Author Topic: Shield speed  (Read 718 times)

Offline Wizard_of_chaos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Shield speed
« on: March 09, 2012, 08:49:56 pm »
Does the shield's speed makes you take the shield from your back faster or does it only makes that when you block, it blocks faster when you already have it in you hands? (or both?) What does the speed of the shield changes?

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
Re: Shield speed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
There is a lot of debate about what it actually does, for the most part people think its the time it takes for the shield to be active when blocking, or drop when performing a swing.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:03:21 pm »
+2
yeah unless it's changed I believe these are the main things you should know about shield skill:

1: The higher the shield skill the less delay there is from the time you hit right click to the time you can block
2: Once you reach 100 shield speed it is effectively the same as manual blocking.  AFAIK there is no benefit from having 100+ shield speed
3: Shield speed has no impact on swing speed/in fact you attack just as fast with or without a shield.  Animations look different with/without a shield but that's about it.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1142
  • Infamy: 517
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:56:44 pm »
I haven't played as one on my main for more than a year but... it only gives you speed boost (actually removes speed malus and makes it just like manual blocking, as MrShine said) when you're raising your shield to block incoming strike. Putting it down isn't affected AFAIK. Nor is putting it on your back or equipping it.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:00:40 pm »
2: Once you reach 100 shield speed it is effectively the same as manual blocking.  AFAIK there is no benefit from having 100+ shield speed
So... why are there shields that have over 100 speed by default?

Is there some way to lose shield speed, like having too much equipment?
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »
yeah unless it's changed I believe these are the main things you should know about shield skill:

1: The higher the shield skill the less delay there is from the time you hit right click to the time you can block
3: Shield speed has no impact on swing speed/in fact you attack just as fast with or without a shield.  Animations look different with/without a shield but that's about it.

I think that is all correct, but I'm pretty sure polearms swing slower with a shield equipped than if you had two hands on the polearm.  But you get more thrust reach with a shield than if you were using 2 hands on the polearm (you don't get any reach added due to animation).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 01:12:58 am »
So... why are there shields that have over 100 speed by default?

Is there some way to lose shield speed, like having too much equipment?

Huh, didn't think there was one, but I see steel shield has 103.  No clue then... well I still think that's what it does, but I'm not sure if having 100+ speed gives any benefit then.

I think that is all correct, but I'm pretty sure polearms swing slower with a shield equipped than if you had two hands on the polearm.  But you get more thrust reach with a shield than if you were using 2 hands on the polearm (you don't get any reach added due to animation).

Technically I think that's the modifier for using a polearm/2h as a 1h, not that the shield itself is slowing things down.  For example 1 handers have no difference in speed when used alongside a shield.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:24:46 am »
I think shield speed is roughly equivalent to weapon speed in terms of blocking (mostly guessing though).

I don't know about others, but I do notice a tiny difference when blocking with a 103/104 speed weapon like the short falchion compared to even a 100 speed weapon, so I would guess it would still be faster for >100 speed shield.. Although 100 is plenty fast enough.