Author Topic: What We're Reading  (Read 38407 times)

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
Re: What We're Reading
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2016, 05:57:46 am »
+2
I've been reading Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East by Bernard Lewis. Very informative for anyone who would like to make any kind of sense about anything happening in the middle east. It also offers some peeks into the mindsets of the people and cultures. The most interesting point in the book was the observation how the separation of church and state, though very familiar to us in our thinking of societies, is a completely foreign concept in the Islamic world.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »
+4
I'm reading c-rpg off topic forums.
The series has definitely gone downhill but there are some good parts here and there.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:18 pm »
All Quiet on the Western Front
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2016, 05:26:00 am »
+1
halfway through Galapagos by Vonnegut

just finished The Great Hunt in the WOT series

about 1200/1500 pages into The Stand by Stephen King

just picked up Good Omens by Neil Gaiman

friend gave me The Long Halloween and Dark Victory to read, by Jeph Loeb

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2016, 05:45:30 pm »
+2
Reading some German non-fiction 'Hier ist meine Heimat'. The subject is German-Turkish litterature. It's mainly a collection of personal stories from young 'Deutsch-Türken', dealing with identity, integration and meeting of cultures. It's pretty interesting, also contains a historical overview of Turkish immigration into Germany.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:03:32 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Have read it 2 times already. This warm feeling in my chest...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2016, 09:56:52 pm »
Almost through, "Oráculo manual y arte de prudencia" by Baltasar Gracián which is a bunch of aphorisms that seem to contradict themselves at certain times and might have some questionable translations; and started "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins which deals with subjugation of nations through international finance.
And how!

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2016, 10:01:21 pm »
Reading an interesting treatise on tribalism, Keeping Together in Time by historian William H. McNeill.

Could something as simple and seemingly natural as falling into step have marked us for evolutionary success? In Keeping Together in Time one of the most widely read and respected historians in America pursues the possibility that coordinated rhythmic movement—and the shared feelings it evokes—has been a powerful force in holding human groups together. As he has done for historical phenomena as diverse as warfare, plague, and the pursuit of power, William H. McNeill brings a dazzling breadth and depth of knowledge to his study of dance and drill in human history. From the records of distant and ancient peoples to the latest findings of the life sciences, he discovers evidence that rhythmic movement has played a profound role in creating and sustaining human communities. The behavior of chimpanzees, festival village dances, the close-order drill of early modern Europe, the ecstatic dance-trances of shamans and dervishes, the goose-stepping chocolate chip cookie formations, the morning exercises of factory workers in Japan—all these and many more figure in the bold picture McNeill draws. A sense of community is the key, and shared movement, whether dance or military drill, is its mainspring. McNeill focuses on the visceral and emotional sensations such movement arouses, particularly the euphoric fellow-feeling he calls “muscular bonding.” These sensations, he suggests, endow groups with a capacity for cooperation, which in turn improves their chance of survival.

A tour de force of imagination and scholarship, Keeping Together in Time reveals the muscular, rhythmic dimension of human solidarity. Its lessons will serve us well as we contemplate the future of the human community and of our various local communities.
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674502307

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #473 on: January 24, 2018, 01:35:12 am »
I actually read Daughter of the Empire and the next two books before I read Magician. I didn't even know about Magician until years later. It gave me a completely different perspective on the "Barbarians" and the "Alien Invaders".

I dunno if David Gemmel has been mentioned but he's an awesome author too. I really like his Troy trilogy.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #474 on: January 24, 2018, 05:47:32 am »
Currently listening to The Gulag Archipelago

Other interesting things ive listened to relatively recently:
The Violinist's Thumb. Book about genetics and DNA, very entertaining and educational. Highly recommended.
Disappearing Spoon - Periodic table. Surprisingly interesting, tells the story behind the discoveries of the elements.
The Death of Expertise. Solid book about the increasing doubt in experts, and students thinking they are smarter than teachers etc  :mrgreen:
Outliers, The Story of Success. Very good book about general success stories, the backgrounds of those people. Really shows how the stars line up for some that become really successful, like Bill Gates.

Oh and i listened to the recent release of the Stormlight Archives, Oathbringer. It was aight, Brandon Sanderson is a good author but the thing that holds his books back is that there is always the threat of the end of the WORLD!!! It loses its flavour. Mistborns spinoff series Wax and Wayne (The alloy of law) is probably my favourite piece because its much more casual with a villain of the week deal. Unfortunately even it leads into the same issue with the sequels.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Lord_Carlos

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 24, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
+1
I read:

The Oathsworn Series from Robert Low.

A band of vikings looting, and Adventure stuff.

People that like vikings will like this book.

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 24, 2018, 02:35:03 pm »
+1
I read the adventures of huckleberry finn and yankee at arthus's court

also read bible from behind ;)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #477 on: January 24, 2018, 03:12:20 pm »
+2
I read scanned editions of Tex Willer.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Bob_Ross

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Church of PEPE
  • Game nicks: Pope_Thunnus_Obesus_of_PEPE Explosion_of_Tuna Sultan_Tuna_bin_Salmon
« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2018, 09:28:14 pm »
+1
Work-related (I'm a historian) but interesting nonetheless:
(click to show/hide)

I've also just started a Persian language course that's probably going to keep me occupied for quite a while. I try to spend at least some time studying the textbook every day:
(click to show/hide)
Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2018, 10:35:02 pm »

Just finished this, another Viking book losely based on real people.  The author is a Norse mythology major so it has that going for it.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut