Author Topic: Critique my build (hybrid)  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
Critique my build (hybrid)
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »
Retired yesterday, thinking of this build so i can do everything of all, letting me play as a cav when i feel like it, or a pikeman, or perhaps a dueller.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 18
Hit points: 59

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 3
Athletics: 6
Riding: 5
Weapon Master: 6

One Handed: 100
Two Handed: 100
Polearm: 101

Is this smart? Any advice? Thinking of going gen 3 with this build. It's versatile.

Also, is 5 riding sufficient for cav?

Offline Gourmi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Gourm_The_Defiler
Re: Critique my build (hybrid)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:28:52 pm »
its a good build ive used it many times exept without shield. but wpf in opinion is no good i would just go pole.. if you must just let go of the 2 handed and go 130 1H and a 100 pole

i do good with 5 riding but more is allways better as long as youre attributes allow you to id go 6 riding its much better than going +1 if and shield depens on you. and make sure you dont mind not being able to ride a courser
Don't fight a battle, You don't gain anything by winning

Offline Polobow

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:30:13 pm »
Well, this build is just so i can do everything when i feel like it, not that i'll be able to use them all at the same time.

And is a courser really that good?

Offline Gourmi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Gourm_The_Defiler
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:35:45 pm »
ive never liked the courser but its the faster in game horse so many people like it. i like the destrier being as its like a warhorse without armor but i mean go with it and try it if you want i when only with 100 wpf once and never again exept in throwing, lancing/pole or crossbow. something that is a side thing for my main wepon for ground fighting i like haveing all in one wpf but that is just me...
Don't fight a battle, You don't gain anything by winning

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:26:42 pm »
3 IF not worth it i say
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:38 pm »
you should consider droping polearm or twohander,  you will definitely have more fun with a tad more specialization.

remember that using the heavy lance with 0wpf works very well,  if thats why you want pole wpf.

the courser is a lot of fun.   recommend you drop the if and get 6 riding and 5 shield,  the increased forcefield of higher shieldskill will help your horse and your self survive,  whilst having 6 riding lets you at least loot a courser from time to time.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »
+2
Scratch the IF to put one more into shield. 4 unlocks Knightly Heater, Elite Cav, Plate Covered Round, etc. Throw one more into riding to be able to use a courser if you want, or roll with just 2 if. Also 100 prof is fairly low after armor reduction. I'd say split the prof into just two fields if you can bear it.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 04:35:58 am »
(click to show/hide)

Depending on personal taste, while on foot/dueling, I never wear anything heavier than my chain (Unless I'm lolplating on duel servers with spamberge), and I find 1H/polearm wpf on horseback don't really matter that much (Unless you're actually dueling on parallel horseback with manual blocks, which is fun and exciting, the feints often catch people off guard but the angles and animations made it less challenging than on foot.. I digress)

TL;DR: Pretty much this-
Scratch the IF to put one more into shield. 4 unlocks Knightly Heater, Elite Cav, Plate Covered Round, etc. Throw one more into riding to be able to use a courser if you want, or roll with just 2 if. Also 100 prof is fairly low after armor reduction. I'd say split the prof into just two fields if you can bear it.

Don't mind the 6 Shield on my build, though, I only wanted to equip steel shield just for the looks to go along with my plated pony. :mrgreen:

Oh the things people do just for looks... *Vacantly stares off into distant horizon*

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:58:29 pm »
You're going to want 4 shield as opposed to 3.  The 3 difficulty shields suck, the heater shield is really slow compared to 4 difficulty elite cav shield and knightly heater shield.

Having 100 in those 3 skills will make you "proficient" in them, but don't expect to out swing people who aren't hybrids and have 150 skill in 2h.  I'd suggest picking 2 of these and going 120-115 (or about, you'll have 1 or 2 more WPF)

Overall seems like a good hybrid, but feel free to drop IF as needed (even down to 0) if you feel that skill would be better used on something else.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:00:36 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:58 pm »
Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 18

Hit points: 53

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 5
Athletics: 6
Riding: 6
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 6

One Handed: 100
Polearm: 133

Offline Polobow

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Atleast now i know i'm dropping IF, getting 6 riding and 5 shield.

The thing i want 3 WPF styles is because i just want to have fun, doing everything a bit.
If i have 2 WPF styles, i would have 119 in one WPF and 118 in another WPF.

Does that 20-ish WPF really matter?
  • Taken from the mega mechanic thread, 120 WPF will give me 3% bonus damage, while 100 WPF gives me 0% bonus/penalty.
  • According to WaltF4, 100 WPF ( compared to 1 WPF ) gives you 6.5% faster speed. That means the 20 WPF gives me 1.3% speed bonus.
  • Tears of Destiny said that 1 wpf has 11% breaking chance, and 140 wpf has 2.5% breaking chance. That means the 20 extra WPF gives me around ~1.2% less breaking chance.

So, 3% bonus damage, 1.3% speed bonus and 1.2% less breaking chance for 20 WPF. Is that really needed, or is being able to play another weapon type more usefull?

I guess it is personal opinion, but i'll have more fun playing.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:00 pm »
actually I would recomend doing your main wpf with 140ish,  and your secondary with 100 or less,  depending on what you want to do.

do consider the weight penalty on your wpf,  and the fact that your crave for fun through diversity may be lessened by not being compatible with guys that have 50% higher effective wpf,  which will be almost everyone you encounter.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »
do consider the weight penalty on your wpf,  and the fact that your crave for fun through diversity may be lessened by not being compatible with guys that have 50% higher effective wpf,  which will be almost everyone you encounter.

The wpf penalty increases the difference. Wearing just medium armour will lower your wpf by an additional 10-20 points, making it about 80 or so effective wpf. That's not a whole lot.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 10:58:30 pm »
i went for this on my alt, lancing from horseback really doesn't need much wpf at all.

Strength   18   
Agility   18   

One Handed   101   
Two Handed   132   

Iron Flesh    2   
Power Strike 6   
Shield 4   
Athletics 6   
Riding 5   
Weapon Master 6
Turtles

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 01:44:02 am »
Does that 20-ish WPF really matter?
Imho depends. If you use heavier armor, I think it does not matter... if you use very light armor, it could be recognizeable.
Make a few tests with the Calculator Pack (http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm).
Btw... I had several chars with 0 wm (1H, pole). Without any wm (and no hybrid skilling) you would get 111 wpf at lvl 30. And that chars are very viable and playable. You need a lot of wm points to get a big difference in effective wpf. I prefer armored str chars, so for me it was more useful to get some if or one more ps.
The choosen weapon (higher base speed) or the player technique (e.g. turning into the swing) is imho more important.