Author Topic: Elindor's Maps Feedback & Updates Thread  (Read 24944 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Elindor's Maps Feedback & Updates Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2013, 03:40:33 pm »
+1
Thanks Jeade...

The wall hoping wasn't intentional, but im watching it to see if its a problem or not ultimately.

So far (and let me know if you see different), I've only seen people able to hop the initial wall and gain access to the first courtyard (where the gate winch is)...that is probably ok for balance, we'll see.

If they can jump into the SECOND courtyard, where the flag is, then that is a problem :)

Surprisingly, I've so far seen this map won mostly by defense...so watching to see what happens overall but that was not entirely expected.
Either way, what is is offering is a lot of combat.  People (including myself, woot) have been hitting 40+ kills on that map and what that tells me is that there is a LOT of combat going on - and not a lot of just running, breaking doors, etc....

...and that is my goal with my maps - Team Deathmatch!! (in a castle with a flag)
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »
Thanks Jeade...

The wall hoping wasn't intentional, but im watching it to see if its a problem or not ultimately.

So far (and let me know if you see different), I've only seen people able to hop the initial wall and gain access to the first courtyard (where the gate winch is)...that is probably ok for balance, we'll see.

If they can jump into the SECOND courtyard, where the flag is, then that is a problem :)

Surprisingly, I've so far seen this map won mostly by defense...so watching to see what happens overall but that was not entirely expected.
Either way, what is is offering is a lot of combat.  People (including myself, woot) have been hitting 40+ kills on that map and what that tells me is that there is a LOT of combat going on - and not a lot of just running, breaking doors, etc....

...and that is my goal with my maps - Team Deathmatch!! (in a castle with a flag)

Yeah, every time I've played it, it's been a brutal deathmatch in the courtyard. The jump isn't a big balance issue, it just makes breaking the adjacent door pointless.

Defense usually wins every round after the first now on NA2 (except on the smallest maps, which O still usually win); it seems like the defender respawn timer change was a tad too aggressive. A minimum respawn timer of 22s might be better than 18s. Even better would be a separate respawn timer for each map, since on some maps (like godawful Hailes), it takes attackers upwards of a minute to just walk to the castle.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:59 pm »
Yeah, after the timer I might need to adjust the defense spawns a bit...will watch it for a couple weeks and see.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2014, 07:17:11 pm »
Anyone seen Dun Bhirum in lately?  I haven't been on as much so hard to know if it's in rotation or not.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Just curious if the changes to that map got in and how they are playing out.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »
+1
Anyone seen Dun Bhirum in lately?  I haven't been on as much so hard to know if it's in rotation or not.

I played it within the last week. I noticed that the walls were raised to prohibit attackers from just hopping over, but didn't notice any other obvious changes. It's great fun to play, although a bit biased toward defenders (as most maps are now with the 18s respawn timer for defense). I didn't realize that there was a right ingress route until Rusty showed us, and that's my preferred attack route now.

It's a good sized map for typical NA2 populations. Attacking Hailes with 12 people on the server is like watching paint dry.

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2014, 08:37:05 pm »
Its in the rotaion, it plays well, however you need to update a few things, make some barriers or raise the second wall alittle bit, atackers are getting on the table and jumping to the other side. And i would remove all that junk on the flag, its pointless. You could enlarge it too, making it able to play and defend the flag there with your team rather than being just a big obstacle. Also, remove the stables on the flag area.

I dont know if these things i mentioned were implemented by you or Fips, either way they should go.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2014, 08:46:39 pm »
Its in the rotaion, it plays well, however you need to update a few things, make some barriers or raise the second wall alittle bit, atackers are getting on the table and jumping to the other side. And i would remove all that junk on the flag, its pointless.

The platform at the flag has created some fun gameplay elements; the columns provide cover from defending archers, and the platform enables one to engage several enemies simultaneously without being ganked if you maneuver creatively. I think more maps should have crap at the flag to discourage the mindless swinging that often occurs there. 

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:36 pm »
I didn't realize that there was a right ingress route until Rusty showed us, and that's my preferred attack route now.

Heh... I didn't realize there was a backdoor until my team lost twice in a row right off the bat so we all camped flag. We had maybe 6 guys per team and no one except for the one ninja knew of the secret route. Quite a well-hidden backdoor. Should kinda be more obvious for defenders, but now that we know its there, we should be safe... I hope.

Also, not sure whose map this is, but it is the one where attackers have to lift open two gates, and there is an alternate path where you can raise a ladder to act as a bridge across the water when attacking from the front. Map also has a side ladder and backdoor. Anyways, there was always a second "backdoor" (more of a sidedoor really) that defenders could sally out. However, they had to cross the water and it ends up being an impossible feat since you drown before you can get across, so no one actually did it, ever. In fact most people probably didn't even acknowledge this door's existence. Well, I saw attackers pour through that door for the first time ever recently, any idea if that map got edited? Used to be an unreachable spot for attackers, and defenders had no reason to go outside there since it was suicide. 

(For all I know the attackers could have walked outside that way and had the door shut behind them, so they had to break it open... they might not have actually walked up from the water themselves.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »
Himmelsberg_dtv: Uff, ehm, a lot to be done about this one =D
First: This needs AI Meshes. Second: You need to make the whole thing more dtv-like. Bots will get stuck everywhere on the map. Edit in invisible walls or walls/fences that are not abusable to force the bots to go somewhere they cannot get stuck (Or at least where you think they cannot get stuck). That also goes for players. For example, on your bot spawn: Players could easily get behind the invisible wall by simply jumping from the bridge to the spawn area and the bots will be stuck behind it. Prevent that from happening. Bots will ALWAYS go for players if they are in range. So players can get them stuck on so many places on your map for the fence experience, players need restrictions too, not just bots.
It's probably not going to get in the next patch (sorry), but it seems like i really need to make that guide for dtv maps finally, because there is a lot to be done on your map and i consider you one of the most experienced mappers crpg has to offer =D

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2014, 03:09:29 pm »
...but it seems like i really need to make that guide for dtv maps finally...

Yea Fips, do it when you got time

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »
Nice maps, a small thing.
In Dun Bhirum, I managed to trap myself. There is a tower on the back left (from defenders perspective) that is slightly scaled down, the hole is big enough to go in, but not to go back out.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2014, 06:03:42 am »
Himmelsberg_dtv: Uff, ehm, a lot to be done about this one =D

Yeah, don't worry about this one for now...

I didn't put much effort into it :)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2014, 11:44:11 pm »
Those of you that have played Dun Bhirum's new version...thoughts?

- Overall balance?
- New defense spawn placements?  Good, bad?
- Addition of objects around flag area?  Good, bad?

Offline Mustikki

• Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »
+1
Could you get the screenies work again, please. :)
I.e. http://imgur.com/ works nicely.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2014, 07:30:31 am »
Could you get the screenies work again, please. :)
I.e. http://imgur.com/ works nicely.

I know, I don't wanna have to reupload everything :)