Author Topic: the 4th heirloom?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Homey_D_Clown

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: the 4th heirloom?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 06:09:31 pm »
i think retiring at level 34 already give you enough of a bonus by being 3 levels higher than most for months. If you want to heirloom an item retire at 31, If theres a +4 it should be at 31 also.

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 06:10:56 pm »
Still I think the idea would be awful.

It would encourage players to farm for superior characters, increasing the amount of high level characters on the servers, making it more difficult than neccessary for new players or newly created/retired characters, and the +4 items would surely exceed the threshold between "useful bonus stats to support a player in his build" and "bonus stats to make a build noticeably more powerful".

So I am against it.

Better add special items with good, but not superior stats, that look cool and unique. Reward power gamers with eye candy, instead of even more power than they have anyway due to their training and their equipment.  :?

Normally I agree with your posts, but your reasoning is 100% against the way cRPG works.  Peasants die.  Sure, particularly good or lucky players can pull off some kills pre-level 10, but for the most part you run in, block a few times, maybe stab a guy, and get one-shotted.  The knee-jerk reaction of "NO THIS IS TERRIBLE & AWFUL! NEVER! THINK OF THE CASUALS!" doesn't fit with the game. cRPG has never been one to coddle players who can't or won't put in a fairly large time investment, both in learning the game and earning gear.

However, should a fourth heirloom level be added, I do agree with the latter part of your post.  I feel like +1 speed/weight, +1 damage would be the absolute maximum without breaking balance.  It would be nice if the +3 versions (perhaps edited to fit the graphical style of cRPG a bit better) from Final_Boss's heirloom pack could be used for the +4 models.

Of course renaming weapons would be amazing, but wouldn't be particularly easy to implement.

i think retiring at level 34 already give you enough of a bonus by being 3 levels higher than most for months. If you want to heirloom an item retire at 31, If theres a +4 it should be at 31 also.

That is quite possibly the worst reasoning I have ever heard.  Why not just stay at 34 then?
boop

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 06:13:03 pm »
I have a better idea remove heirlooms completely an reset gold and remove the market place.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 06:17:45 pm »
cRPG has never been one to coddle players who can't or won't put in a fairly large time investment, both in learning the game and earning gear.

You are right on the part how the game is, but I ask myself if it is supposed to be that way. In my eyes casuals are an important part of cRPG, and adding more powerful items that can be obtained by excessive farming moves the game closer to World of Warcraft (where there is no chance that a lvl 20 character can beat a lvl 40 character for example) instead of a skill based game where your equipment and character stats only serve to support your build and your skills. But only a dev can answer whether it is okay that we make so strong items and character that more than only the "most maxed out character vs. peasant" - encounters end up as an auto-win for the high level character, regardless of the skills of the players.

Adding +4 items definitely won't make you auto-win anything, but you move closer to it.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »
+1
Casual players certainly are important, but if everyone was supposed to be on an even playing field, there wouldn't be a leveling system, there wouldn't be heirlooms, and all of a sudden we'd be playing an expanded version of Native.

You're right, though, only chadz or cmp can really answer the question.  After all, they did take out WPF carryover from retiring.
boop

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 06:33:12 pm »
It will always be a question of personal judgement. There is no point where you can say: this is the optimum. Of course leveling up and becoming stronger is an important part of the game. If you would only have "skip the fun" characters who start with 200.000 gold you would basically only remove the time between starting a character and reaching the maximum level, but still it would be less fun, because the game would be reduced on making the best build for you and then maximizing your skills. But all the small motivation of getting another level and buying better stuff, that kind of gives a regular "push" to motivation and keeps the game "rolling" would be missing.

This shows how you always have to find a middle way between "skill based" and "RPG". My personal impression is, that a 4th heirloom level would move the game too much towards the "RPG" part, and if this is combined with superior skills you would have single players dominating too much, because in my eyes "teamplay" should be the third pillar of success in cRPG. (Which means you should ALWAYS have to rely on teammates to win a match. I don't like the idea of single players killing 25 enemies per round single handedly, which would make him win almost always).

Indeed my preference is "teamplay > skill > character build" for impact on your gameplay. And yes, I know, many players disagree to this, especially to teamplay being on first place. But as I said: it's a question of personal preference.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 06:36:19 pm »
Please no 4th heirloom level; module should be less World of Warband - not more.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 06:38:01 pm »
I have a better idea remove heirlooms completely an reset gold and remove the market place.

I think it's time you play Native again and witness how dull it is :lol:

I like the idea of cosmetic/honorary changes for 4th heirloom weapons. A cool addition could be named equipment. Nothing is as awesome as using a weapon named after you, or dropping it when you die. No need for massive stat bonuses. We need character/equipment evolution, or the game becomes boring no matter how good it is.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:39:14 pm by Kafein »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2159
  • Infamy: 2685
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 06:46:54 pm »
Reasons why native is dull are:

- crappy community
- you have to equip new gear after every round

Merc mod is quite good, only problem I have with it is low server population. I like to play huge battles, if Merc mod had the same community c-rpg had and big population servers I wouldn't play c-rpg at all.

Also native has bad balance, ugly native items and so on...

I don't like c-rpg grind although I'm one of "hardcore" players (I play alot). Had full loomed set before most people, played with it for 4 months, now I use normal gear (everything is worth 3k gold) and I'm stilling having great fun. Only difference I noticed is that HAs like me more than before and that horsebumps hurt like a bitch.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 06:51:24 pm »
Only difference I noticed is that HAs like me more than before and that horsebumps hurt like a bitch.

that HA like you more is not because of your gear, just to make it clear ;)

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 08:16:47 pm »
I would be in favor if only one person was allowed to be heirloom a single item, meaning you wouldn't be able to find the same named weapons on any crpg server.  There are around 250 items (that are droppable) that can be named (this includes shields, arrows, throwing, etc) This would make it all the more special when you pick up something like "Xol's Practice Longsword of Doom" from the battlefield.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:17 am »
I would be in favor if only one person was allowed to be heirloom a single item, meaning you wouldn't be able to find the same named weapons on any crpg server.  There are around 250 items (that are droppable) that can be named (this includes shields, arrows, throwing, etc) This would make it all the more special when you pick up something like "Xol's Practice Longsword of Doom" from the battlefield.

im all for a fourth loom at 34 ( it takes fucking forever to be 34, im still 33 after months  ) with a tag on it that cant let you sell it on the marketplace , give some minor bonuses like 1 dmg +1 speed  and having the loom with your name would be badass !

1 dmg 1 speed is not game breaking  anyway  and personalized items would be great  :D

People would gang you up and steal your family noble heritage! :D