Author Topic: Melee Fundamentals by Darth Kronic(for any melee)  (Read 6124 times)

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
Melee Fundamentals by Darth Kronic(for any melee)
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »
+4
now here is a short lesson on how to fight in M&B(AFAIK), I will update this thread with people's worthy additions on "fighting" or with some of my tactics/succesful builds if people like the BASIC section and want to hear more

MELEE BASIC MANEUVERS

LMB=Left Mouse Button RMB=Right Mouse Button

SET YOUR ATTACKS AND BLOCKS IN YOUR OPTION MENU TO "CONTROLLED BY MOUSE*or inverse*" OR "CONTROLLED BY KEYBOARD", 
 then I highly recommend playing single player arena just a lil bit to familiarize yourself with what BLOCKING and ATTACKING consists of.

BASIC BLOCKING  : Block in the same direction the enemy attack, i.e. an enemy overhead attack is blocked by a overhead block

(if you use keyboard, same DIRECTIONAL(WASD)key will block/attack just switch from LMB to RMB for a block)

I use attack/block by keyboard direction, many do not, I have played the game(original M&B) for years, it feels like its been out a decade by now, I used to use mouse direction........

but when I attack or block I like to spin around too and that can get annoying with mouse while keyboard is one quick keyslap

NOTE: EVEN IF A CRUSHTHROUGH WEAPON IS GOING TO OVERHEAD U
*and you can't somehow dodge out of the way or hit him with a quick hit*, BEST CHANCE IS TO FACEHUG ENEMY WITH A HIGHLY HELD OVERHEAD BLOCK 
 AND INTERCEPT THE SWING EARLY(ESPECIALLY WITH HEAVIER WEAPONS/SHIELDS), LETTING THE SWING NEAR COMPLETION BEFORE IT STRIKES IS A SUREFIRE WAY TO DIE

(REMEMBER HEAVIER WEAPONS/SHIELDS PROTECT VS CRUSHTHROUGH)

PS if your weapon/shield is light, you better be bobbing and weaving and hopefully iniatiating a feint that turns into a good attack for the first part of the engagement, then draw back after the hit and see if you can pull it off again

CHAMBERING YOUR WEAPON BEFORE AN ATTACK  
: You can hold an attack before you release it by not letting go of LMB, this is a very important concept in fighting in mount and blade, and not just as it pertains to chamber blocking, which is more often an accidental conseqence of chambering in general, you chamber a attack while the LMB is held down, if you use RMB you stop the chamber(and being a block), you can even stop the swing in first half of animation after you release an attack(which is a "feint")

FEINTING   is accomplished by ending an swing by using RMB before midswing and starting another one in a different direction immediately thereafter

Result of a Feint
: Your enemy sees your animation and blocks the wrong direction of your *real* attack

*WARNING UNBALANCED WEAPON PENALTY*-  

Unbalanced weapons are slower to stop swings, so remember that whatever speed the weapon says for 1 v 1 it is going to be even harder(especially against anyone decent)

HOW TO USE FEINTING IN COMBAT  : You chamber an attack with and you notice enemy is already blocking that direction, quickly tap block to cancel last attack and then chamber and attack in a different direction, if your enemy does manage to have pre-readied the block for the new attack, cancel it before midswing*feint* and attack immediately from another direction,

CHAMBER BLOCKING (often called chambering)
Your enemy is swinging an attack at you, right before it hits you: you can "chamberblock" his attack by readying your own attack of the same direction, timing is critical I highly recommend finding someone in the duel server to practice

SPEED BONUS

Did you know your rotation into/away from an attack and the relative speeds of both targets play into how much damage you deal? This is the inherent effect of the "Speed" Bonus to damage(can be negative % as well i.e. to characters moving/rotating away from each other)

Speed bonus is best realized by playing single player as it actually tells you the speed bonus of various landed attacks based on what you were doing at the time

Basically the easiest way to understand it is when a cavalry charges and does massive damage with his 1hander because his horse was galloping past you at full speed when his weapon connected to your body(and may have caused +50% damage than normal or more)

did you know your various rotations/foot movements will change the speed bonus(or minus!) to damage that your swing does!

Knowing how this works is fundamental to killing people, you can very easily be on foot and be getting +75% damage from this bonus(or more), I highly recommend testing this out in single player, the "arena" is very easy to have continuous fights(althrough enemies do not feint there)

HELD ATTACK BONUS
If you HOLD an attack for a ~1/2 second before releasing, you get a stronger attack than if u just release immediately  (You've probably been stunned by a held attack and didn't realize it, it tends to force the enemy to have to block a second time after that attack due to the "stunlock" from the heavy hit)

EFFECT OF WEIGHT OF WEAPONS/SHIELDS

Remember the heavier your weapon/shield is, the better it is of causing "Stun" to other weapons or shields when they block your attack, if you use a light weapon or shield prepare to block twice in instances where a powerful heavy weapon swing has hit you, it takes time to recognize what being "Stunned" is but realizing that it is a game mechanic will help you
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:26:44 pm by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Re: Melee Fundamentals by Darth Kronic(for any melee)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »
just thoght about something... if a crushtrough weap overheads against you, wouldnt a jump combined with overhead block give you a good chance of blocking it?

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:05:13 am »
just thoght about something... if a crushtrough weap overheads against you, wouldnt a jump combined with overhead block give you a good chance of blocking it?

Hmm, interesting thought, gotta test it :p
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:06:24 am by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:48:52 am »
All good except for the fact that the speed bonus goes around 150%, even more, on a horse and close to 75% on foot.
This way a high agi character can do a lot of damages by using the soeed bonus at his advantage.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:50 am »
All good except for the fact that the speed bonus goes around 150%, even more, on a horse and close to 75% on foot.
This way a high agi character can do a lot of damages by using the soeed bonus at his advantage.

yea I upped it, went into single player been so long, but the point is there *speed bonus is important*

and of course your enemy stepping into your swing counts toward it too (or like a horseman getting impaled for example)

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:30:18 am »
Hence why stabbing in the face works so well :)
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:53:33 am »
I made a test some time ago. I had great maul and 7PS, the oponent had 5 skill shield and like 6 weigh shield(cant remember exactly). While test I always did simple strikes, without holding. While standing still crushthrough overhead always worked. But when oponent ran towards me and while moving blocked my strike with simple click(without holding), the crushthrough didnt worked. Made this test 10 times, and shielder always blocked overhead.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:38:59 am by DarkFox »

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 04:52:30 am »
I made a test some time ago. I had great maul and 7PS, the oponent had 5 skill shield and like 6 weigh shield(cant remember exactly). While test I always did simple strikes, without holding. While standing still crushthrough overhead always worked. But when oponent ran towards me and while moving blocked my strike with simple click(without holding), the crushthrough didnt worked. Made this test 10 times, and shielder always blocked overhead.

If the shielder (or whoever) is moving away and blocks at the very limit of the great mauls range this sometimes happens as well. Even when I had 12ps this happened, though rarely.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:08:36 am »
You forgot to mention the attack by inverse mouse direction (which is more intuitive IMO). And that hitting the head, even with a melee weapon, does much more damage (the net damage after armor is multiplied by 2 or 3 I don't remember)

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:44 pm »
changed to include "inverse" mouse choice

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 03:38:40 pm »
updated with held attack bonus, enjoy

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 05:34:33 am »
I don't understand :(

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »
I don't understand :(

updated with the effect of weight with relation to "weapon stun", if theres anything you need clarified ask me so I can revamp this and make it easier to read, I'm really aiming at a "Crash Course in Melee Mechanics in Bullet Points" not a novella

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »
+2
slightly revised for clarification, might reformat all this it for more clarity soon

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:52 pm »
you know if a person is able to understand what I wrote up there, this is actually the most technical information on how melee mechanics work in this forum(I read the other peoples, just a bunch of fluff)

really understanding things like the timing of chambering other peoples attacks, block/attack directions and speed bonus makes a huge difference in combat, or else you'll be someone complaining about glancing/losing

or just use left swing alot

PS anyone want to explain nudging, is it just the effect of running over someone when ur W keying and push them back animation-wise

MINOR PROTIP oh yea ranged guys get bumped easy (like a thrower in throwing mode for example)

PS A WEAPONS "SPEED"= way more important than your wpp