Author Topic: Hack abooze  (Read 81673 times)

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
Re: Hack abooze
« Reply #255 on: May 25, 2011, 06:07:57 pm »
I am not exactly sure how some people can claim that cheaters are not protected like this anywhere else.
In most games they are just silently banned and you never see them again.
Same happened here.
What i learned from it: Never talk about existing lists again and there won't be any problems...

Aww Meow, that's a horrible thing to write, transparency is always best otherwise what is left is basically fascism.
However of course it is always up to the developers of a specific game which direction they wish to take. Sadly it seems transparency is not supported here :( Fair enough though - of course.

Anyway, in terms of "protecting cheaters" - You are, look at other games of the same caliber as CRPG, they do not protect cheaters by keeping them a secret. Yes Blizzard does with World of Warcraft but you can draw absolutely zero distinction from WoW to CRPG in terms of cheating, not to mention that Blizzard in fact does not ban all cheaters, this is a fact undisputed, and even so when someone is banned in WoW it will be noticed due to several facts that also pertain in other games:
  • Subscriptions
  • IDs (for example Steam IDs)
  • Friend lists
Warband is a 5€ game, CRPG is free. The only punishment for a cheater would be buying a new game and trying to cheat again with something else.
If you study computer games and anti cheat protection you will notice that games which ONLY silently disposes of cheaters will suffer greatly, because cheat developers and cheaters will see it as a free pass to wreck havoc.

We need something more to protect the community from cheaters than a simple ban.

Why is it so important to protect these scum anyway? Did someone we can't know about get banned?

There is nothing which can get people (and my self included) riled up more than cheaters :evil: and in my opinion you should trust your community here.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #256 on: May 25, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »
Fros7bite came here, proclaimed his innocence, chadz checked it out and now everything is peachy.

I really should work on my sarcasm..

Edit: also, the longer this thread goes on, the more info is released, and by that you reinforce the cheat developers.

Even me saying that does it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:16:37 pm by chadz »

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2011, 06:17:20 pm »
Whether you checked it out or not isn't the actual point here, if you didn't then shame on you really :wink:.

The fact that no one tried to LYNCH Fros7bite, is the POINT here.

You all stated that we'd start a witch hunt, a mob, a posse to hunt these people down, and yet someone is here proclaiming not to have cheated due to whatever and no one started anything aggressive.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19:48 pm »

Sarcasm seldom translates into written words.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »
Next to the fact that published nicknames don't contain any clues about (anti-) hacking tools. Except of the basic information which hack was detected, but you can be sure at least one of the banned players will contact the hack developer to complain, so they will get to know anyway.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »
If you're worried about cheat developers gaining any knowledge to hack the game via this thread then release the character names and most will never dare to use those hacks, only people who truly don't care and they don't matter anyway. Doing NOTHING (and banning them only = nothing) as now is what will have them persist, if people are called out they'll think twice about using the hack since it'd have repercussions for them, as it is now you eat one less pizza a month and you're saved basically, just buy a new key and add another letter to your nickname ("Oh guys I rerolled a new class, hated the old one"). Not like generations matter in Strategus anyway...

Exposing cheaters is the only way to fight them, leaving your trust solely in detection is seldom the right answer.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2011, 06:27:58 pm »
in fact this thread being open in the first place wasn't necessary.

Pretty much.

Even if communication between dev and players is always welcome.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2011, 06:30:19 pm »
The reason of this announcement was to stop the witchhunt that has been going on before.

Good players were accused of cheating, and this was hurting the community.

The point is, we take care of it. You don't have to worry about cheats, we do. We always have, we always will.

Also, the fascism theory is silly. It would be fascism if we'd ban cheaters, their forum acc and take them any way of bringing this to the public.

Every affected person is free to discuss his case in public. Full transparency.

Pretty much.

Even if communication between dev and players is always welcome.
Freedom of speech. Another thing I like.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »
If you're worried about cheat developers gaining any knowledge to hack the game via this thread then release the character names and most will never dare to use those hacks, only people who truly don't care and they don't matter anyway.
I think that part was also a joke.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2011, 06:40:32 pm »
I think that part was also a joke.

You "think" - well think away. I know. I've worked for over a decade in the gaming industry.

The joystick issue is actually a valid concern in other games, especially in terms of cheat detection.

Edit:

Anyway to close things up on my end;
  • Faction leaders can contact officials
  • Cheaters will not be exposed
End of story, as long as #1 will continue to be applicable then all is well as I wrote in my original post. The rest of my postings are simply to battle the reasoning of not releasing the list.

Death to cheaters :mad:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:44:09 pm by Nessaj »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2011, 06:47:46 pm »
I sense this thread approaching tne Lock status. We are going in circles and have been for some time now.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2011, 06:48:59 pm »
wtf??? i was tried to logging in and it was saying my character did net exist and kicked me((

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »
I'll tell you a short story.

Yo know the code of Hammurabi? It's considered one of  the firsts full legal text found in history (in tablets). It introduced (amongst many other things) one simple concept, it is the "Eye for an eye".

By today standards, "eye for an eye" is a barbaric idea. In fact it could be. It stated, for example, that someone who robbed something (p.e. grain and food to eat) must have his hands cut. But the thing is that the code of Hammurabi is revolutionary itself and indeed a really good legal test if we take circumstances ant timebeing into account. Why? Before it existed, the legimate owner of the grain could punish the robber in the way he wanted , which often ended in public judgement and public death. The code just established what they considered -at that time- fair punishement for concrete faults.

So the question is: are we punishing cheaters hard enough??? I mean, they're banned for life with their account (we cut their hands). Do we want them to have the "cheater flag" forever because they made an error (some of them probably just "tested" the cheat")? Do we want to KILL them, like it was done before the Code oF Hammurabi existed (and that was around 1700 a.C)

I don't support cheaters, in fact i haven´t tried a single one in my life (gaming since the beggining of the 90's), but I'd say cheaters have had their punishement. Some of them will buy another key and will continue playing. In my opinion, most of them won't cheat anymore (at least in this game), some of them are just assholes and will go on (and they will eventually get caught again). But to the first group, those who made an error and just want to go on playing without cheating and have taken responsibility on their actions (they paid with the ban), if would be really unfair to have that "Cheater Flag" forever in our little community.

This said, please dev's retain their ip's. If they ban for a second time, I would agree to make them public and thus receive hard mob punishement.

But please, do we want to be harder than "pre 1700 a.C" citizens?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2011, 07:26:09 pm »
I think most players like the American approach: roast the criminal on the electric chair(best with "forgetting" to wet the sponge) while the relatives of the victim watch. Too bad the majority of the cRPG devs are EU though.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2011, 07:31:16 pm »
I think most players like the American approach: roast the criminal on the electric chair(best with "forgetting" to wet the sponge) while the relatives of the victim watch. Too bad the majority of the cRPG devs are EU though.

That is not the American approach, that is southern nonsense. Thank you for the stereotype.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.