 02:29:38 pm »
Thx a lot to have take the time to explain that Khorin ,you finished to convince me to support this project.. And i think that the Wasteland + Torment package is really attractive :-D

Btw the most important thing in Torment in my opinion was the maturity of dialogs and freedom of action so Chris is great but not irreplaceable.

Subhan'LLAH wa bihamdih

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 02:40:00 pm »
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, which has an awesome story and is very Tormentlike.

Interesting. So would you say getting the expansion is worth it, even if you almost totally disliked the story of the base game?

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:38 pm »
If you can get past the overall shoddiness of NWN2. Getting Mask of the Betrayer is definately worth it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/neverwinter-nights-2-mask-of-the-betrayer

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:31 pm »
Oh look. One of my favourite authors as a stretch goal. In case some people haven't heard of Patrick Rothfuss, do read his books "Name of the Wind" and "Wise Man's Fear". They're pretty awesome.

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04:32 am »

Even more writers - but hey it's Chris Avellone. They surely know how to generate money with name dropping  :wink:

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D