Author Topic: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition  (Read 63761 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:23:10 pm »
+2
About a week left untill this game is released, anyone here going to try it out? I already have it for ps3 but i am still going to get it for pc aswell just to see the changes and the DLC content. Definitely one of the best games i have ever played, and i recommend it to everyone who likes games that focuses a bit more on the atmosphere and gameplay rather than fancy storylines and long conversations. It is difficult aswell, sometimes in a cheap way but most of the time you can see whats coming up ahead by studying the environment ^^. It also has a wonderful combat system, smooth and can be a tad bit hard to master. Also the PvP is pretty good except for all the bullshit involved which i hope is fixed now in the pc version. (It was pretty laggy, and a lot of things were overpowered and never got patched T_T)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:14:29 pm »
I'm looking forward to it. I'm a Demon's Souls vet but I passed up on the sequel because I got into cRPG. I've been slowly growing away from cRPG and have been looking forward to the Steam release of the DkS: Prepare to Buy edition for a while now. I've heard the PvP isn't as good as it was in Demon's Souls but that detail isn't too off-putting for me. Definitely going to pick it up.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:42:53 am »
Heard it's a complete port which is to be expected since thats what they said it would be. However it's going to be capped at 30 fps, if you're on Windows Live on multiplayer and at any point drop below 15fps you automatically get kicked off. Also it's can't go any higher than 1024×720 internal framebuffer.

Even with all the draw backs it looks good, I never had a PS3 but I've played it at my friends house and I was addicted to it and have always told him "I wish they would release Dark Souls on PC" so I guess my wish came true so I can't complain.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »
Been unemployed when PS3 version was released, so i clocked about 150 hours in 2 weeks :)

Additional contents is nice to have, but it is not tempting enough for me to buy a PC version... 

A word of advice for anyone who never played the console version:

Connect your PC to your TV! Immersion is EVERYTHING in this game! Turn off the light, turn off your phone, turn your skype/messenger off, buy food, weed, beer in advance!

Play with a gamepad if possible! I expect mouse/keyboard combo to be annoying... Zoomed bow shots will be the only mouse-friendly feature, otherwise controller will work better imo.

DON'T read any spoilers! Not until you are FAR in the game! There are many, many, many surprises in this game, and being unprepared for them is a big part of the game imo. If you play for 10-20 hours and you love the game - just keep playing, you will get your achievements later, on second, or 3rd play-through ( with the same char ), just dont read the damn forums or Wiki articles. 

My old post from when the game got release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9IbPrk-yuts

Here is a mid game boss fight with a cutscene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN7qsKxEg0A

One of the best games i have ever played :)

And i still think it is ONE OF THE BEST GAMES I HAVE EVER PLAYED since 90's!
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:44 pm »
This was a game I had enjoyed more than anything else in the past several years and I'm going to pirate it to see if my computer can actually handle it competently enough before I drop 40 dollars and find out it chugs unbearably.
And how!

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:08:10 pm »
+1
I really hope my pc can handle it aswell, lol. Hopefully i can plug in my ps3 controller and use it since keyboard and mouse will feel weird, should work though as i managed to play cRPG with my ps3 controller a year ago...

Here's some new vids on the new content..... DAMNIT IT I WANT THIS NOW!

Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 08:15:50 pm »
I want it.. But they've done nothing other than a straight port, probably wont work on 50% of people's hardware!
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:59:16 am »
+1
When?

Connect your PC to your TV! Immersion is EVERYTHING in this game! Turn off the light, turn off your phone, turn your skype/messenger off, buy food, weed, beer in advance!
How does playing on a TV help immersion?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 03:37:50 pm »
I was really really hyped up about this since I loved both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on PS3. For me Dark Souls is the best game of the PS3. I couldn't wait to play the same game with PC controls. Because, you know, it's really a game that would fit with a keyboard/mouse combo. The locking system would not be needed anymore and we would have a 200% more awesome game.

But no, those assholes said it will be best to play with a gamepad. Now I just say FUCK YOU, what's the point of making a PC port if they won't even use the advantages of it ?

I mad. Big time.

When?
How does playing on a TV help immersion?

Bigger screen. And maybe the image looks bigger, depending on the distance between you and your TV.

Anyway, it will clearly be one of the best PC games of the year for people that don't have a PS3. Otherwise, a big letdown for me but maybe I'll buy it if the added content is good and doesn't show up as DLC for the PS3 version.

What really makes those games awesome :

- Traps are deadly and vicious, but if you are careful you can avoid all of them. All traps have visual and/or sonic elements that let you find them before it's too late. They are also frequent enough to remain dangerous, but not too frequent either, which means you need some effort to keep your guard up when exploring and they do not break the rythm too often.
- The best level design of all time (seriously). Locations are big, varied, always using three dimensions and maze-like, without being mazes either (you have visual/sonic clues to know where you are).
- Additionally in Dark Souls, there's only one enormous world, in one chunk, with no loading times whatsoever. The whole thing is very complicated and regions tend to have ways leading to other regions all over the place.
- Exploration is extremely unlinear. Most of the time you will lack clues as to where you should go next, meaning you will often meet impossible odds and be forced to flee.
- There is leveling and equipment building, which means you will grow stronger if you put more time in the game than strictly necessary. If a boss is too strong for you (although you only rarely need to put up a straight fight), you can spend some time leveling to make things easier.
- The game system in itself is very well tought and works flawlessly in practice.
- Awesome and very original music
- Good replay value since the game changes a lot once you finished your first walkthrough, and there are many mutually exclusive paths to follow (factions in Dark Souls for example).
- Very original online interactions. When you are in human form (small advantages but it consumes a very rare material (humanity) and you lose this status if you die), you can summon people to help you (usually for boss fights), but more interestingly, people can "invade" your world and try to kill you. Iirc you can win/lose humanity with those kinds of PvP fights. The possbility of another player popping out of nowhere to kill you while you play spices things up. A lot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:02:26 pm by Kafein »

Offline Tyrell

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Tyrell, Prince Aegon, Date_Masamune
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »
I wanted this at first but after seeing the fact that it will be a direct port and the fact that the game was made to frustrate you, I think I'll pass.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

LIBERNATE

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »
I wanted this at first but after seeing the fact that it will be a direct port and the fact that the game was made to frustrate you, I think I'll pass.

Demon's Souls was very frustrating in the first level because you couldn't level up, but it's really fine in Dark Souls. Sure, it's much more frustrating than 99% of the games out there, but in the end a lot of pleasure comes from frustration, especially when you overcome a difficulty.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:57 pm »
It's a direct port yes, but first they weren't planning to make it for pc at all, atleast pc people get a glimpse of the souls series. Allthough it couldve been made a little better, but all i hope for is a tad bit better online system.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:36 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Thanks mr. generous Pig!  :o :shock: :D

Your meadows and fields will forever be safe!

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:52 pm »
Gravoth.. You can invade me as much as you want, it will end in your doom always!

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:19:33 pm »
Only time will tell!  :twisted:

TOMORROW! Not even sure if im going to be a dark wraith though, hmm..  :?