Author Topic: Ranged vs. Non Ranged Video Guide  (Read 1521 times)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Ranged vs. Non Ranged Video Guide
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:04:04 am »
With all the recent discussions about ranged-fighters (RF from now on) vs. non-ranged-fighters (NRF from now on) different opinions are expressed. Many NRF claim that RF are impossilbe to counter, although some NRF claim that they never really had problems with RF. Of course, as in any group of society, the mojority of all people neither being extremely highskilled, nor exceptionally lowskilled leads to different levels of perception throuhout the community regarding the current quarrel.

The whole topic pretty much reminds me of the "spam problem" that M&B suffered from ever since, or to be more precise, the problem of accusing players of spamming as an excuse for the personal lack of comprehension of the game mechanics.

A very adorable person made this video to contribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZnl09qBKM
A gameplay video with little comments explaining what player error in specific lead to death in the corresponding situation, to show that "Deaths are due to player error and not a "spam" problem."

Of course the video is outdated, with the game being released for a longer time by now and players therefore to gain a lot more experience, the skill of the average player increased since then. Nevertheless the video shows you analasys of actual footage instead of forum posts which mostly consist of "i g0tz shoT with short baw on arm an die frum fu,l HP >:["

To connect this to the current RF vs. NRF disputes:

Being an archer I very much know what their weaknesses are, which may be the reason I commonly survive under the focused fire of 3 or more RF, long enough to take a few other targets out. Knowing and exploiting their weaknesses -by the way- is also the reason duels between experienced archers often take ages as evading arrowhits is ruffly 5 times easier to hit with an arrow.

Sadly, from an archers point of view the majority NRF just act like they beg to be shot with no or little endeavour to evade a hit. I know this has been expressed by many RF on the forum, but the fact that this only happened in written form so far, is not allowing for the insight needed to get the big picture in my opinion.

What I ask for now, is one of the more experienced NRF to create a video in the same manner to the one posted above. Sadly my skills in video-editing are fairly limited. It would be pleasing to see some NRF gameplay footage, showing that "Projectile hits are due to player error and not a "ranged" problem". Ideally there would be a wrong/right example for the most common NRF errors, individually commenting on what action would have prevented getting hit by RF ( walking in a straight line, repeating dodge algorithm, awareness, no use of bowbump as shielder, so on ...) .

Even better of course would be if an archer could also record such a video, commenting on the NRF error from his/her point of view and also to show NRF what RF have to deal with ( lack of accuracy, bugged hitboxes, teamblocks, impenetrable forcefields, so on ... )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwsH2Y-I3c
This one is highly outdated.

Last but not least:
I dont want to discuss wether nerfs or balancechanges that are present are reasonable or not, we already had 10 other threads for that in the past few days. I just want people to have an equal state of knowledge before we go on with infite threads adressed to this neverending ragefest. Therefore Id much appreciate mods deleting rageposts in the firstplace.

So is anyone willing to star ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:07:53 am by XyNox »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged vs. Non Ranged Video Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:09:06 am »
most of Crpg players aren't that shit like those native spammer on that video :D so it's not so educational.

EDIT: And that archery video :mrgreen: , archery was totally  op back then
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:10:40 am by joosto »
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Re: Ranged vs. Non Ranged Video Guide
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:57:00 am »
EDIT: And that archery video :mrgreen: , archery was totally  op back then

And from what you read on the forums it seems half of the NRF here think it is still like that or close to. For those people a fresh new video, that shows that attackspeed and accuracy was cut drasticly and also JUMPSHOTS, among some other things are not possilbe at all would be nice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login