Author Topic: Historical Katana Fact  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Andy

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Snow_King
Historical Katana Fact
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:19:31 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Historical Katana Fact
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:45 am »
Sounds like doing that would be a great way to get killed. Incredibly short ranged attack, (as the point will always be close to your body while unsheathing) coupled with no power behind the swing as you can't put your back and hips into the swing. I'd honestly rather have my sword out and kill the other guy who's trying to unsheath his sword and swing at me at the same time.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:32:02 am »
+2
Make it cut through walls.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:58:42 am »
+1

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:22 am »
+25
Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, katana has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows: Pocket-protected scientists built a wall of diamond and crashed a katana car into it at 400 miles per hour, and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of katana and crashed a car made of diamond moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall, and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a katana car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall, and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a katana traveling at diamond car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall of metal into a 400 mile per hour made of katana, and the resulting explosion shifted the earth's orbit 400 million miles away from the sun, saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles per hour.

Shamlessly stolen from TS chat.

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:18:18 am »
Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, katana has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows: Pocket-...

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:34:31 am »
1. Too much hassle to do.
2. Little to no point
3. If there is a point, then it might be fairly overpowered.
4. Any sword that's fairly short should have the same ability. Not sure about the katana specifically, but I can see short swords, daggers and similar weapons having the same attribute.
5. If a realism suggestion ---> realism board. If actual suggestion you want to add ---> suggestions sub-forum.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:48:05 am by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:36:51 am »
Katana can have this if it shatters on European steel.

Realism is not good for Katana.

PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Cyber

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyber
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 10:40:28 am »

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
+2
The god damn katana was made as a slashing weapon as opposed to the European swords. If anything, it's damage should be nerfed, since it's such a "skill heavy" weapon. As such, it should require tremendous amounts of skill to use in order to score kills with it. Yes, katanas were meant to be  used on draw as a weapon right out of the sheath, but in that case, I think that if you get hit by a longsword, you should use 90% of your wpf due to broken arm.

Also, Japanese warfare was waged with polearms, not katanas.

So shut the fuck up with "buff katana" threads.

source: Japan here.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:28:25 pm by Dexxtaa »

Offline Chivers_United

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: F**k It Dude, Let's Go Bowling
  • Game nicks: Brontosaurus_FIDLGB
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:27:19 pm »
+2
Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, katana has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows: Pocket-protected scientists built a wall of diamond and crashed a katana car into it at 400 miles per hour, and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of katana and crashed a car made of diamond moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall, and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a katana car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall, and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a katana traveling at diamond car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall of metal into a 400 mile per hour made of katana, and the resulting explosion shifted the earth's orbit 400 million miles away from the sun, saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles per hour.

Shamlessly stolen from TS chat.

Probably one of the greatest speeches I've ever heard in TS. was beautiful and well said.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »
+3
My friend has a real life katana he got from BudK once.  One time we were messing around with it and he tried to do what you said.  He tried to draw it out of its scabbard and slash with at at the same time.  Only when he slashed, the blade disconnected from the handle (real katanas are supposed to do this that's how I know its real) and the blade came flying around and cut my chin off.  Then it went out the window and spun around really really fast until it cut his entire back yard in half.  It was perfectly in half, and I know this because later on we measured the two halves and they were EXACTLY the same.  Then it returned to the handle and went back into the scabbard.  Then my chin stopped being cut off and I fell down the stairs.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:33:42 pm by Garison »

Offline Lange

• Baron
  • Renown: 128
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 08:31:59 pm »
The katana and it's scabbard were historicly designed so that it could be unsheathed and swung in a single movement, contrary to European swords that had to be fully drawn from their scabbard before they could be used. I hereby suggest that you greatly reduce the time cooldown between drawing the katana/nodachi and slashing with it. I admit right here that I don't know exactly how that would be programmed in, but I have faith that the devs would be able to find a way.

Just balance it by nerfing the slash damage.  :mrgreen:

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:56:32 pm »
+8
Actually we have plans for nerfing katana damage vs armor once we get ot make damage types more interesting. At the moment we are stuck with cut, pierce and blunt, so the katana shares its damage types wirth other swords. I'd like to differentiate the drawn cut of curved swords from the hewn cut of straight swords or even axes. The first should be pretty bad against metal armor while still being strong again leather or cloth protection. The latter should stay somewhat effective even against maille.

Anyway personally I think katana damage is a bit too high now. Used to be 35c but Thomek lobbied Fasader into submission. Word is on the street that he got bribed with a cabbage. I don't judge him for that. If it's boot soup for you seven days the week, you haven't said no either.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 11:26:25 pm »
+4
Actually we have plans for nerfing katana damage vs armor once we get ot make damage types more interesting. At the moment we are stuck with cut, pierce and blunt, so the katana shares its damage types wirth other swords. I'd like to differentiate the drawn cut of curved swords from the hewn cut of straight swords or even axes. The first should be pretty bad against metal armor while still being strong again leather or cloth protection. The latter should stay somewhat effective even against maille.

Anyway personally I think katana damage is a bit too high now. Used to be 35c but Thomek lobbied Fasader into submission. Word is on the street that he got bribed with a cabbage. I don't judge him for that. If it's boot soup for you seven days the week, you haven't said no either.

Well, to be honest, a katana would be just as effective against mail armor as a longsword if they are both being swung.  Because of the curved blade, it may even be more so.  They weigh about the same, and the curved edge means more force-per-area in a strike.

The longsword is more effective against armor as a whole because of the thrust, which is already represented in game.  Also, it has more defensive capabilities than a katana does, but this is not represented.  A weapon like a Great Sword would be more effective because of the weight, and this is already represented in game by having more damage.

I hope you guys are careful with the damage update changes!  It sounds like a pretty cool idea though. :)