Author Topic: dyna's map room  (Read 3803 times)

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
dyna's map room
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:53:56 pm »
+15
Welcome to
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Alright, I am new at map making... *slap* scene editing, so I appreciate any feedback you throw at me. I'll focus on battle maps first to get a hang of things.

Maps:

Mapname:Sheltered_Town
MapType:battle
Version:1.0
ReleaseDate:2/16/2014
Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/6xfzzv6drzg0sag/Sheltered_Town.zip
Description:Nestled underneath a mountain ridge and alongside a trading route lies this peaceful town. It is sheltered by its naturally defensive geography and protected by the minor lord in his castle, overlooking the town.

Prominent features of the town are the small fishing lake in its center and the old windmill up on its northern hill. Game is to be found aplenty in the rich forests surrounding the town and the monks of the nearby monastery provide spiritual guidance to the townsfolk. In a place this idyllic, what could possibly go wrong?

Changelog:Done
ToDo:Test run on server
(click to show/hide)

Mapname:Booty_Island
Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/ia3gg8lh6r63stz/Booty_Island.zip
Description:Two forces meet on this godforsaken island, each to claim it as their own. Being an old smuggler haven, the island offers opportunity to battle from down in the waters to up in the palm trees. Don't be fooled by the inviting scenery, soon the sands will run red with blood!

And with this being a smuggler island who knows - some of the famed booty might still be around...

(click to show/hide)

Mapname:The_Rock
MapType:siege
Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/6zq49hmm2loilr6/The_Rock.zip
Description:There are difficult castles to take... and there are nigh impregnable ones. The Rock is the latter of the two.

Perched high upon an island cliff, this ancient castle is one with the rock it takes its name from. The old folk say there have always been men seeking shelter on the natural defences this island provides and that never has an enemy set foot upon the top of the rock - even more so since the impressive rows of fortifications have been built many generations ago.

This castle has has withstood the test of time and the fires of men. Now all that burns are the fiery hearts of the defenders. Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?
Strategy:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Feedback is appreciated!  :)

Thread layout "borrowed" from Hellsing fully without his permission  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:35:13 am by dynamike »
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Man of Steel

• Earl
  • Renown: 368
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Linux, Traitor
Re: dyna's map room
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:14:56 pm »
+3
I'd like to see some new/more maps in the rotation and why not this one? It looks pretty cool and very detailed.  :wink:
For fuck sake Linux, fix your signature.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:26:37 pm »
+2
Aesthetically speaking, it looks quite nice. The textures mod helps too.  :P  I've been in the scene editing business for 3+ years off and on and I still call it "map making" so no worries on that.  :D  Really, without looking at the file myself, I can't see anything wrong with it, such as barrier placement, hill steepness, time to reach battle area from both sides...  But just looking at the pictures, I'd say it could be quite good (you never know until you have 30+ people playing and exploiting every little thing they can find. lol). If you're really unsure about something in the map, post the files and have someone take a look at it. I'd also like to see this map in rotation once it's finished.

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »
+1
Where do the flags spawn?

Offline dynamike

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:52:03 pm »
+1
Thanks for the first feedback, guys!

Aesthetically speaking, it looks quite nice. The textures mod helps too.  :P  I've been in the scene editing business for 3+ years off and on and I still call it "map making" so no worries on that.  :D  Really, without looking at the file myself, I can't see anything wrong with it, such as barrier placement, hill steepness, time to reach battle area from both sides...  But just looking at the pictures, I'd say it could be quite good (you never know until you have 30+ people playing and exploiting every little thing they can find. lol). If you're really unsure about something in the map, post the files and have someone take a look at it. I'd also like to see this map in rotation once it's finished.
Thanks, I appreciate it  :) I have a texture mod? Completely forgot about that haha. I'll finish the map up tonight/this weekend and upload the files so the scene masters can have a closer look.

Where do the flags spawn?
Good question! Haven't placed them yet - where would you suggest?
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:28:47 pm »
+2
For MOTF flags, place them somewhere relatively easy to get to. Usually near an area you expect fighting. Though, sometimes I do place one in a remote area with no protection. Make 'em run for it. :twisted: I always like to place mine in odd places if I have any. If it were my map, I'd place one in the graveyard, one next to the well in the center of town, and one in the fenced in area outside of town.

As for the texture mod, it could be because I'm running on mostly medium settings.... laptop doesn't run as good as it used to.  :oops:

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 12:40:22 am »
+1
I'd like to see some new/more maps in the rotation and why not this one? It looks pretty cool and very detailed.  :wink:

Because it's just been submitted? lol
Everything needs a patch to get ingame, derp.

Will take a look at it on Sunday (I was lazy the last couple of days =O).

Flags need to be central from both teams, or you know, at least not that one team can get there while the other one cannot. And block off any roofs that are accessible with jumping (exploiting). If you can simply walk on them without a problem, don't worry about that.

Offline dynamike

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 08:09:27 am »
+1
Alright guys, flags are places, barriers too and roofs made (partially) accessible. Here goes the map:

http://www.filedropper.com/shelteredtown

Can some of you map geniuses try it out and let me know if anything needs to be changed? Would love to see the map on the server sometime  :)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 04:13:04 pm »
+2
Looks like a really well-detailed map, especially for someone who just started "scene editing." How it plays out, well... that has yet to be determined. ;P

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline dynamike

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 03:46:51 am »
+3
My second map - Booty Island - is ready for testing!  :D

Mapname:Booty_Island
Version:0.9
ReleaseDate:open
Download:http://www.filedropper.com/bootyisland
Description:Two forces meet on this godforsaken island, each to claim it as their own. Being an old smuggler haven, the island offers opportunity to battle from down in the waters to up in the palm trees. Don't be fooled by the inviting scenery, soon the sands will run red with blood!

And with this being a smuggler island who knows - some of the famed booty might still be around...

Changelog:2/8/2014 - 90% map finished. First posting on the forums for feedback.
ToDo:Testing & adjustments based on feedback
(click to show/hide)

Feedback is appreciated!  :)

Offline Sauce

• Duke
  • Renown: 597
  • Infamy: 83
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Remnants
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 03:50:00 am »
+1
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:21:09 pm by Sauce »

Offline dynamike

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 03:53:29 am »
+2
Very cool, I'm excited to get some booty. How does testing work with new maps?

Good question. I am hoping for dev map managers' input on that. I am thinking they upload it and run through it to see if everything is alright. Then hopefully it gets a test run on one of the servers.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 01:56:34 am »
+5
Good question. I am hoping for dev map managers' input on that. I am thinking they upload it and run through it to see if everything is alright. Then hopefully it gets a test run on one of the servers.

That's more or less how it works I believe.  I took a look at your first map, Sheltered Town.  A few things:

• One of the buildings is destructible. It's the crpg_sh_engineer building. Replace it with town_house_u. It's the same building physically. You might also have noticed it's the one that turns into a block when you are far enough away from it.
  • Spawn point 1 has somewhat narrows pathways for players compared to spawn point 2. It's not so bad for people on foot, but add horses and it gets difficult; however, since most players will head straight for town, that leaves the wooden bridge open to cav, which leads them to more open space, so I wouldn't change anything with that yet. Wait and see how that plays out. You probably expect cav to go that way to try and flank the enemy.
  • You already know it of course, but spawn point 2 has a big advantage with the windmill hill. Their ranged can pretty much cover all the main fighting area; however, if spawn point 1 plays with some strategy, they can make spawn point 2 come to them, so it's up to the players whether or not that hill is too big of an advantage. I would say the hill will win at least 75% of the time, but it wouldn't be the first time that the players would show me just the opposite. Again, just wait and see how it plays out.

As for my first point in replacing that building, odds are you probably already know, but here's an easy way to seamlessly replace the building without much trouble:

First, place town_house_u. Anywhere will do.
Second, copy the X, Y, and Z positions of crpg_sh_engineer from the Edit Mode Window and paste them into the X, Y, and Z positions of town_house_u. (Always start with the Z position. It's a lot easier that way.)
Third, rotate town_house_u until it completely overlaps with crpg_sh_engineer.
Next, add a 1 to the beginning value of the Z position of town_house_u (i.e. change 2.986461 to 12.986461). Alternatively, copy the Z position from the Edit Mode Window again, then just raise town_house_u up until you can select crpg_sh_engineer.
Delete crpg_sh_engineer.
Finally, paste the Z position back into town_house_u.
Voila! A seamless replacement.

**** Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I think I played too much Elder Scrolls Beta this weekend, 'cause while looking through your town, I saw a chest behind a building and walked up to it planning to pick the lock.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:00:51 am by Thranduil »

Offline dynamike

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 04:07:40 pm »
+4
 :shock: Wow, that is some amazing feedback and tips - thanks a bunch, Thran! I had no idea about the replacing option and the better building option.

For your assessment of how the map will play: you are right on point with what I was going for - infantry will flock to the village via the pathway, while cav will cross the rope bridge and battle it out there, hopefully.

As far as the ranged advantage on the windmill hill: I tried to counter that by giving team 1 (the team spawning next to the rope bridge) more buildings to take cover behind and made some of the roofs accessible for their ranged. At the latest when flags spawn team 2 will have to give up the windmill hill and come down to fight - and when doing so they will have very little cover to hide behind while they come down.

Thanks again, I will fix these issues. Plus, one of my good "pro exploiter" friends already found a way to mess around with one of the houses, which I need to block off.

Also, teaser: working on my first siege map called...
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:19:50 am by dynamike »

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:05:15 am »
+1
The siege map looks badass.  I don't really have anything constructive to say though, I haven't played siege in ages, and I haven't touched mapmaking, but I'd start playing again.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.