Author Topic: Problems with Al-Qobab, the conquest map  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
Problems with Al-Qobab, the conquest map
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:27:33 pm »
Well, simply put, I lag insanely on this map. I have no issues with any other map and I have done all the necessary tuneups in my graphics settings (like setting a framerate cap, disabling vsync and particle effects, turning off MSAA etc.). This map lags no matter what. It happens especially when I am facing the attacker side. If I turn my back to that and face the defending side, everything runs as smooth as supposed to be.

Before some peeps come here to advise me to get a rig update (get a better pc, lol!), I would like to note that this looks for the most part like an optimization issue. Can you guys take a look at this map and probably find out what causes it to lag so hard when I don't get even 1/5 of that on any other map?

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Al-Qobab, the conquest map
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:57 pm »
+1
My framerate is locked at 60 fps, which I can easily preserve on all maps (maybe dropping by 1-3 very occasionally). It is the ideal framerate for all computers, unless you got an extreme monster of a PC.

MSAA is antialiasing. It will have a huge impact on performance if you don't turn it completely off. You are advised to do that if you haven't already. You will see the results immediately.

Edit: There is also an option for FXAA antialiasing, which I have found to have no noticable impacts on performance. You may crank it up safely if I'm not wrong.

Offline Apple_the_Green

• Baron
  • Renown: 93
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Arthur_the_Chipmunk, Archer_Z, 2 unknown to mankind.
  • IRC nick: None
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 08:57:59 pm »
I'd say it's a problem itself. It's so unbalanced, the defenders might not have been there.
I think its how uselessly big the map is.

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:05 pm »
I'd say it's a problem itself. It's so unbalanced, the defenders might not have been there.
I think its how uselessly big the map is.

It's that big for a reason. I wanted to implement a map where cav should play a proper role and from what i've seen it does exactly that. Defence just needs to concentrate on 1 or 2 spawnpoints and not scatter around all of them. Seen it won by defence quite a lot.

@Cocky: The map itself isn't larger than most other maps, it uses the same size as the standard blank-map. It just uses more space than any other map. Also there are basically no details and the file size is like 200kb, which is even less than many other siege maps. So i really have no idea what could cause the laggs on your side. How are your fps on helms deep? It's about the same size and has a whole lot more details which are usually the cause for laggs.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 01:22:41 pm »
Thinking about it, I have absolutely no lags in Helms Deep, Fips. I am alright even though there may be 100 people online. But on Al-Qobab, the population doesn't matter at all. I still lag hard on low populations.

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 01:37:56 pm »
That's incredibly weird. Maybe the palm-prop causes it for you? xD
The only thing i can think about is that certain props causes lags for you whereas they don't cause lags for others, which makes it even weirder.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 01:49:58 pm »
Afaik, I am not the only one who gets this issue. The worst thing is that people generally won't come over to the scene editing forums and write about it. But it must be about something different on that map. So yeah, could be the palm props. As I said, I lag insanely as long as I am facing the attacker side (when looking left or right too). Everything is fine if I face the defending side.

Offline Apple_the_Green

• Baron
  • Renown: 93
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Arthur_the_Chipmunk, Archer_Z, 2 unknown to mankind.
  • IRC nick: None
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 02:31:11 pm »
It's that big for a reason. I wanted to implement a map where cav should play a proper role and from what i've seen it does exactly that. Defence just needs to concentrate on 1 or 2 spawnpoints and not scatter around all of them. Seen it won by defence quite a lot.

Maybe siege doesn't have enuf people to play evenly.
Think about it. If defense is gonna group up at one spawn, and attackers cap one, don't the attackers have less spawn time?
Also, when one spawn point is uncaptured because defenders have defended it, and all others are, defenders gonna have attacks from all sides, plus maybe even HA or cav.