Poll

Which are you more excited about/see yourself playing?

Of Kings and Men
28 (24.3%)
Bannerlord
39 (33.9%)
Both, duh.
36 (31.3%)
Neither, dick.
5 (4.3%)
Other...
7 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: June 23, 2016, 07:42:49 pm

Author Topic: Which are you more excited about/see yourself playing?  (Read 10642 times)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Which are you more excited about/see yourself playing?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 11:53:58 pm »
+1
A question to those who said you don't like the 'stances-combat', did you play it or is your opinion just based on the description of it?
opinion just based on the description of it
I'd much prefer a free flow combat system similar to Warband. You left click to attack and right click to block, all in the desired direction, with no restrictions. Stances are fine as long as they're only a small bonus - for example being in "up" stance and getting hit by an "up" attack should decrease the damage taken, like in the current system. But stances should not restrict the direction of attacks - if you're in "right" and want to quickly attack "left", you should able to no problemo. In the current system (afaik) you first have to right click to change stance, and then left click to attack. There's also some weird button-holding stuff that only makes it more complicated.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 12:09:29 am »
+6
I think they did a huge mistake in introducing the therm 'stances'. Everyone (including me) seems to get a completely wrong notion of how combat works. As it is now stances just means that you have 8 ready positions from which you perform blocks and attacks. The huge step forward in this for me is that with this they got rid of the stupid splitting of holding and then releasing your swing like in Warband but instead have a fluid motion.

And what do you mean with no restrictions? You got four attack and block directions in warband.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 12:59:49 am »
And what do you mean with no restrictions? You got four attack and block directions in warband.
Yes, but in Warband you can attack and block any direction at any time. From what I understand, in MBG you first have to manually switch your stance before being able to attack from a different direction.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 01:11:50 am »
+2
Yes, but in Warband you can attack and block any direction at any time. From what I understand, in MBG you first have to manually switch your stance before being able to attack from a different direction.

By moving the mouse, yes. I guess you'll all see soon enough and there will be still enough who dislike it, but it is much more natural and fluid than you'd think especially if you kinda leave your mindset from M&B behind.

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 01:28:53 am »
+1
From what I understand, in MBG you first have to manually switch your stance before being able to attack from a different direction.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 01:35:40 am »
+4

You move the mouse while holding left clock in a direction to block, you release to attack. It's so fast and easy to move the direction around that you can block left, move mouse to the right a bit and release and have a right attack flow in after left block. All with mouse movement and only LMB, I absolutely love the system and Warband actually feels incredibly restrictive after it. Now I actually wish I could use controls like in OKAM in cRPG.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 01:43:36 am »
I think they did a huge mistake in introducing the therm 'stances'. Everyone (including me) seems to get a completely wrong notion of how combat works. As it is now stances just means that you have 8 ready positions from which you perform blocks and attacks. The huge step forward in this for me is that with this they got rid of the stupid splitting of holding and then releasing your swing like in Warband but instead have a fluid motion.

so does that mean in okam you now not only have to figure out which of the 4 attack directions your opponent is going to use like in warband so you can block it but have to figure out which of the many more directions said attack is coming from? Also on top of that figure out which stance your opponent is in and have to micro manage that as well, so you are in the right one? Because if this is how it is I will definitely be playing Bannerlords.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 01:46:34 am »
+2
so does that mean in okam you now not only have to figure out which of the 4 attack directions your opponent is going to use like in warband so you can block it but have to figure out which of the many more directions said attack is coming from? Also on top of that figure out which stance your opponent is in and have to micro manage that as well, so you are in the right one? Because if this is how it is I will definitely be playing Bannerlords.

You are waaaaaay overthinking it. If your block looks natural to block an incoming strike, it will block it. You don't have to play any guessing games in that regard. And you can block any direction at any time. You can even block stabs with side blocks if they hit it.

Essentially stances are blocks, just controlled differently and allow some faster attacks to be performed.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 02:21:31 am »
+6
I agree that the term stances is not very good wording. It came from a previous, outdated attempt at combat. We'll think about a better term.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 02:31:46 am »
+1
A question to those who said you don't like the 'stances-combat', did you play it

I did and for now I'm not that impressed. There's a potential, no denying, but it needs a lot of polishing. In its current state Okam's combat is subpar in comparison to M&B. And it will be hard to make it better or equally good as M&B, simpy because how good is M&B combat. Perfect is the enemy of good. But it's gonna be something quite different than bannerlord, that's for sure.

With Bannerlord we know what we're gonna get - refined warband. Little to no chance that TW won't deliver. Okam is quite a different story, hard to tell at this point what's gonna happen with it.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 06:20:00 am »
You move the mouse while holding left clock in a direction to block, you release to attack.

So you HAVE to attack after every block now? That just seems like they've over-simplified the process a little too much.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 06:49:18 am »
+1
I'm not sure how you can say that even the current OKAM combat is subpar to M&B. It's the same style of combat but with more control and freedom.

So you HAVE to attack after every block now? That just seems like they've over-simplified the process a little too much.
No no, you can still just block and cancel your held attack. It's just that readying your attack also acts as a block now. Also remember that you only have to hold LMB to swap between attack/block directions in OKAM; no more spam clicking to feint or change directions.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:29:31 am by Kelugarn »

Offline Cyber

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyber
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2016, 05:23:33 pm »
Probably bannerlord since what really hooked me about warband was the combat system and from the small amount of attention I have been paying it looks like the focus for donkey crew's project has been slowly shifting away from a more combat oriented arena type game to something more alongside open world, survival, crafting games, something like life in feudal, reign of kings etc and I haven't seen combat come even close to warband level in any of them and I think it would be quite difficult to do. But that is just the impression I gotten reading the forums for 10 minutes every month or so.

Still really looking forward to both of them though and will definitely try out them both.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:28:15 pm by Cyber »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2016, 05:34:38 pm »
I'm not sure how you can say that even the current OKAM combat is subpar to M&B. It's the same style of combat but with more control and freedom.
No no, you can still just block and cancel your held attack. It's just that readying your attack also acts as a block now. Also remember that you only have to hold LMB to swap between attack/block directions in OKAM; no more spam clicking to feint or change directions.
so now you only need to spam click 1 key instead of 2?
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2016, 06:08:36 pm »
Mordhau
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...