Author Topic: Upper and lower strike for some polearm  (Read 1788 times)

Offline illogical

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • 100 Ping User
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Union, Teutonic Order
  • Game nicks: T_Yakety_Sax_savesiege
Upper and lower strike for some polearm
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:00:13 pm »
+2
like a Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

minimum for Long Spear and Pike.
maybe 3 type strike for Awlpike, Long Awlpike and other or for secondary mode replace swing.
what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:03:30 pm by illogical »
#savesiege

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: Upper and lower strike for some polearm
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:03:13 pm »
Well I think the left picture would be a cool idea instead of overhead, but still used to hit for the head.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:04:46 pm »
I actually was coming to post this suggestion here.  In VikingR mod for Warband the spears/lances also do an overhand thrust from above their head.

I'd love to see this in c-rpg, it would allow you to stab over shields (like friendly in front of you).  And being able to do this from horseback would be awesome  (stabbing down).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:17:23 pm »
You can't do it because of balance reasons. No way to defend against two pikers stabbing at the same time. Combined with the huge reach this would make the pike and long spear way overpowered.

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Inkompetent

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Inkompetent, Ildov_Morekov, Fairhair_Sigurdr, MySushi_Inkomoto
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:26:30 pm »
Pikes still use three slots though, so even if there would be a slight increase in pikemen due to the versatility, it'd barely be noticable. There's nothing like "balance" stopping a change like this.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »
You can't do it because of balance reasons. No way to defend against two pikers stabbing at the same time. Combined with the huge reach this would make the pike and long spear way overpowered.

There's currently no way for a 2H to defend against 2 good archers either.  So long as an idea doesn't make a weapon class strong against every other class then it is worthy of consideration.  Since Pikemen are meant to be weak to archers and would continue to be so then i don't see it as overpowered

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:48:40 pm »
... Pikers are in no way comparable to archers.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »
I don't know. I actually like the longspear having one direction, its not unbalanced or anything. Just imagine two guys from one clan with 280 length pikes agreeing that one does the lower and the other one the upper stab. Unless you have a shield they can just rape you from a huge distance without you being able to do shit.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »
I don't know. I actually like the longspear having one direction, its not unbalanced or anything. Just imagine two guys from one clan with 280 length pikes agreeing that one does the lower and the other one the upper stab. Unless you have a shield they can just rape you from a huge distance without you being able to do shit.

So their ability to team work is overpowered because you don't want to team work?  How can it be a balance argument if your comparison isn't even balanced?  If you were saying that 2 pikeman would be able to beat 2 people of every other (or even just most other) possible variations then I would agree, but 2 on 2, the pikemen will still have plenty of weaknesses
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:04:22 pm by Tomas »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 08:18:32 pm »
I do believe this was experimented with, and the problem was found that not all polearms should have this, and while you want an overhead thrust for a pike you want an overhead chop for a poleaxe, and there is not way for the game to differentiate between different polearms (an all or nothing thing.... Take that run-on sentence!)
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:06 pm »
I do believe this was experimented with, and the problem was found that not all polearms should have this, and while you want an overhead thrust for a pike you want an overhead chop for a poleaxe, and there is not way for the game to differentiate between different polearms (an all or nothing thing.... Take that run-on sentence!)

If i remember right there is a way to replace animations on the weapon, i  don't remember if there is possibility of adding new animations.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 09:55:44 pm »
there is not way for the game to differentiate between different polearms (an all or nothing thing....

This is not the case. Animations are assigned for each attack direction on a per weapon basis. Unfortunately, there is a limit on the total number of different animations that can be assigned. One of the existing animations would have to be overwritten to include an overhead thrust.

Additionally, this would be a significant buff to pike-like weapons. I would not count on it occurring given the direction the development team has been going with them over the past year.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:02 pm »
So don't allow overhead animations on 3 slot polearms.  Only the smaller lances/spears would have the option.  Problem solved.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 10:55:57 pm »
So their ability to team work is overpowered because you don't want to team work?  How can it be a balance argument if your comparison isn't even balanced?  If you were saying that 2 pikeman would be able to beat 2 people of every other (or even just most other) possible variations then I would agree, but 2 on 2, the pikemen will still have plenty of weaknesses
No they don't. A group of skilled pikemen is a bitch to fight as it is, luckily few are skilled at it. With two animations though, it's a whole different ball game. Pikemen, with two types of thrusts would make melee unbearable, within moments there would be whole hordes of em, raping the fun in battle.

Haha, I can imagine the whining and crying when every single clan starts doing this.

Seriously, pikes are not underpowered, they are a bitch to fight when they are in a group, but mostly get their asses kicked when they are alone. Perfect, exactly as they should be. Actually, try fighting Craftybadger 1 vs 1 and you will be glad that he doesn't have two types of thrusts.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 11:34:05 pm »
+2
like a Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword.

minimum for Long Spear and Pike.
maybe 3 type strike for Awlpike, Long Awlpike and other or for secondary mode replace swing.
what do you think?
I can't focus on anything aside from how ridiculous that outfit is.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character