Author Topic: C-Rpg Classic  (Read 14964 times)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: C-Rpg Classic
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2014, 02:14:18 pm »
The devs sorta tried this. Last Christmas, I think. Or the Christmas before that?

Whenever it was, they let players dick around with something like the original weapons and XP system of the mod for a few weeks. It was retarded and we all quickly remembered why things changed the way they did.

No. It wasnt well populated because the devs ''marketed'' the Xmas mode weird and most ones thought it would only last for Christmas and thus a waste of time.

And ofc we had the ones who grinded quickly to get bows and rape the serv but that's another issue.

Oh and tons of NA dudes wanted to play iirc but the ping difference  (EU serv ) really discouraged them.

Regardless even if it was brought back i believe for most ones who wanted it back (moi included) that ship has sailed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2744
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:27 pm »
Whole point of that event was to show us that we are wrong.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »
+2
The "xmas cRPG" was the full-retard cRPG, though. I think it was shit, and again, think early 2011 cRPG was the best version of cRPG ever.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2014, 03:25:13 pm »
+2
Not dead at all. The mod is not even bad, I'd go as far as to say that mercenaries has better balance than cRPG simply by sticking more to native stats. I wish they'd implement upkeep though, it's kinda annoying having lots of people running around in full plate with no consequences. Maybe if they'd implement how armor is weaker, as in cRPG it'd be better too.
Really? Now I respect and agree with the opinion that Native has better balance from a competitive play standpoint. But when comparing the pub gameplay of Mercenaries with cRPG pub gameplay, the balance is absolutely terrible in Mercenaries. You can take one look at any weapon class item list and spot severe inconsistencies, which is a lot harder in cRPG.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:20 pm »
+1
Perhaps you're right but what does "spotting severe inconsistencies" mean when as in cRPG there's only 1-4 weapons for each class legitimately used if you want the best advantage, lol. At least I can play cavalry in mercenaries without crying about how terribly balanced it is so maybe I'm biased in that standpoint :lol:
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49:46 pm »
+1
I find that the amount of viable weapons is very high in cRPG and I can pick nearly any weapon aside from the peasant ones and my performance won't differ much from any other weapon. I have played a large variety of classes over the years in cRPG and a lot of builds all over the spectrum and somehow I always end up with a K/D in the same range. Last time I played Mercenaries there were a few weapons and classes that stood out head and shoulders above others, both stats wise and actual performance wise.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2014, 04:26:08 pm »
+4
I've been playing "Napoleonic wars".  There are a lot of players, and the costumes are hilarious.  Also, most people suck at melee so I'm all of a sudden awesome.  I love it.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2014, 04:34:24 pm »
+1
I've been playing "Napoleonic wars".  There are a lot of players, and the costumes are hilarious.  Also, most people suck at melee so I'm all of a sudden awesome.  I love it.

And theres awesome musicians classes, TNT and you can build cool stuff. And ship battles

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2014, 04:45:55 pm »
I find that the amount of viable weapons is very high in cRPG and I can pick nearly any weapon aside from the peasant ones and my performance won't differ much from any other weapon. I have played a large variety of classes over the years in cRPG and a lot of builds all over the spectrum and somehow I always end up with a K/D in the same range. Last time I played Mercenaries there were a few weapons and classes that stood out head and shoulders above others, both stats wise and actual performance wise.

Does seem that mercenaries follow the rule of more expensive = better, generally. cRPG somewhat follows that but most of the top 20 weapons are all okay, but they're standing out there too, depending on different playstyle. Heavy bastard sword/longsword, Miaodao/dadao, goedendag and mallet are the only 2h viable to me. But sure, I bet I'd be able to follow the same K/D no matter what weapon, but I don't think that's a good incentive on what a good weapon is. It's always top tier, or the e-sport scene that decides how balance should be made but as long as everything is balanced evenly or has pretty much the same stats it's kinda irrelevant. Mercenaries I'd say follow the same lead for me, I picked 2h as an example but it'd work the same for 1h (arabian, nordic war, scimi, military hammer or most balanced axe in terms of speed & damage)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2014, 05:06:55 pm »
+2
I'd at least hope there are a variety of good items to use instead of a top 3 or something like that.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2014, 05:41:39 pm »
I'd at least hope there are a variety of good items to use instead of a top 3 or something like that.

Yeah don't get me wrong I really like that and especially important they don't really bring any significant disadvantage because they're only different by just a small amount of damage or speed. It's in line with what's cRPG's biggest selling point, unique builds. Those weapons I pointed out were simply the strongest from my perspective, while others may think that there are better choices.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2014, 05:44:53 pm »
+4
Heavy bastard sword/longsword, Miaodao/dadao, goedendag and mallet are the only 2h viable to me
1h (arabian, nordic war, scimi, military hammer or most balanced axe in terms of speed & damage)

That comes mostly down to your playstyle and not a inherent imbalance between the weapons. For me the longer weapons, like Greatswords and Great Bardiche work much better nowadays than my old trusty HBS. 1H again depends a lot on your playstyle and the opponents armor levels. For EU1/2 there are lots of good options from slow cleavers to fast liuyedao and longer ones like ACS/NCS. For heavier armors you have the steel pick, warhammer, spathovaklion and so on. Against shielders you want an axe. I think the weapons are really well balanced right now in cRPG and I doubt anyone quit because a certain weapon they want to use is not strong enough...

Classes however are strangely balanced atm. For example archery is just totally fucked up right now when there's exactly two builds you should go for and if you go any other route you've gimped your ranged abilities. Personally the biggest problem for me is the formerly anti-cav class of throwing made totally ineffective against cavalry, but quite strong against infantry (especially with low player numbers). This I'm sure in part lead to the nerfing of heavy cavalry which nowadays is made of paper.

There are some other oddities but for a player that has played this mod for almost three years now it seems the balance is better than it ever was. Why are we losing players then? I think there's a couple of reasons. First being the repetitive gameplay on EU1/EU2 where the map dictates how the game is going to play out. More freedom for tactics and better implemented conquest mode would make everything much less predictable. Secondly we reached the tipping point as some have already mentioned; Lots of people enjoy the massive battle feeling we used to get a year or two ago and now that it rarely happens people quit more easily when they aren't doing well which leads to the population getting even lower which just makes the problem worse.

To stay alive for a while longer I really think we need some specialty events. It could be just that we decide to join the servers at a specific time or it could be themed nights every two weeks or so where the devs (or someone trusted by them) would basically force people to play with certain gear. I know a lot of people might object to that, but I'd find it a lot of fun to roleplay a faction with crpg balance every now and then.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1667
  • Infamy: 1888
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2014, 05:55:37 pm »
+2
Long weapons works better because of high average agility and athletics skill and of course, higher average wpf. If you have enough agility and wpf, even the slowest weapon becomes fast enough.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:11 pm »
Long weapons have always been the best because not only do they have range but usually they have the highest damage on top of that. Speed only does so much, someone who can block will probably block no matter the speeds, hold attacks are the sneaky ones that go past guards and they can be done with slow weapons aswell as fast ones.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2014, 06:36:55 pm »
+1
That comes mostly down to your playstyle and not a inherent imbalance between the weapons. For me the longer weapons, like Greatswords and Great Bardiche work much better nowadays than my old trusty HBS. 1H again depends a lot on your playstyle and the opponents armor levels. For EU1/2 there are lots of good options from slow cleavers to fast liuyedao and longer ones like ACS/NCS. For heavier armors you have the steel pick, warhammer, spathovaklion and so on. Against shielders you want an axe. I think the weapons are really well balanced right now in cRPG and I doubt anyone quit because a certain weapon they want to use is not strong enough...

I'm not entirely sure what's the best as 2h after the level change but I'm sure it'll still be more or less the same, the great bardiche is too slow to be a good choice and it doesn't really bring more damage than the miaodao.

You don't need to counter shields with weapons because blocking in the first place shouldn't be the reason you died. Why do you need to break the shield? Why not simply outplay them, if they turtle behind their shield for a minute they're not even playing the game but rather being useless and they're making you useless. Shield is only bought for focusing on combat deeper by ignoring manual blocking, blocking arrows + panic blocks in emergency. That's why shields are better with better players, but still amazing for the newer ones. Either way, shield has never been a problem.

The steel pick, warhammer and spathovaklion doesn't provide more damage towards armor than a high damage cut weapon does, it's more inefficient and it's too short to use when you have massive kick range and majority of players using polearm/2h. The NCS is alright but there's no point using that rather than nordic war sword if you want speed, or ACS if you want reach.

While I agree that it comes down to my opinion it's also all the factors of gameplay taken in mind, as you already have "found flaws" in my ideas of the best weapons we can criticize it forever but I still don't see why you'd choose any other weapon than those I listed.

Speed only does so much, someone who can block will probably block no matter the speeds

Speed is underrated, it catches people off guard when they're slightly hesitant or you abuse your armor and positioning to make the opponent glance. With a fast weapon such as heavy bastard sword it forces the opponent to always play fully focusing or they'll die quickly.

EDIT: I just launched cRPG for a few rounds, two people are on EU1. Guys? Mod is flourishing right g-guys?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:45:11 pm by Shemaforash »