Author Topic: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG  (Read 15557 times)

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2011, 05:58:36 pm »
(click to show/hide)

THIS!!!  Since everyone is starting as peasant - which means a lot less gold/xp per kill it will be months before you see the OPness.  I was playing for 4 months a crazy amount with crazy startegus xp (which wont be around this time around) to get my character the way it was and that was after joining 2 months into that version of cRPG where people had already been leveling up for a while.  This will be fricken awesome and you know what - maybe it will need a reset once every 4-5 months, and all the OPness will be fixed.  I am soooo looking forward to this with my peasant short bow again and high speed blocking in battles.  I think we may mae the Tunatown server into this as well if chadz makes the changes.  Thank you thank you thank you chadz for a greta christmas present!!!!

lol, i played old version for 2-3 moths and there was no skill (in terms of dueling technics), few people know how to block and other few feint sometimes, all was about armor - strong crutching (most effective in clusterfucks - so in every battle) or wpf stacking.
It was fun for sure, as new player i didnt realise how op are some weapons or builds, it was nice to follow mob try to survive (or kill hordes of noob tincans) and watched xp and gold grow in realtime. Also there was no rage because there were no conditions for competitive gameplay. And for teamwork - safe approach to enemy mob(shieldwall) and  camp xp-barn ... I like flanking possibility now.

I loved it and sometimes missing it(real relaxed gameplay + grind - thats why i and many other play nord invasion now ), but crpg is a LOT better, today.   

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2011, 06:27:54 pm »
+1
Ya I hate not earning gold and xp due to a crappy team even when I am doing quite well.
Just a soldier

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »
Ya I hate not earning gold and xp due to a crappy team even when I am doing quite well.
And that was different in the old version? You only got the xp and gold accumulated on the right if your team won IIRC. That made it even more important to win back then, than it does now.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2011, 06:48:43 pm »
personal rewards for kills is a horrible idea.
Only in team modes (battle, siege). If there was a pure deathmatch mode xp for kills could (and should) be how you get xp.

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2011, 06:52:28 pm »
Yeah, sadly. The multiplier, IMO we tested this for long enough now, it sucks, lets get rid of it.

The only thing the multiplier does is make people play when they don't want to play. If you got X5 you feel you gotta stay, got X1 might as well quit then. If Gold/XP = Kills, people might even not rage that much over auto team balance since they can still rack up proper XP (valour is OK but its not good enough imo).

I'm sure that it might even get people to start working together again on Battle servers, been many months since I've seen everyone work properly together like old times in-game
This x1000

mutli system is absolute shit !  im most of the time at 4 for 1 KD in siege and i always play 1x 2x    to get a measly fucking 2x multi , i have to kill like 10 people in a row at the flag and the next round my team get slaughtered like pigs and im back to 1x while clans farm the 5x forever...

proximity xp was FAIR you lost the round ? it didnt matter you fought in the fray and tried to survive and get the most xp you could ,

Also all thoses fucking roof campers and kiters and valor farmers wouldnt get xp by using their pathetic tactics they would have to get closer to the action which is good !|

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:39 pm »
Actually, pure deathmatch would be interesting if the spawning was a bit more organized than default in Warband.
Would be a perfect place to park trolls.. which is most of us.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline EddyMcK

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: America
  • Game nicks: GoD_Scrubby_Tier
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2011, 06:58:34 pm »
+2
I've never played the old cRPG but as someone who just started playing this game in the summer(Balton the Benevolent convinced me to get it, i knew him in SC2, i heard he was kind of famous around these parts lol), i have been convinced this is the best game ever made, and this mod makes me believe that to be true. Of course i would be upset if they changed it from it's current state, it's human nature for some people to hate change. But all the veterans who think the game turned to shit, fear not, it's still to this day bringing in new players and giving them a great time, and im proof. I don't even play Starcraft anymore, i picked up BF3 but shooters dont give me the boner that warband gives
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:00:04 pm by EddyMcK »
gimme three steps, gimme three steps mister, gimme three steps towards the door, gimme three steps , gimme three mister, and you'll never see me no more

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2011, 07:08:37 pm »
+1
Ahh thee bad old days. When there was nothing for me to spend gold on.
When getting tk'd meant you were actually getting screwed.
When xp was linear with no end in sight.
When you had to be willing to get nothing because of a failed flank.
When you actually noticed brave peasants, because many just huddled somewhere.
When holds were of no concern to me as I would just swing through it.

The 'new' system is superior. You can get a kill at any level, it is just more likely now. Previously, you had virtually no chance if you were under level 20 against a high level character (over lvl 30). Not going to claim it is perfect, or there are some steps back, but it is an improvement.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2011, 07:20:15 pm »
+1
Why dont we mix the best parts from both versions? Surely that would be the happy medium?
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »
Ahh thee bad old days. When there was nothing for me to spend gold on.
When getting tk'd meant you were actually getting screwed.
When xp was linear with no end in sight.
When you had to be willing to get nothing because of a failed flank.
When you actually noticed brave peasants, because many just huddled somewhere.
When holds were of no concern to me as I would just swing through it.

The 'new' system is superior. You can get a kill at any level, it is just more likely now. Previously, you had virtually no chance if you were under level 20 against a high level character (over lvl 30). Not going to claim it is perfect, or there are some steps back, but it is an improvement.

the new system is different ( i would say awful but ill restraint myself )  not superior ,  and most of the points you mentionned has no link to the old feelings of crpg  , also if you got tked the tker lost gold and xp   , i for one used flank tactics in old system and it was fine xp wise

not sure why the high lvl plate crutchers argument is always popping , i see tons of plate crutchers in the current system, it didnt made the game any harder , weapons used to hit harder too ,

i could go on and on...

and Zisa as old crpg veteran you cant be serious saying the actual system is superior shame on you :<

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)
giggle, the tk'er lost gold and xp - when you are rich fines mean nothing. It was more a wild west feel with the lack of admins and admin tools.

Yes there was lots that was fun - if you met someone on a flank you knew they had a pair - flankers always took the risk of no xp or gold that round.
Perhaps that is what is part of what is missed - the risk/reward. There is no penalty from a poorly thought out or unfortunate maneuver other then leaving your team a man short, and nowadays some goon can carry his whole team. In olden times you got the xp/gold for being near the action, but dying early often meant little or no reward, even if the actions contributed to the team victory - the 'carry' guy pretty well benefitted himself more then his dead team mates, whose timers had long since run out.

It is possible to do some key actions and maintain a low kdr and get rewarded - this is as it should be, though perhaps at the cost of some intensity.

I do not miss xp bridge, xp boat, xp barn, xp moat or any other crap that meant a large mostly useless huddle of people tryin to die near the action. I actually prefer the large mostly uselss huddle of people who are actually trying to do some damage and stick together to overwhelm the enemy.

In short, the current xp/gold system lends it self to more team oriented play then the old. I will agree perhaps the old system was more 'hero' personal glory oriented.

I agree the plate crutchers argument is toothless - any vet with an upkeep problem has to be learning disabled. But high level agi/wpf builds would just outswing the low level characters, high level str builds would just shrug off wimpy low level damage and pound peasants into goo. It was my suggestion that XP become exponential, as it was far too easy to collect levels after 30.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »
+2
Hey, here's a mix of things I think would be good to see in cRPG "classic" :

- No more upkeep. Not needed if items are correctly balanced (heavy armors being heavy, relative instead of fixed weight maluses to avoid tincan armors to be the nobrain choice at higher levels, horses requiring many skill points, maybe with a special horseback weapontype with it's own wpf... ok that's probably too complicated)
- Old gold income rate with the old prices.
- No more level cap, and a more consistent (but still exponential, and even factorial) level curve. The XP needed to get to level X should take roughly (X^0.52)! battles. (2 for level 2, 30 for level 10, 293 for level 20, 2169 for level 30, 14714 for level 40), resulting in a soft cap (if you are ready to spend months to get to level 45, you are still very far from level 46)
- Unique, hard and rare heirlooming. Not as powerful as it was, though. It should remain a choice, with tradeoffs. No more wpf bonus, that was sick. Linear XP bonus (+10% bonus xp per gen, not compound) and an heirloom point. Old heirloom modifiers (maybe some minor tweaks) because heirloomed stuff is special. Required level : starts at 25 and +3 per gen. Same gold price and 1 week timer as in the pre-january cRPG.
- Old XP-radius system, without any special reward for landing the killing blow. The radius is around the killer and not around the victim (grouped ranged fire = good xp)
- Old xp in duel mode !!!
- Old archery OPness so we have something to complain about, yet without it being gamebreaking (the point of cRPG classic isn't winning, it's having fun).

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 960
  • Infamy: 2313
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »
+1
Old c-rpg = faster game speed = more interesting melee fights

And many more.

I'm pretty sure that old system had more good points compared to current c-rpg.

And no strat is fine because if old strat was ressurected no one would play current strategus because it sux ballz.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:55 pm »
giggle, the tk'er lost gold and xp - when you are rich fines mean nothing. It was more a wild west feel with the lack of admins and admin tools.

Yes there was lots that was fun - if you met someone on a flank you knew they had a pair - flankers always took the risk of no xp or gold that round.
Perhaps that is what is part of what is missed - the risk/reward. There is no penalty from a poorly thought out or unfortunate maneuver other then leaving your team a man short, and nowadays some goon can carry his whole team. In olden times you got the xp/gold for being near the action, but dying early often meant little or no reward, even if the actions contributed to the team victory - the 'carry' guy pretty well benefitted himself more then his dead team mates, whose timers had long since run out.

It is possible to do some key actions and maintain a low kdr and get rewarded - this is as it should be, though perhaps at the cost of some intensity.

I do not miss xp bridge, xp boat, xp barn, xp moat or any other crap that meant a large mostly useless huddle of people tryin to die near the action. I actually prefer the large mostly uselss huddle of people who are actually trying to do some damage and stick together to overwhelm the enemy.

In short, the current xp/gold system lends it self to more team oriented play then the old. I will agree perhaps the old system was more 'hero' personal glory oriented.

I agree the plate crutchers argument is toothless - any vet with an upkeep problem has to be learning disabled. But high level agi/wpf builds would just outswing the low level characters, high level str builds would just shrug off wimpy low level damage and pound peasants into goo. It was my suggestion that XP become exponential, as it was far too easy to collect levels after 30.

a well done opinion , giving you teh +1

only one thing im not neccesarry agreeing with is :  high lvl agi\wpf builds still outswing  95% of the players in the current system  , im the living proof :D  the remaining 5% are too good skillwise to be outswinged

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »
Since when are you high Agi/wpf?! I can haz arrow past your shield if I aim properly! Or are you still skimping on shield skill with that brown heater of yours...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.