Author Topic: 2h swords  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Ragnar_Ulfson

• Count
  • Renown: 185
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ulfson
  • IRC nick: Ulfson
Re: 2h swords
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 03:12:23 pm »
+1
QQ and step your game up, I see many good players switch gens / builds all the time and do fine with all weapons.  FFS FrugFrug uses a War Spear and practice shield and does quite decent (now Frug is amazing), I'm not saying 2h aren't easy bc they are, but stop complaining and up your Skill level nubs!  Especially that guy Digglez!   

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »
+3
Did i see someone say 4 directional polearms are rare  :shock:
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2012, 03:22:11 pm »
+2
I never really played 2H until my current gen. It's pretty fun but all the high-tier 2H swords feel like 2 directional polearms when you are in a close quarters fight. With side swings you will bump and cancel on teamates or accidentally damage them. Overhead and stab are good enough to get kills, but it feels like you are wasting the potential of your weapon.

Dueling other 2H and polearm (no shield) in a more open space is really fun. Lots of tense footwork and blocking. Slamming a cav off their horse with a side swing feels badass too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2012, 03:49:29 pm »
+3
Polearms got a lot of nerfs (or got hit hardest by them). 2 direction weapons became much less useful than before. They feel shorter with the glances. The 4 direction spears do pitiful damage with side swings, and still the stabs aren't that great. That used to be balanced with their stagger. I wanted polestagger removed, but they should at least have increase side swing damage on spears to compensate. You can increase damage on spears and increase penalty for holding a shield if its about hoplite balance. A lot of the midrange PA's are overshadowed by 2 handers now, and should get some buffs of their own imo

Anyway I felt I should put some thoughts about the "2 hand is easy mode" I see here. Easy compared to what, shielders? I'm not looking to say anything is OP here, just some things people tend to forget about 2handers. To me shielders have the best of both worlds. They have very fast attacks, omni direction block, ability to get out of clusterfucks and towards their team easier, ability to fight easier outnumbered, ability to defend adequately against ranged and they duel 2 hander/pole very well too imo.

Then most can block like a boss after you break their shield and get their speed up, so they can face hug even easier and force you to double+ block

They have awesome access to pierce/blunt and knockdown

The range is the main weakness, but even that is deceptively long, and as a polearmer I don't feel I can dictate range against a shielder. They can just block until they get close enough. This might be something I can work on as a player but often I want to fight shielders up close so they can't get away because then you get the spin/insta left swing

So I don't think its fair to point at 2 handers and say they have it easy when they have to manually block every incoming attack. Its about risk vs reward..if you have omni block and defence against ranged you should find you do less damage or have some other weakness against 2 handers. How many 2 handers do you see that just spam left/right and get kills? Theres like one guy I know who consistently does that but he's practised that style and it can be easily countered
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 03:58:01 pm »
2h always was and still is the most powerful and effective (I'm not saying easiest) class of this game. That has different reasons. Firstly 2h weapons have the best animations, which grant them not only superior reach but also a huge speed bonus. In addition to the high speed and reach they also have the biggest damage output.
Another reason for 2h being such an attractive class is the fact, that it's much easier for 2h to get kills in the early levels of the game. Especially archers, throwers and shielders are heavily gimped till the mid-20 levels, while 2h just needs to stack strenght the first few levels so they can use a high damaging axe and start killing.   

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »
+3
2h cav is the master race.
Turtles

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2012, 04:26:35 pm »
If I wasn't polearm I would be 2 hander, because manual directional blocking is one of the key features of the game to me.

Ooo stop it. There easy as balls. You can  spam block with a longsword and look like a pro, or any 2h for that fact. I seen a dude mess up a block 4 times and still manage to get a block off as my wep is jn midswing.  Plus the most overpowered weapon is a 2hmorningstar

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »
I too played 2h for 3 gens or so, easiest time i've ever had in this game.
What I don't understand is why this game rewards players for effortless kills.
Every patch seems to buff / indirectly buff 2h, why is this?

Ive been 2h for quite some time now. Ive tried out all of the builds sofar. I wouldnt go this far and say "2h rewards players for effortless kills". Its easier than other classes yes, but saying that it gives you 100% win each time is somewhat wrong. Id say I put quite alot of effort into the kills I get. Very rarely I land some randombullshit lolstab on a poor enemy and gain a kill for it. Not to mention fucking up a lolstab as 2h(this does happen alot) is a definate deathpenalty. So it does require somewhat skill.

2h is a very versatile weapon. It can take down cav, it suits for supportive, agressive and defensive players while also looking pretty damn sexy. Im just 2h cause I love the look of the swords.

And the patches dont buff 2h, they just nerf everything else besides 2h(until recently).

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2012, 04:49:01 pm »
+1
2h hammer obv

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2012, 04:49:16 pm »
+3
2h always was and still is the most powerful and effective (I'm not saying easiest) class of this game. That has different reasons. Firstly 2h weapons have the best animations, which grant them not only superior reach but also a huge speed bonus. In addition to the high speed and reach they also have the biggest damage output.
Another reason for 2h being such an attractive class is the fact, that it's much easier for 2h to get kills in the early levels of the game. Especially archers, throwers and shielders are heavily gimped till the mid-20 levels, while 2h just needs to stack strenght the first few levels so they can use a high damaging axe and start killing.

Comparing reach and damage output between 2handers and polearms doesn't really accomplish much as the weapons in the two categories are too different from each other even within each grouping, so what weapons are we talking about exactly?
Many 2handers with high cut damage, many polearms with high cut damage, many of both with high blunt damage, though more polearms on average with high piercing dam.

Concerning reach then it is true that 2h animations adds considerably to the wep length stat but still it depends wholly on the weapon in use and to say that 2h weapons generally have 'superior reach' is plain wrong as polearms are in general much longer than 2handers to begin with, and it is 'generally' only on the thrust that the very longest 2handers can outreach polearms that otherwise have the reach advantage on every other attack available. But take the widely-used longest polearms like long spear or pike as example and polearms far outreach the competition.

And a 'huge speed bonus' due to 2h animations :?:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1003
  • Infamy: 1882
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »
+6
strong
easy
effective
jack of all trades
cheap

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »
+2
Because every other class has been nerfed the shit out.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2012, 06:21:29 pm »
+1
Polearms got a lot of nerfs (or got hit hardest by them). 2 direction weapons became much less useful than before. They feel shorter with the glances. The 4 direction spears do pitiful damage with side swings, and still the stabs aren't that great. That used to be balanced with their stagger. I wanted polestagger removed, but they should at least have increase side swing damage on spears to compensate. You can increase damage on spears and increase penalty for holding a shield if its about hoplite balance. A lot of the midrange PA's are overshadowed by 2 handers now, and should get some buffs of their own imo

Anyway I felt I should put some thoughts about the "2 hand is easy mode" I see here. Easy compared to what, shielders? I'm not looking to say anything is OP here, just some things people tend to forget about 2handers. To me shielders have the best of both worlds. They have very fast attacks, omni direction block, ability to get out of clusterfucks and towards their team easier, ability to fight easier outnumbered, ability to defend adequately against ranged and they duel 2 hander/pole very well too imo.

Then most can block like a boss after you break their shield and get their speed up, so they can face hug even easier and force you to double+ block

They have awesome access to pierce/blunt and knockdown

The range is the main weakness, but even that is deceptively long, and as a polearmer I don't feel I can dictate range against a shielder. They can just block until they get close enough. This might be something I can work on as a player but often I want to fight shielders up close so they can't get away because then you get the spin/insta left swing

So I don't think its fair to point at 2 handers and say they have it easy when they have to manually block every incoming attack. Its about risk vs reward..if you have omni block and defence against ranged you should find you do less damage or have some other weakness against 2 handers. How many 2 handers do you see that just spam left/right and get kills? Theres like one guy I know who consistently does that but he's practised that style and it can be easily countered
that 2h just suffer lack of defence, no mater what you will do you can block 2 directions no more, and ranged force you to move like wicher.
for me shielder is way easier class to perform

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2012, 06:28:32 pm »
+3
In duel as a 2h/pole I can just do a little dancing, throw some spam at the same time and that will kill half the playerbase.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2012, 06:31:15 pm »
+1
In duel as a 2h/pole I can just do a little dancing, throw some spam at the same time and that will kill half the playerbase.
that will kill half the playerbase no matter which weapon you will use.