Author Topic: 04.5.4  (Read 26056 times)

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 04.5.4
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 05:26:38 am »
Yeah, I dunno, maybe because it's MADEOFFRIGGINMETAL?

Even you could probably wear it Golem.

The whole balance thing is the semi-fatal weakness of an rpg game.

Offline Westwood

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossback, Occitan, Mossitan
  • Game nicks: Westwood
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 05:35:30 am »
+4
What possible purpose could this serve?
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 10:00:14 am »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  This is something that should have been done a long time ago.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 02:33:58 pm »
+5
| [0] Gothic Plate with Bevor                        | old                            | new                           |
|----------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|
| difficulty                                         | 24                             | 29                            |
|____________________________________________________|________________________________|_______________________________|

My time has come.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 02:49:39 pm »
lmao dude plate armor isnt hard to wear. I'm a fairly scrawny dude(165lbs at 6 ft 1) and i can wear and do full contact fighting in my plate suit for 3-6 hours a day with a breather every 20mins or so for about 5mins. It aint that hard to fight in plate. They use these supports on your undergarmets to distribute the weight across your body to make it fairly easy to wear. The reason it was increased tho was to prevent gay ass agi builds from wearing the heaviest armor in the game. its a balance reason, not a realism.
But modern steel is usually much stronger than medieval iron, so your plate suit is probably much thinner and therefore lighter than medieval.

Veri gud changes overall, I finally have a reason to have more than 27 str. Except 0 -> 3 difficulty changes, these change nothing at all since we already start with 3 str.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »
But modern steel is usually much stronger than medieval iron, so your plate suit is probably much thinner and therefore lighter than medieval.

Veri gud changes overall, I finally have a reason to have more than 27 str. Except 0 -> 3 difficulty changes, these change nothing at all since we already start with 3 str.
Medieval steel was tempered.  Modern recreation steel is mild steel because it is easier to cold hammer into shape for amateurs.  Tempered steel is stronger than mild steel.  For the same strength medieval armor could be thinner than the historical recreation armor of today.  So, no, you don't need to be "The Mountain" to wear plate armor fitted to your frame. 

Here is an excellent video wherein the weight of modern reconstruction armor set is compared to historical equivalents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CUfkGLB48

The result is that the weights of the historical and the reconstruction armor is almost the same.  Therefore average men could run, do push ups, do any form of exercise in a suit of armor.  The total weight was around 60 pounds but was well distributed so it was not as much of an encumbrance as you might think.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:25:33 pm by Turkhammer »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 05:53:04 pm »
+1
Good thing reality never mattered, except for looks maybe.

gameplay/balance >> realism
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 06:14:28 pm »
change swedish sword pl0x
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 06:20:22 pm »
+1
Good thing reality never mattered, except for looks maybe.

gameplay/balance >> realism
Well, the goodness of reality not mattering is a matter of opinion.

Balance can be achieved in different ways.  The mod has tried to achieve it, in this case, by requiring you to be a super man to wear plate armor when historically that was not true.  Realism could be accommodated more readily in the mod but it would require a different mindset.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 06:47:31 pm »
Well, the goodness of reality not mattering is a matter of opinion.

Balance can be achieved in different ways.  The mod has tried to achieve it, in this case, by requiring you to be a super man to wear plate armor when historically that was not true.  Realism could be accommodated more readily in the mod but it would require a different mindset.
How exactly?
If you don't mind me asking...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 07:34:28 pm »
How exactly?
If you don't mind me asking...

It would require a different concept of the word role in Crpg.  I would like to see limits set on a server as to what percentage of players could assume the role of archer, footman, knight etc.  The associated role would be limited in what equipment was available.  For example if you took the role of an archer you would not have any armor available to you heavier than padded leather.  On the other end of the spectrum would be a knight who could wear a cotton shirt, if he foolishly chose to, up to plate armor.  The percentage of each class allowed would be greater for the lower classes and much less for the knight and mounted knight to reflect the relative cost difference of providing for those troops.

Any player could take any role that was available.  If you got on the server late you would have to take what was available and wait until that coveted knight spot opened up.  But with large population servers those 5% (hypothetical) knight slots would represent a fair number of positions available.

This concept would also require a leveling of skills so that you didn't have a 39-3 or a 3-39 character.  Every character would be a "average" man.

I don't for a minute dream this concept would be popular here but it certainly appeals to me.

But the thing is that '29 Strength' is a completely arbitrary in-game measurement that has no direct translation to real life.

How do you know that '29 Strength' means inhuman strength? Maybe it's normal. Perhaps '18 Strength' refers to incredibly weak individuals who've never done a day's work in their life. I mean, they cant even wear this plate armour that's SUPER easy for someone to wear and fight in by all accounts.

It's not completely arbitrary.  29 represents the higher end of the spectrum of strength in the game.  In actual fact, men of average strength can do calisthenics in plate armor.  No military man in the middle ages had never NOT done a day's work in his life.   The idea that an incredibly weak individual (18) would have been enlisted in an army, have trained to proficiency in his weapon, been able to march to the battle field with his kit and survive is more ludicrous than supposing that 29 strength represents "elite" strength in the game.   The restriction to the use of armor was expense, not strength.  This is just the opposite of what the latest patch posits.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:47 pm »
It would require a different concept of the word role in Crpg.  I would like to see limits set on a server as to what percentage of players could assume the role of archer, footman, knight etc.  The associated role would be limited in what equipment was available.  For example if you took the role of an archer you would not have any armor available to you heavier than padded leather.  On the other end of the spectrum would be a knight who could wear a cotton shirt, if he foolishly chose to, up to plate armor.  The percentage of each class allowed would be greater for the lower classes and much less for the knight and mounted knight to reflect the relative cost difference of providing for those troops.

Any player could take any role that was available.  If you got on the server late you would have to take what was available and wait until that coveted knight spot opened up.  But with large population servers those 5% (hypothetical) knight slots would represent a fair number of positions available.

This concept would also require a leveling of skills so that you didn't have a 39-3 or a 3-39 character.  Every character would be a "average" man.

I don't for a minute dream this concept would be popular here but it certainly appeals to me.
This is already in native Warband multiplayer, except the number of players restrictions. There are already classes with preset choices of equipment and preset sets of skills. If cRPG was like that, it would be nothing but a set of additional armours and weapons for native multiplayer.

29 represents the higher end of the spectrum of autism
fixed

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:27 pm »
+12
Just finished a +3 Gothic Plate with Bevor yesterday.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 10:35:44 pm »
+1
Just finished a +3 Gothic Plate with Bevor yesterday.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 01:06:19 am »
+6
Welp there goes my entire build focussed around using heavy armour on a heavy horse. Now how am I supposed to play kniggit?  :rolleyes: