Author Topic: Overhaul/buff one-handed axes  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
Overhaul/buff one-handed axes
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:25:21 pm »
+5
With the release of the new Executioner Sword (which is faster, longer, and deals as much damage as 1h axes while in 1h mode, and ALSO has a 2h mode) I thought I ought to make this thread again  :rolleyes:

One-handed axes Overhaul

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main points and suggestions:

(click to show/hide)

What would this accomplish?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Empire of Palagor
  • Game nicks: Doom_Carrot
Re: Overhaul/buff one-handed axes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:31:54 pm »
+2
**leans slightly left, glares at the screen through squinted eyes, slowly nods**

I agree. Right on. Currently, one handed axes are good for nothing but shield busting, and thats not a huge advantage when only 3 guys on a server have shields normally.
It was fun while it lasted.

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:02:26 am »
U wanna give shielder unbalanced weapons? Don't think there is allready engine for that cuz stuff like the morningstar is balanced when used in 1H

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:39 am »
+1
I disagree with your solution.  If the executioner sword is too powerful in one-handed mode then the answer is to nerf the one-handed mode of the executioner sword.  Buffing all one-handed axes to counter-balance one weapon just doesn't make sense.  Also you need to consider the fact that axes have the "Bonus against Shield" attribute where as the executioner sword does not.  Even so, it is, in my opinion at least, too powerful when compared in a more apples-to-apples setting to other one-handed swords.  Particularly the military cleaver which it simply dominates at the moment.  (It gets four length, one speed and a shitty but still there stab over the cleaver.)
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 12:16:24 am »
I disagree with your solution.  If the executioner sword is too powerful in one-handed mode then the answer is to nerf the one-handed mode of the executioner sword.  Buffing all one-handed axes to counter-balance one weapon just doesn't make sense.  Also you need to consider the fact that axes have the "Bonus against Shield" attribute where as the executioner sword does not.  Even so, it is, in my opinion at least, too powerful when compared in a more apples-to-apples setting to other one-handed swords.  Particularly the military cleaver which it simply dominates at the moment.  (It gets four length, one speed and a shitty but still there stab over the cleaver.)

This isn't in response to the executioner sword directly, I've always felt that the one handed axes are underpowered, the executioner sword just further exemplifies that. Also worth noting how petty the "bonus versus shields" ability really is since breaking a shield has a very minimal influence on actual combat between two skilled players. One handers are faster without a shield and a skilled player does not need a shield to block.

edit: evidently one-handers are not faster without a shield
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:30:15 am by Palurgee »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:01 am »
+1
One handers are faster without a shield

No
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:00:17 am »
+3
Arguably 1handers can feint faster without a shield though, if someone is using one of the slower shields, right? If true, this would lend to their "speediness without a shield" imo.

As for the OP's suggestion, I for one think adding the unbalanced tag to 1handers is something that is long overdue. It is a pretty fun mechanic for adding diversity to the weapon selection. However I wouldn't necessarily agree with buffing their speed insanely and lowering their cut damage... then they go from "slow/strong shield breakers" to "unbalanced 3-directional swords that are good against shields." Instead I would just buff their damage and maybe tweak the speed a little bit accordingly. Maybe make some unbalanced/faster and make some unbalanced/stronger so that there is some variety among them instead of them all being slow or all being fast. The low-tier axes could be the faster shield breakers while the expensive ones with huge heads could be the slower ones that pack a punch. The same could be done to some maces, imo. Make some like the outclassed iberian unbalanced but stronger compared to the balanced spathovaklion (and please ffs remove that thing's stab).

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:07 am »
Arguably 1handers can feint faster without a shield though, if someone is using one of the slower shields, right?

Well, not faster per se, but you have no delay when falling back to the block in the middle of your feints. The visuals of all shields being raised has the same speed, and the feinting works similarly to that without a shield. The feints are however easier to read which makes people assume that feints without one are faster.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Kenda

• Baron
  • Renown: 115
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 01:35:29 pm »
Maybe the suggestion is not the most solid, pretty decent but if someone wanted to play 1h axe without shield it would be really hard being unbalanced, fast unbalanced weapons really doesnt make sense either. Making weapons more diverse would be a great thing though, maybe some can be unbalanced aswell as adding other unique features, overhead only maybe?  :twisted:
Trollers hear me, i rek you all motherfuckers in real life. You think you can troll me like this behind your screen foking nerd asses? I m gonna find you and ban your ass myseld.

I m watching you

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 04:54:40 pm »
Can someone please explain what unbalanced even does? I have never really noticed a difference with weapons with this tag, besides they are usually very slow.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:03:24 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain what unbalanced even does? I have never really noticed a difference with weapons with this tag, besides they are usually very slow.

Unbalanced means that you have less of a window to stop an attack, and it takes longer to recover from a swing. This means feinting is more difficult and missing a swing is about as bad as being temporarily stunned.

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 08:29:17 pm »
Unbalanced means that you have less of a window to stop an attack, and it takes longer to recover from a swing. This means feinting is more difficult and missing a swing is about as bad as being temporarily stunned.

Wait do you mean less of a window to chamber? How can you have less time to block?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:40:30 pm »
+1
Wait do you mean less of a window to chamber? How can you have less time to block?

No, the chambering window is the same, and he didn't really say it could take longer to block, but as he did mention, if you miss a swing you minds well be stunned. Basically, with an unbalanced weapon, you almost always have to complete the entire swing animation before you can do anything else, since cancelling the swing (and especially feinting) is nearly impossible most of the time. With any balanced weapon you can feint with ease and cancel the swing at any point, really, depending on your wpf with that weapon type. It is almost guaranteed that you can cancel the swing in the first half or so of the swinging animation, but after that can be tricky. With an unbalanced weapon you'd be lucky to cancel it within the first tenth of the animation.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 09:48:11 pm »
No, the chambering window is the same, and he didn't really say it could take longer to block, but as he did mention, if you miss a swing you minds well be stunned. Basically, with an unbalanced weapon, you almost always have to complete the entire swing animation before you can do anything else, since cancelling the swing (and especially feinting) is nearly impossible most of the time. With any balanced weapon you can feint with ease and cancel the swing at any point, really, depending on your wpf with that weapon type. It is almost guaranteed that you can cancel the swing in the first half or so of the swinging animation, but after that can be tricky. With an unbalanced weapon you'd be lucky to cancel it within the first tenth of the animation.

Oh so basically you just cannot cancel an attack.

Offline McKli_PL

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: South_the_grey, HeDdar_the_grey, Wazonowej_the_grey
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 11:08:02 pm »
You can cancel in early or mid animation not in late animation, feints are bit different on those weps and they'r much better to abuse if ur know how it works, u can brake whole animation (like on GLB) with cancel and hit very,very strange bugged swing.