Author Topic: How To Spot The Auto Block Hack And How To Defeat It  (Read 15181 times)

Offline Galgorth

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
How To Spot The Auto Block Hack And How To Defeat It
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »
Before I delve into the topic, I've observed in my dozens of hours of playing in battle, siege and duel modes over the past couple weeks that the auto block hack is rare in CRPG. I would wager that 98% of the playerbase is NOT using it. If a greater % are using it, they're using it so ineptly that they might as well not have a hack at all.

How to spot an auto block hacker

If you know how it works it can be quite easy to spot. A player who holds down the defense button will automatically parry an attack as long as it's coming from within about a 120 degree cone of the direction his character is facing. If you spam feints in numerous directions and he instantaneously parries in the direction of your feint (in some cases before you've even begun your weapon swing animation!) then you can be pretty confident that you're facing a hacker. A more devious hacker will only press the defense button when he thinks an attack is not a feint, so his blocking will look more 'natural'. These types are harder to spot, but if they seem preternaturally talented at blocking yet newbish in other areas of their play style (not good at feinting, poor footwork, etc.) then that's a sign you may be facing a hacker. In addition, a hacker's feints will look 'off'; instead of the regular direction attack - parry in same direction - direction attack (AKA swing up parry up swing up) the hacker's attacks will appear to be direction attack - parry down - direction attack (swing up parry down swing up).

Another way to spot the hack is to look at the default direction of the player's parry. An auto block hacker will by default parry downwards. He is incapable of parrying to the left or right unless an attack is coming from that direction.

How to defeat an auto block hacker

The easiest way to defeat an auto block hacker is with a ranged weapon since they can't block arrows or jarids. Many people do not have this option however, and must engage the hacker in melee combat. The key to defeating the hacker in this case comes down to three variables: chambering, feinting and footwork. If you can get the hacker to draw back his weapon while you are in the middle of an attack (AKA feinting) you will be able to score a hit. If you can move around the hacker and land multiple consecutive blows which are either unblockable due to flanking or tricky to block due to their spam like nature, you will likely win. Finally, if you are skilled enough to chamberblock the hacker's blows you will undoubtedly land a kill. I know this from experience since I tested out the hack in the duel server a number of days ago and found that my dueling skills were actually DIMINISHED due to the weird way the hack interferes with feinting. Certain highly skilled players who I might go 30-40% against in duels were actually killing me MORE when I used the hack. This is a rare situation however and should not be used as evidence that the hack 'isn't a big deal' since most players are not highly skilled, and if two average players duel each other ceteris paribus the one with the autoblock hack will win 99 times out of 100.

Hopefully this write up has helped and will lead to some justified bans of the auto block hackers in CRPG.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: How To Spot The Auto Block Hack And How To Defeat It
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:31 pm »
Hmm, thanks for the info.

But I'm the type of player who always reacts even to feints, I hope people won't think I'm using that crap.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:35:08 pm »
I react to feints by trying to swing and die as a result... ooooooo

Btw, how did you get the information on how to identify a hacker, by testing?
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:36:29 pm »
Btw, how did you get the information on how to identify a hacker, by testing?

I think yes.

Certain highly skilled players who I might go 30-40% against in duels were actually killing me MORE when I used the hack.

Hope you haven't got any keylogger or other crap with it mate.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:44:07 pm »

But I'm the type of player who always reacts even to feints, I hope people won't think I'm using that crap.

Just block left or right to show you are not the cheater. :rolleyes:
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Galgorth

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:48:51 pm »

The reaction of a hacker is superhuman, he'll be able to follow every feint with perfect timing no matter how fast you spam them.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 01:48:35 pm »
lol @ this
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:01:54 pm »
I just want to remind everyone of this:

I don't think it's necessary to tell, but using that thing will result in a lifetime ban.
Do _not_ try it out, not even for testing or whatever.

We can see who is using it.
We are not using different rules for testing or cheating. Using it = ban, a minute, an hour, doesn't matter.

Offline No_Sir

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:28:15 pm »
Be Gash.

Use auto-block.

Get beat by someone in a duel.

Complain about it and ban said duelist.

Profit!!!!

Bitch, admin.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »
That's a stupid way to spot an auto block hack, I'm good enough to block feints with minimal concentration nowadays, would this make me a hacker?

Offline Sayton

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 02:44:07 pm »
The easiest way to spot an autoblocker will always be the large round huscarl shield in front of him.  :P

Offline Lokix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:39 pm »
Certain highly skilled players who I might go 30-40% against in duels were actually killing me MORE when I used the hack.

Ops, are you using the hack?  :rolleyes:

Offline TomFoolery

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: TomFoolery
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »
He's not using the hack, he tested it out. After what chadz just said are you trying to get someone in trouble. How petty

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 05:47:54 pm »
Knowledge is power.  An informed player base is a better player base.  I like that the OP has taken initiative to get more information about something that can truly and utterly DESTROY the game (see APB example).  Not addressing this is a best way to destroy the game and mod completely.

If he didnt, he should have gone thru official channels to get his tests sanctioned.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:59:09 pm »
some ppl play this mod almost a year, you really think that they havent learned every visual or acustical beat of the game??

there is no such thing, only skilled player with great equipment (sound graphic connection etc)