Poll

Should ladders be removed from cRPG Battles?

Yes.
44 (45.4%)
No.
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Author Topic: [cRPG Battle] - Remove Ladders  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
[cRPG Battle] - Remove Ladders
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:08:08 pm »
Firstly a disclaimer This thread is not about STRATEGUS or SIEGE Please do not post about either of those, as my suggestion is not related to them in any way. So only regular cRPG battles.
------

What needs to be done to greatly improve gameplay of regular cRPG battle is REMOVE LADDERS. Right now, almost every map ends up with the same "situation" - one team's archer climb up to a rooftop where they barricade themselves in a sort of sniper nest. The other team then can not absolutely touch them with cav or inf (unless ALL enemy inf is dead first) and sometimes even then - since destroying the ladder is easy and so is easy destroying enemy ladders trying to climb up. What then happens the only thing is left is that those archers battle it out with enemy archers.

So the negative effects are:

- one team has a serious advantage, since their archers are protected while enemy archers fighting them must beware cav and inf
- each round becomes a "camp the roof" round
- those on the roof are safe from 2 of 3 types of enemy forces (all non-ranged)
- its always THE SAME no matter which map is played

All the while, ladders might be cool, neatly programed, somewhat a novelty (no longer as much as before) but they do NOT add to the game experience, they make it WEAKER.

So we should definetly ban ladders from regular battles! The point of cRPG isnt that any roof becomes a sniper nest and 100% safe from enemy melee. This prevents a wide number of other tactics. T
The advantages of removing ladders:
-  forcing a shieldwall to be made for protection of archers (steep roof is better)  - but shieldwall takes effort and has other weaknesses. -> variable tactic
- archers actualy NEEDING protection of their own infantry. right now all they have to do is cut the ladder down. Or easly kill the sole climber with 5 archers on top --> remember on open field maps how archers, if breached by enemy melee -> are squishy as they die fast. Thats GOOD.
- actually making use of other terrain features then roof. And that usually always the same roof.

Siege equipment (ladders, shields, construction sites) should in fact all be used for just that  - sieges.

I would like to continue this topic on these forums. Credits go to Ironlake for the original post.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: [cRPG Battle] - Remove Ladders
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:39:10 pm »
I really love the ladders. It turns boring, static maps into dynamic and tactically interesting maps.

I know it looks ugly and it's a bit buggy, but i can live with that. For me, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »
I really love the ladders. It turns boring, static maps into dynamic and tactically interesting maps.

And they turn bad maps even worse! Duh.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:22:32 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:21 pm »
And they turn bad maps even worse!
How so? Can you elaborate?

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 07:04:25 pm »
I love the concept of ladders, but the ladderpult aspect is really-really annoying. I think everyone can agree on that.
So, can't ladders be 'solid' only when they are deployed? The 'fixed' ladders on siege maps work like that, and that's way better for everyone. I don't know how it's coded, so if it's complicated, forget I said something, but if it's easy to change, please consider it.

Also, I don't know, but shouldn't things like this belong to the balance subforum? I may be wrong.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:14:06 pm »
Especially in siege servers, ladders make the attackers the defenders, their archers just camp the keep where the defenders can't reach them and spawnkill them

Offline Paladin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • The life is a bad game but it has a good graphic!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kein Mehr :(
  • Game nicks: Headhunter97 (PW für Paladin vergessen :D)
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »
I think, ladders are very usefull and what some persone said that every round is in the end a round of "camping archers at unreachable places" isn´t true. Since I play Crpg i see much rounds of normal fighting( and there the ladders are part of the tactic, for example the map with the tower and the water in the middle, then you can use the ladder to surprise the enemy ;-) ) and i see some rounds, where in the end one Team is camping at unreachable places, but it was funny to see, that the "sniper"(maybe on a roof) often be killed from the other team because they´re like little pigs in the water  :). Maybe it is boring for much people but i see only the fun

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:23:57 pm by Paladin »

Offline Hecur

• Knight
  • Renown: 73
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:45:31 pm »
Ladders are cool! 8)

Remove them-> Prepare to die by my hand.

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 07:58:40 pm »
Make a limit of how many ladders can be used in siege,and remove them totally in battles is my opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:19:04 pm »
+1
Agreed with the OP.

Ladders turn every roof into unreachable sniper nests. That's the main problem, and it is nearly gamebreaking on village maps. After that we can continue with :

- Horses able to go on them
- They are stopping horses (obviously the charge would simply destruct the ladder)
- They are immune to physics
- They are anti-arrow shields
- They are never used in a realistic way

You can't possibly develop a game where a specific class is immune to anything apart itself.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 08:38:47 pm »
You can't possibly develop a game where a specific class is immune to anything apart itself.

So I guess we should rename the thread remove ladders and horse archer than  ;)

Offline Kifli

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:42:15 pm »
there are better solutions like remove all laders after a roud that just elimitane them son I voted no .

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:50:22 pm »
To quote myself:

Can't you add lootable ladders in maps instead of being able to buy them?

I mean in x map there would be 4 (Or more?) ladders in location 1,2,3,4 which are lootable from everyone (I would like that ladders wouldn't be switch able when carried) this way they can't be spammed and this guarantees that every side would be able to have a ladder/s

Offline Can_of_Spam

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »
I dont know if this possible because what i know of code you could write on the back of a matchbox.
I think it would be good idea if 2 people should have carry the ladder into combat as would happen in real life.They should have a decreased speed so the rest of the team would have to work to shield them form enemy fire

Offline Can_of_Spam

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:19:22 pm »
By the way love the ad on top of this forum page (Massive sale on ladders) :lol:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:57:33 am by Can_of_Spam »