Author Topic: Buff 1h swords speed  (Read 8648 times)

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Buff 1h swords speed
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:29:01 am »
Buff normal sword speed to 100/101 from 99. Right now just side sword is an option, other swords with 94/95 are subpar compared to it.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Re: Buff 1h swords speed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:42:38 am »
Why should 1h weapons be faster than any other weapon in the game on average?
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:52:36 am »

Faster ? 2h are faster. Poles are faster, 1h are slowest atm.

Besides, it would not change general balance between those classes. SIDE SWORD exist even now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:10:00 am by UrLukur »
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Severant

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:56:54 am »

because 1) you can swing something a one handed weapon faster that a 2 handed weapon IRL (faster = start to finish of a swing not velocity) and 2) 2 hand/ Pole arms already have the reach and damage, they don't also need speed

Now the most common excuse why 2handers and poles have all 3 of those advantages is that they can't block range.. this is strait bs because almost ALL the pole / 2handers i see carry a shield on thier back that they use to close with ranged ppl then pull out thier 2 handers and spam them to death. So you can't use that excuse anymore.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:04:50 am »
 :rolleyes:

Severant, you seem to have a very DnD inspired view of two handed swords.

and UrLukur, you're just flat out wrong. Polearms and 2h weapons are placed at similar speeds to 1h weapons. In fact, 1h weapons actually currently already hold the fastest weapons in the game.

Offline Toldfield

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • If the toaster crawls, Cover your shoe in cyanide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:14 am »
Buff normal sword speed to 100/101 from 99. Right now just side sword is an option, other swords with 94/95 are subpar compared to it.

Why would you want to play guitar when the cello is on an untouched holy ground?
People who think differently will survive. People who think by the book would get crushed, killed, and stepped upon.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:10:40 am »

and UrLukur, you're just flat out wrong. Polearms and 2h weapons are placed at similar speeds to 1h weapons. In fact, 1h weapons actually currently already hold the fastest weapons in the game.

Dagger ? dont invalidate your arguments :D
Why would you want to play guitar when the cello is on an untouched holy ground?

Side sword looks shitty and does not fit many characters, its fuckin late weapon, ya know ? And it's design is not that superior anyway.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:13:53 am by UrLukur »
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:20:21 am »
because 1) you can swing something a one handed weapon faster that a 2 handed weapon IRL (faster = start to finish of a swing not velocity) and 2) 2 hand/ Pole arms already have the reach and damage, they don't also need speed

Now the most common excuse why 2handers and poles have all 3 of those advantages is that they can't block range.. this is strait bs because almost ALL the pole / 2handers i see carry a shield on thier back that they use to close with ranged ppl then pull out thier 2 handers and spam them to death. So you can't use that excuse anymore.

Take a sword and swing it in one hand
Okay feel that?
Now use both your hands
Wow way easier eh?
Swinging faster?
Yes, yes you are.

Okay, end of debate.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 03:25:38 am »
Dagger ? dont invalidate your arguments :D
Side sword looks shitty and does not fit many characters, its fuckin late weapon, ya know ? And it's design is not that superior anyway.

Long Dagger mind you. I actually have a character built around this weapon.

Don't like daggers? How about a short sword? 102 speed, good pierce and enough cut to go along with it. Want something longer? Got a little extra cash? Short arming sword. 103 speed. Nomad Sabre. Oh and these are all VERY affordable and can damage people in decent armor.

Ya, I'm just not buying that whole "1h weapons are so slow!!!!!!" cry that people are having. It has never been a problem with my character.

Mind you, I play both a sword and shield character and a polearm character. The speed between the two is comparable.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:26:57 am by Seawied »

Offline Severant

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 03:34:38 am »

DnD inspired? No i think its mainly just a realistic and a good game balanced view.

Offline Severant

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 03:40:17 am »

Okay feel that?
Now use both your hands
Wow way easier eh?
Swinging faster?
Yes, yes you are.

Okay, end of debate.

See the problem with your logic is the 2 handed weapons weigh 3 times as much as the one handed weapons. so what i SHOULD do is take three of the weapons iw as swinging with one hand and swing it with two.

If you haven't noticed, the weapons you can with 2 handed and one handed do have speed nerf when handled in 1 hand. But 2 handed weapons weigh alot more which creates alot more inertia... thus the answer to why they are two handed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:44:48 am by Severant »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:44 am »

Okay feel that?
Now use both your hands
Wow way easier eh?
Swinging faster?
Yes, yes you are.

Okay, end of debate.

Look, you've pushed this completely false argument in several threads now: We are not swinging the same weapon either with one or with two hands. A 2h sword is much longer and heavier than a 1h sword, so your argument is complete bollocks. Try swinging a 1h sword with two hands, it won't be faster at all, because 1h swords are well balanced and made to be swung with one hand only. Actually, you couldn't even hold a 1h sword with two hands.
I'm not saying that 1h should be faster than 2h, btw. Just getting upset by stupid illogical arguments.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 04:04:58 am »
See the problem with your logic is the 2 handed weapons weigh 3 times as much as the one handed weapons

No. No, that's not the case at all.

A two handed sword was at most a few pounds heavier than a 1h sword. The heaviest of Flamberge-Zweihanders would weigh around 12 pounds. Guess what: the Flamberges already are already 17 points slower than some of the 1hers I listed.

The myth of the uber-heavy two handed sword really comes from DnD, which couldn't be further from the truth. A two handed sword was just designed differently; it didn't necessarily weigh more.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:30 am »
Long Dagger mind you. I actually have a character built around this weapon.

Don't like daggers? How about a short sword? 102 speed, good pierce and enough cut to go along with it. Want something longer? Got a little extra cash? Short arming sword. 103 speed. Nomad Sabre. Oh and these are all VERY affordable and can damage people in decent armor.

Ya, I'm just not buying that whole "1h weapons are so slow!!!!!!" cry that people are having. It has never been a problem with my character.

Mind you, I play both a sword and shield character and a polearm character. The speed between the two is comparable.

Katana, 102 speed, 95 reach (actually more, due to animations). 36 cut (can turn into swing more, so successful attacks are faster).
Those weapon you listed have way shorter true reach, and can't turn into swings so much, so are slower than 1h.

2h users have more points to convert (don't need to invest in shield, can do fine with few points in ps), so 2h characters swing their weapons faster.

I ask you a question. Why other swords with range between 94 and 95 should be gimped when there is already 1h sword with 95 reach and 101 speed that have very high damage output ? Why other 94/95 reach swords should be inferior ?
See the problem with your logic is the 2 handed weapons weigh 3 times as much as the one handed weapons. so what i SHOULD do is take three of the weapons iw as swinging with one hand and swing it with two.

If you haven't noticed, the weapons you can with 2 handed and one handed do have speed nerf when handled in 1 hand. But 2 handed weapons weigh alot more which creates alot more inertia... thus the answer to why they are two handed.
Bull, 2h weight about as much as 1h (5/10% more) when we talk about longswords. 2h are faster irl than 1h as you have better leverage. But irl you can block with shield while attacking.

Game balance wise, it's not good that 2h are so much faster than 1h.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 04:17:07 am »
I have both a broadsword and a scottish claymore, and the claymore weighs at least twice as much. It's impossible to swing it with one hand, not only because it is much heavier, but also because it has a different weight distribution.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?