Author Topic: 1 hand right swing.  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
1 hand right swing.
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:11:21 am »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
Re: 1 hand right swing.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:16:58 am »
+1
Hey Guys,

I don't know about you but this is annoying.  As most of you guys know, the way the combat mechanics work in this game is by turns.  My turn, your turn and so on and so forth.  What I found is that when I am fighting 2 hand agility guys with my 1 hand. the delay on the right hand swing breaks that mechanic.  Standing infront of me a 2 hander agility guy can do this: 

2 hand swings, I block, I go to return the attack with the right swing and the 2 hand has enough time before my swing releases to attack me again. 

In this way he can use his attack turn and then attack me again during my attack turn :shock:.  This clearly breaks the combat mechanics of the game, not to mention its a hudge advantage to 2 handers. 

This puts the 1 hander at a big disadvantage, currently the stab on 1 hander is mostly unusable the overhead misses about 60% of the time, therefore the only reliable attack the 1 hander has left against an agility 2 hander is the left swing.  Easily predictable and rather short range.

Knowing that a good 2 hander will simply fight just on his outer reach of his sword and retreat just enough after his attack phase to escape any counter from the left swing.  So the 1 hander has the hard choice of:

1.)  Chasing the opponent (bad idead cause with high agility and a long weapon the 2 hand has the initiative and advantage in the movement game)
2.)  Keep blocking and hope a teammate shows up and helps you out.
3.)  Keep the fight going long enough to move it to a tighter space (many times not available) 

Can we please give the 1 hander more tools in the tool box, because currently 3 of his 4 tools are unreliable.

Cheers,

Formless. 

Don't know about you but all of the best 1Hers I fight use their right swing very effectively as a distance closer. It's so deceptively long that I will oftentimes get hit when I think I'm out of reach. This applies for everything from the steel pick to the knightly arming sword.

Also the 1H overhead is super good; it's horizontal tolerance might be bad but it's really hard to see. You probably don't notice since you don't fight other 1Hers that you have to manual block all the time, but you notice when you're a 2H or polearm user.

I will give you that the 1H thrust is kinda crappy, but just channel your inner Saul or BobtheHero and stab the living shit out of everything.

So either I'm bad or you're not using your tools to their best extent.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:40:56 am »
+1
1h right swing is amazing. I use it up close a lot of the time but also for outranging and I don't get spammed by agi 2hs. Please don't change it, I love it too much :(
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:33:24 am »
+1
Hi there

I did a new and more accurate test and actually recorded the main part of it and posted that on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntqFkHWdItk

As you should know the weapon reaches of 2 handed, 1 handed and polearms are quite a bit different depending on type and direction.
The shortest of them all is the polearm stab.

Here are numbers you can add to reaches of weapons to equalize all of the weapons and their attack directions.

Polearms :
+0   Stab
+15 Overhead
+23 Right
+15 Left
+30 If you stab while mounted or holding a shield

2 handed :
+65 Stab
+45 Overhead
+30 Right
+30 Left

1 handed :
+40 Stab
+30 Overhead
+40 Right
+15 Left

Arkonor

http://forum.meleegaming.com/guides/weapon-reaches-explained-(video)/msg363312/#msg363312

his video is long but informative i recommend it

right hand swing is by far the most effective tool in 1h arsenal i can easily out reach many enemy's with it if i use correct footwork(spinning left while attacking)

i would not recommend using it close up though see how it has such a long reach it glances at close range sometimes(unless huge spin added)

do you turn into your attacks?

i do admit a 1h stab isnt as easy as it was b4 the turn nerf but its still effective with a left spin to it

now OVERHEAD is very hard for me atleast to pull of but i can get it done out of the 4 it should be fixed the other three are fine

left attack is superb in close range combat NEVER use it when they have distance on u it will get you killed

now im going to go overhead alot and see how it is i hardly ever use it nowadays i kind of abandoned it
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:34:04 am »
Ya got those who feel that something is wrong with something wrong with it, then you have those who like something how it is and prefer not to change it, then you have a third group who pretty much say "You are bad at it."
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:23 am »
Ya got those who feel that something is wrong with something wrong with it, then you have those who like something how it is and prefer not to change it, then you have a third group who pretty much say "You are bad at it."
you essentially just explained every thread ever......
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:00 am »
It's a useful tool, I wouldn't change it.

Since overhead was retardedly nerfed, which was kind of the middle attack I used to mix up left swing before, I have been using right swing a lot more and it's really good when you move properly.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:45:10 am »
its already too fast. needs to be nerfed.
thanks for bringing it up,

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:22 am »
Only problem I have with 1h is I regularly glance stabs on peasant armor archers who are standing still facing another direction. I've also glanced a few overheads on unarmored heads. No idea whats up with it.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:12:01 am »
lolwat

The right swing is bordering on OP, probably the one animation that makes it worth to use 1h against longer 2h and pole arms.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 08:39:57 am »
+1
It's slow and it glances, but it's the one swing where you can do a ton of neat little tricks with it for 1h. The animation itself also has this odd ghost reach that can't be explained.

Offline Piok

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:55:51 am »
No. If you are skilled enough, you can do 3-4 attacks on your opponent before he even gets a chance to fight back.

Be it by footwork, kicking, chamber blocking, etc.
1h spammers could land one hit on me and others follow in so short order that I cannot rise successful block (using slow long bardiche).
Weapons with over 100 speed are nasty specially with very high wpf.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:26 pm »
Don't know about you but all of the best 1Hers I fight use their right swing very effectively as a distance closer. It's so deceptively long that I will oftentimes get hit when I think I'm out of reach. This applies for everything from the steel pick to the knightly arming sword.

Also the 1H overhead is super good; it's horizontal tolerance might be bad but it's really hard to see. You probably don't notice since you don't fight other 1Hers that you have to manual block all the time, but you notice when you're a 2H or polearm user.

I will give you that the 1H thrust is kinda crappy, but just channel your inner Saul or BobtheHero and stab the living shit out of everything.

So either I'm bad or you're not using your tools to their best extent.
[/quote

1H  overhead suck dick. Plain and simple. Gets me killed constantly. Overhead right thru the asshole to just get side swung. It looks like a direct hit so. Your not expecting the miss. And what your saying about right swing is awesome because of ghost reach is horseshit as well. Every weapon has ghost reach. It shouldnt bounce when its a direct hit. Im gen gen 24 with only 1h and tried every possible type of 1h. Those 2 swings get you killed more than not.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:38 pm »
It's slow and it glances, but it's the one swing where you can do a ton of neat little tricks with it for 1h. The animation itself also has this odd ghost reach that can't be explained.

Whats so hard to explain? Every godamn weapon has ghost range. The worst is great maul over heads

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 12:35:32 pm »
+1
Yeah,there are some 35 lvl 2h rus scale danish gs spammers out there that are very hard to kill and they spam and have good footwork so your best bet is to raise shield and withraw from fight if you feel you are slower and don't have chance.
Only attack them when you are in grop or have teammates arround.
It is a bit my old friendgish,but that is why you have shield. 2h,pole builds are much superior to your shield build,so play as support.
Also avoid playing in siedge.
What is your build and main weapon?