Author Topic: Donkey Crew new game: Last Oasis  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Crew new game: Last Oasis
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2020, 01:37:24 am »
So how skillbased is the game? Anyone who was actually good in cRPG/Warband tried it? It looks like it's all about numbers and the combat is really laggy, but it's hard to say for sure because all the streamers suck.

theres a few videos ive seen of people winning outnumbered. both skill and numbers matter, 100 players who cant block will get wrecked and just friendly fire each other.

this one is from a clan member in beta, some of the mechanics are different now like bandaging. I'm told people who really get hang of grappling can just avoid getting hit loads.

anyway if you are on fence dont buy the game for at least a week because servers are 80% not up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:43:54 am by Banok »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2020, 04:41:11 am »
lol they look like a bunch of clones, a far cry from crpg, even bannerlord which is worse than warband is more fun than last oasis.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2020, 06:45:39 am »
Grappling hook does seem way too powerful of a tool in a melee game.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2020, 06:52:24 am »
theres a few videos ive seen of people winning outnumbered. both skill and numbers matter, 100 players who cant block will get wrecked and just friendly fire each other.

this one is from a clan member in beta, some of the mechanics are different now like bandaging. I'm told people who really get hang of grappling can just avoid getting hit loads.

anyway if you are on fence dont buy the game for at least a week because servers are 80% not up.

What bothers me most about the combat is how unsatisfactory it looks. Like there's zero power behind the strikes, no impact on enemies, etc. It's a combination of a ton of factors, like the sounds, the weapon animations, the movement, the flinch animations, etc., etc. Just a very weak impression overall. Compare to Mordhau, where the combat feels extremely visceral and satisfying. Meaty sounds are definitely a big part of it. The blocking and hit sounds in LO are horrible and add to the "fighting with toothpicks" impression. Here's a video of back when I sucked at Mordhau, but it still felt fun because of how satisfying the combat was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avsfE6I2Oh4

But yeah, that footage makes it pretty clear that proper 1vX isn't possible against people with a clue, especially now that you presumably can't bandage while sprinting. You need dedicated 1vX mechanics to really enable that, like, again, Mordhau has.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:57:22 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2020, 06:56:56 am »
So Mordhau killed crpg twice
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2020, 10:27:55 am »
What bothers me most about the combat is how unsatisfactory it looks. Like there's zero power behind the strikes, no impact on enemies, etc. It's a combination of a ton of factors, like the sounds, the weapon animations, the movement, the flinch animations, etc., etc. Just a very weak impression overall. Compare to Mordhau, where the combat feels extremely visceral and satisfying. Meaty sounds are definitely a big part of it. The blocking and hit sounds in LO are horrible and add to the "fighting with toothpicks" impression. Here's a video of back when I sucked at Mordhau, but it still felt fun because of how satisfying the combat was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avsfE6I2Oh4

But yeah, that footage makes it pretty clear that proper 1vX isn't possible against people with a clue, especially now that you presumably can't bandage while sprinting. You need dedicated 1vX mechanics to really enable that, like, again, Mordhau has.

The combat is not even close to Mordhau, as you have seen from the video. You can shit on people now even 1vX because lots don't have Warband background, but I imagine it gets far harded to fight 1 vs many against people that know how to block. In comparison, it's also worse visually (sound, animations, feedback, things you mentioned basically, Mordhau does that really well), but it's still one of the better survival MMO combat systems.

The biggest problem right now is that their servers are getting pounded, haven't been able to log in since day 1. The first 2-3 hours I played were okayish tho, it's not a horrible game, but if you're looking for a game where it's mostly about skill and not number/gear advantage then you can safely pass this.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:31:15 am by Vibe »

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2020, 07:29:13 pm »
yeah the term litterally unplayable actually applies since can't log in 90% of the time since release, very frustrating because it is a really good game. the basic gameplay loop of having a moving base, collecting randomly spawning resources etc. is way more fun than the standard base building survival formula.

as for melee well honestly I never played mordau and have no interest in trying tbh, the animations/combat just look like pvkii which is a very fun game but doesn't take itself seriously. so ultimately its all subjective I guess.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 06:55:18 am »
It's not about comparing how the combat plays out, it's about how it feels. May as well compare it to Dishonored 2. Mordhau, (or Dishonored 2...) has combat that feels weighty and satisfying (again, thanks in large part to stuff like the audio of hitting and getting hit, animations of hitting and getting hit, etc). LO does not. How it actually plays isn't relevant in that discussion.

Shame about the numbers thing, it wouldn't be that difficult to make it mostly about skill and not numbers, if you added mechanics that allowed for legitimate 1vX potential against people who have a clue. IMO a melee game especially REALLY needs that, otherwise swarming becomes a massive and boring problem. At least in shooty shooty games it's a lot easier to stop people just stupidly swarming you with numbers.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 01:40:45 pm »
Am stuck in main menu... only this time I'm not bombarded with Fin's crappy music on a loop.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 04:08:06 pm »
+2
Fin's crappy music on a loop.

You take that back!
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 10:41:44 pm »
ALl i want to say about this thread after last news : ahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaab pogo will read this,POGO I DRINK LOSER TEARS AS A MORNING REFLESHER AHAHAHAHAAHAHA chadz POGO AND ALL DIRTY ASSHOLES PLZ DONT COME BACK HERE AND RUIN THIS BEAUTIFUL FORUMS AGAIN!

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2020, 10:20:52 am »
You take that back!

Lol I love his music but as with all songs you gradually start to hate it when you listen too much.

I would've turned off music but no control on main menu and all that...

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2020, 01:05:41 pm »
+1
man i feel with donkey crew. every release the same crazyness + chadz looking like shit again lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbPAwFgN02g&feature=youtu.be

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2020, 01:22:22 pm »
+2
Each release shortens his life with a donkey year
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2020, 01:43:14 pm »
THE ONLY WAY TO REVIVE THIS GAME AND THE LAST OASIS IS GIVING ME ALL THE AUTHORITY XDXDXD AHANAHAHAHAHAH HE IS DYINGGGGG AHAHAHAHHA chadzZZZ PLZZZ make me admin