Author Topic: Siege beta: guide for mappers  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
Siege beta: guide for mappers
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:33 pm »
+8
I don't have much time to expand on this area before I leave for the mocap event, so I'll make it pretty brief, and expand on it when I get back.

Entry points:
- 0 & 32 required, place them anywhere on the map.
- Ladders and siege tower paths are identical to the old siege.
- Entry points for spawning do not exist for this mode.

Special scene props
Flags:
"crpg_siege_flag_pole"
Var id 1: Flag ID. Valid numbers: 1 or higher. Must be unique for each flag!
Var id 2: Layer number. Valid numbers: 1 or higher. Flags with layer 1 will be captureable from the start.

"crpg_siege_selectable_spawn_attackers"
Var id 1: ID. Must be unique, also from the crpg_siege_flag_pole.

"crpg_siege_flag_pole_name"
Var id 1: Flag ID. Same number as the flag you want to give the name to.
Var id 2: Name index number. Current values for names: (1 for "flag_1", 2 for "flag_2" etc)
(click to show/hide)

"crpg_siege_attacker_spawn"
Var id 1: Flag ID. (or selectable attacker spawn ID). This is a spawn point for attackers, linked to a specific flag or attacker base. Typically place between 6 to 20 of these per flag, preferably with some spread (don't place all spawns right next to each other)

"crpg_siege_defender_spawn"
Var id 1: Flag ID. Works exactly the same as crpg_siege_attacker_spawn, except this is for defenders.

"crpg_siege_spawn_cam"
Now this can be a bit tricky to get right. It basically marks where the camera moves to for the spawn selection menu. Typically a good spot to place it is in the middle of your map, 200-300m up. The arrow should be pointing to the horizon, not downwards. Once you placed it, press ctrl+e to save the map, spawn somewhere and press M to view how it looks. There should only be one of these per map!
Var id 1: field of view (zoom). Valid values: 10-120. The lower the value, the more the camera will zoom in.

"crpg_siege_max_time"
Place one per map. Sets the round time limit for your map. If none exists, the default time of 7 minutes will be used.
Var id 1: Minutes. Valid values: 1-60
Var id 2: Seconds. Valid Values: 0-59

"crpg_siege_def_extra_spawn_time"
Place one per map.  Sets the defender's penalty to respawn time. If none exists, the default value will be used, 25 seconds.
Var id 1: Seconds. Valid values: 0-127

"crpg_ballista_full"
Place this in your map to add a ballista.
Var id 1: Horizontal rotation cap (optional). Valid values: 1-127. Caps the horizontal rotation to each side. If left to 0, players can rotate it fully 360 degrees.
DO NOT place any of the other ballista parts in your map, only place "crpg_ballista_full"

Hopefully that wasn't too complicated. If you want to see a couple of examples, host a local server with your WSE1 client and select "Blank 11" or "Blank 12" (haven't gotten to fixing the map names yet).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:38:24 pm by Fips »

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
Re: Siege beta: guide for mappers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 04:39:35 am »
go fipsie!

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:52:09 pm »
Max .sco file size? still 600kb?

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »
Monkeys!

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:19:34 pm »
A selectable spawn for defenders would be nice, too. So defenders could have some spots close to other capturable spawnpoints where they can savely spawn =)
Or for several points that are important for defenders to keep save, although attackers will not need it after they took other spawnpoints. Like Gatehouses.

For example: Attackers decide to go straight for the keep and try to open the gate. Once they opened it they have an advantage over the defenders, but defense can still spawn there (So attackers have to defend it without taking and constantly spawning there). If they fail they will have to go for other flags and take the castle in a different way.
Would be nice to have that implemented =D

Edit: Also, a fixed map rotation so the actual map-names show up would be great, too. Although that has not much to do with the new mode i guess =P
Impossibru to get feedback now^^
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:38:05 pm by Fips »

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:14:41 pm »
Ozin, I remember you mentioning that you might make it possible to enable ladders, are you planning on eventually doing so?
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »
"crpg_siege_selectable_spawn_attackers"
Var id 1: ID. Must be unique, also from the crpg_siege_flag_pole.

"crpg_siege_attacker_spawn"
Var id 1: Flag ID. (or selectable attacker spawn ID). This is a spawn point for attackers, linked to a specific flag or attacker base. Typically place between 6 to 20 of these per flag, preferably with some spread (don't place all spawns right next to each other)
Can the selectable spawn for the attackers have the ID of 0? This is convenient as the defender flags have to be 1 or higher. Is this attacker selectable spawn treated as just another flag? Can I give it a name similar to how I name the actual flags?

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:18:20 am »
Can the selectable spawn for the attackers have the ID of 0? This is convenient as the defender flags have to be 1 or higher. Is this attacker selectable spawn treated as just another flag? Can I give it a name similar to how I name the actual flags?
Yeah, should work with 0 as ID. And yeah, treated as a flag in many ways, but won't show up with a name currently, but I'll change it so attackers can see it's name on the map.

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:50 am »
Having gone through it yesterday I must say placing the spawns for both attackers is pretty tedious. Is there a way to change the Var ID before you put it down? I couldn't figure it out and having to go find them all and do it manually is a chore and allows a lot of mistakes. I found a good reason for not actually having 0 as the ID for your attacker spawn. Forgetting to change the ID of one of the later attacker spawns will have attackers spawn behind enemy lines at the start.

Otherwise I thought the system worked pretty well and the guide explains it well enough. Didn't realise you have to put down both attacker and defender spawns per flag seperately, which makes balancing maps a lot easier. It's a shame that you can't just type in names for flags, but the stock names provide good coverage. Maybe one called church or abbey would be nice.

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:57:48 pm »
+2
yeah, we've still got like 70 names free, so more can be added. edit: http://forum.meleegaming.com/scene-editing/siege-beta-flag-names/

I could perhaps split the spawn points into different props. For example, you place attacker_spawn_1 for flag with id = 1, attacker_spawn_2 for flag with id = 2, which means you don't have to edit the vars at all except for the flags themselves. That should probably make it easier to avoid spawns with wrong flag links.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:24:30 pm by Ozin »

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:47:01 pm »
Another thing that could improve this mode: A different type of selectable spawns. I would like to do one for the attackers, which they can only use once they conquered a certain type/layer of flags!
An example: Attackers spawn far away from the gatehouse in the beginning. Once they captured it they can also spawn beneath it and right infront of it. But i don't want to just set some spawnpoints down below and make it random if you spawn up in the gatehouse or down infront of the gate, i'd like that the players would be able to choose.

(Ofc that is utterly useless for gatehouses where you can just simply go down, or if you just build a stairway to go down, but i could imagine castles where it would be nice to force people to choose walls or courtyards as spawnpoints)

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Main: Qunicy_En_Dotter; Alts: Guardian_En_Dotter; Guardian_Spiralle
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 01:53:42 am »
Could you sticky this or maybe add to peasant's woman's guide?
Its kinda good stuff for mapa makers (like myself) and it should be at one place or close to other important infos.
Nothing is better than eternal happiness.
Eating a sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, eating a sandwich is better than eternal happiness.